• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You watched #35

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriBel

Scooby
Oh you are both theoretically and practically right about Ozu
It was mostly luck 😉 Kurosawa aside, Ozu and Koreeda are really the only Japanese directors I'm familiar with (and I admit I've seen more of Koreeda's canon than the other two). I'm not well versed in the tradition...I watched Ozu because I wanted to know more about the representation of Japanese families after watching Like Father, Like Son...and I've just realised I haven't seen Koreeda's last four films (Shoplifters looks good) so it could well turn out to be an expensive comment. 😄

whatdBuffyDo
whatdBuffyDo
and a nonetheless appreciated comment 😄

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
Millenium Actress (2001) - 9/10
This film made me think that Amelia Brand in Nolan's Interstellar shares some obvious similarities with the main character here, Chiyoko. If you watched them both, let me know if you thought so as well!
Oh my, I don't know how I forgot about this but, Nolan's Inception itself is highly influenced by another film of Satoshi Kon, Paprika. It even includes an exact homage scene:

Christopher Nolan is a Satoshi Kon fan hehe. 😋 Now that I remembered this, my belief about the parallels between Chiyoko and Amelia Brand is even stronger.

Also, this a blog entry reminded me of how the best films are both local and global at the same time:

"While film fans may recognize some of the pop culture references in the movies-within-the-movie (the Akira Korusawa influences in the samurai feature being key among them), there are tons of Japanese references that are probably lost on western audiences. The details of the history of Japan might not be as clear, or the significance of the names be as distinct (Chiyoko’s last name, Fujiwara, which means “child of a thousand generations,” is also an aristocratic name, and the Fujiwara clan was in prominent political power at the turn of the 1st millennium AD). I suppose it would be equivalent to a British film having characters named Tudor or Cromwell. Just watching this movie made me realize how little Eastern history I know, and it’s not lost on me that my knowledge of their history is coming from movies, specifically a movie where they make historical movies."

@Mr Trick The title drew me right in. 😄 I want to see this doc, can I ask where you watched it?

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
The Belko Experiment - 5/10

I mean, it wasn't terrible but it pretty much plays how exactly how you'd expect, with zero surprises or originality. That being said, it was a mindlessly entertaining film.

Ripper - 6/10

A very weird and inconsistent film, this felt like it was made by a amateur filmmaker from a first draft of a script. That being said, I like the lead actress and there was an interesting idea buried in the mess.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
@Spanky "And somewhat unrealistic, or at least sanitized, based upon what I know of it".

I dunno...the use of what I presume are non-professional actors give it a documentary feel...it reminds me a bit of Agnes Varda...at the same time it feels idealistic. It could only be American...nowhere else is big enough. I'm torn between "that could be my life" and "Thank the powers that be it's not my life". It's kinda Into the Wild for Senior Citizens.
I didnt see as sanitised. The director chose to focus on the humanity of the people rather than the way they can be exploited and the horrors they encounter, and the way she films it gives it a poetic quality (her previous film The Rider is even more cinematic and just as sad)
But overall it came across to me as a really hard life especially for people of that age, and I found it heartbreaking that these people have pretty much been forgotten by society. Even a lot of the ones who seemed to enjoy the life gave the impression they didnt have much of a choice

Dogs of Winter

Potential
The Skin I Live In - 8
Almodovar does Frankenstein, and it is as unsettling as that sounds. Combines his usual melodrama with a more clinical feel which is strangely compelling

The Walk - 7.5
Retelling the story of the high wire artist who walked between the Twin Towers. The first half is kinda fun, but the film kicks into life halfway through. How they got to the top of the towers is filmed like a heist movie, and the recreation of the high wire footage is exhilarating.

Ford vs Ferrari (LeMans 66) - 7.5
Not a massive motor sport fan but it was a lot more entertaining than I expected and 2 really fun performances from Christian Bale and Matt Damon

TriBel

Scooby
I didnt see as sanitised.
I didn't see it as "sanitised" but, TBH, every time a truck pulled up on an almost empty car park I anticipated "something" horrible happening. 😏 You're right inasmuch as it focused "on the humanity of the people rather than the way they can be exploited" and it did it without sugaring the pill. I also wondered to what extent it was writing out of and against the "Road Movie" tradition? I remember Thelma and Louise briefly came to mind when I was watching it.
Even a lot of the ones who seemed to enjoy the life gave the impression they didnt have much of a choice
I'm not sure about that. I got the impression Fern had a choice but she'd sacrificed it for her husband out of love.
The Skin I Live In - 8
Almodovar does Frankenstein, and it is as unsettling as that sounds. Combines his usual melodrama with a more clinical feel which is strangely compelling
Great film (I like Almodovar). It's a while since I watched it but I remember it as slightly "comedic" before slipping into something resembling horror. I couldn't for the life of me tell you when it switched up. Unsettling - uncanny - works for me.
The Walk - 7.5
Enjoyed that too. Think I have a copy somewhere.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I also wondered to what extent it was writing out of and against the "Road Movie" tradition? I remember Thelma and Louise briefly came to mind when I was watching it.
I got a sense of that too - that feeling of wide open spaces and the way it was filmed. And how the feeling of the open road and its endless possibilities at the start begins to narrow in as the film goes on

Be interesting to see what she is allowed to do in a Marvel film next time out

I'm not sure about that. I got the impression Fern had a choice but she'd sacrificed it for her husband out of love.
Not so much with Fern although even with her she felt like a bit of a lost soul
But with some of the others it seemed like they had run out of options and were simply trying to make the best of it, rather than they were acting out a lifelong ambition

Great film (I like Almodovar). It's a while since I watched it but I remember it as slightly "comedic" before slipping into something resembling horror. I couldn't for the life of me tell you when it switched up. Unsettling - uncanny - works for me.
Not seen that many of his films but in the ones I have they can often be quite melodramatic which can give it a comedic feel at times

TriBel
TriBel
I think the words "very melodramatic" are what you're looking for!😄 They're gorgeous to look at though.

Ghost Boy

Scooby
2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984).

Starring Roy Scheider, Helen Mirren and John Lithgow.

5/10.

Priceless

Scooby
Maggie (2015) - Slow moving zombie horror with Arnie playing a very low key role. 6/10

Priceless

Scooby
Spectre (2015) - Quite enjoyed this one, liked the London gang all being involved and Fiennes getting to do a bit. The opening sequence was amazing, I re-watched it several times 8/10

Dogs of Winter

Potential
Soul - 8.5
Return to form in what makes Pixar at its best so great. Really funny, creative, visually inventive and full of heart (and soul !)

The Souvenir - 8
Understated yet deeply personal coming of age drama with 2 sensational performances at the heart of it

TriBel

Scooby
Soul - 8.5
Return to form in what makes Pixar at its best so great. Really funny, creative, visually inventive and full of heart (and soul !)
LOL! I gave up half way through.

@Dogs of Winter Sigh...it's been said before...:confused:...despite my love for Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye and Al Green. :)

Last edited:
Dogs of Winter
Dogs of Winter
What!!! Than you've obviously got no soul 😂😂

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
(Re-Watch) Copycat - 7/10
Just a really fun 90s film about a serial killer, with bonus Sigourney Weaver in the lead. I've seen it a bunch of times, it's one I can go back and watch over and over again. Also, Harry Connick Jr. at his ugliest is somehow amazing at the same time.

(Re-Watch) Where the Heart Is - 11/10
Still a favorite, forgot how much it makes me cry. Keeps me engaged from the moment the first scene plays to the very last one, partly because it never drags or is boring, which could be because it's based on a book, lol.

Kidnapped: Natascha Kampusch - N/A
I ain't rating a documentary where the story is literally told from the victim's own voice while we see pictures of the actual location she was held in for eight years. One word; chilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom