• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
New thread!

Bullitt - 8.5/10
One of my all-time favorites. McQueen is absolutely badass and I just looooove Lalo Schifrin's score. Oh, and that car chase. Damn.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
I love Bullitt! I want the Bullitt car! lol

Mr Trick

Scooby
Night of the Comet (1984) 3/10

Very dull 80's cheesy b-movie. Not even so bad its good, just very flat, the visual style is awful, the acting beyond bad, and the dialouge really bad for the most part.

white avenger

white avenger
The Hateful Eight 2/10

I like both Russell and Jackson, and Westerns are my favorite film genre, so I was really looking forward to a treat with this movie. Instead, I saw a something with more blood and gratuitous violence than a samurai movie and more profanity than Navy boot camp, and a truly terrible story line.

The only reason that I rated this as 2 was because I didn't have to pay to see it.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The Hateful Eight 2/10

I like both Russell and Jackson, and Westerns are my favorite film genre, so I was really looking forward to a treat with this movie. Instead, I saw a something with more blood and gratuitous violence than a samurai movie and more profanity than Navy boot camp, and a truly terrible story line.

The only reason that I rated this as 2 was because I didn't have to pay to see it.

Yep that pretty much sums up Taratino post-Jackie Brown;) The guy really needs to stop writing his own scripts. Writing is his weakest aspect. Out of interest did you watch it in 70mm or normal?

Yep that pretty much sums up Taratino post-Jackie Brown;) The guy really needs to stop writing his own scripts. Writing is his weakest aspect. Out of interest did you watch it in 70mm or normal?

@white avenger I'll let you off. And if you really disliked it as much as you say then it maybe a good thing you didn't pay to see it:D

white avenger
white avenger
I watched it on the internet, which is, of course totally illegal. The closest to a defense that I can give is that I wasn't the one who downloaded it, and it wasn't played on my computer.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
Sounds like a blast! I know the story (or a majority of it) because I read the script, so I know I like it. Your rating isn't surprising, though, considering your favorite actor is John Wayne and not Franco Nero.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sounds like a blast! I know the story (or a majority of it) because I read the script, so I know I like it. Your rating isn't surprising, though, considering your favorite actor is John Wayne and not Franco Nero.

But then I don't expect Hateful8 to be a traditional Western anyway. So its fair to say that if you like that sort of Western then you might not be a fan of this film?

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
But then I don't expect Hateful8 to be a traditional Western anyway. So its fair to say that if you like that sort of Western then you might not be a fan of this film?
Exactly. Italian Westerns were a major influence on Tarantino's films, not the American Westerns where the hero never ever shoots the villain in the back.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Pain And Gain: 8.5/10. The best Micheal Bay movie you'll ever likely to see because it actually has something intelligent to say. Bay's trademark visual style (ott voyeuristic) actually plays into the films themes about buffed, beautiful but ultimately shallow and corrupt people doing really stupid things because they think they have a right to.
The fact that its based on a true story adds a level of Coen bros-esque black humour (its very funny in some places) to it all. It's the closeest MB well ever get to making Fargo.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Pain And Gain: 8.5/10. The best Micheal Bay movie you'll ever likely to see because it actually has something intelligent to say. Bay's trademark visual style (ott voyeuristic) actually plays into the films themes about buffed, beautiful but ultimately shallow and corrupt people doing really stupid things because they think they have a right to.
The fact that its based on a true story adds a level of Coen bros-esque black humour (its very funny in some places) to it all. It's the closeest MB well ever get to making Fargo.

I have huge doubts over this reading. I've not seen the film, and find your comments interesting. But, I just think its a case of the characters being so nasty and superfical, combined with the "Its based on a true story" gimmick which has made people apply things which just arn't there. Also, wouldn't you say Bad Boys and The Rock are better films? Not sure I can see Bay ever improving on them.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I have huge doubts over this reading.

Okay.

I've not seen the film

Oh, well. I'd recommend it then. It's got some really funny moments. I was skeptical too, mainly about Bay's involvement.
But the casting is good enough to make up for it.

But, I just think its a case of the characters being so nasty and superfical, combined with the "Its based on a true story" gimmick which has made people apply things which just arn't there.

The thing is the characters don't start off nasty and superficial, they start off simply dissatified with their life and cook up a simple' scheme to get rich quick. Then their actions corrupt them. But I would say that it has a couple of likealbe characters in: 'Ed Harris as a retired PI is fine, Dwayne Johnson's character, even though he does terrible things, is somewhat sympathetic.

Also, wouldn't you say Bad Boys and The Rock are better films? Not sure I can see Bay ever improving on them.

But they're just action movies. At the end of the day they're simple popcorn entertainment but I wouldn't call them movies that have something to say. In fact both movies you've named are a little OTT for my tastes, ripe for parody.
I would almost say that the F&F movies are parodies of Micheal Bay movies, but they seem utterly unaware of how awful they are.

Like I said this is the closest MB will ever get to making a movie that somebody would think qualifies as 'clever' or at least attempting to say something.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Me neither, was just pointing out than Blockbusters can be good when done right.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Okay.

Oh, well. I'd recommend it then. It's got some really funny moments. I was skeptical too, mainly about Bay's involvement.
But the casting is good enough to make up for it.

The thing is the characters don't start off nasty and superficial, they start off simply dissatified with their life and cook up a simple' scheme to get rich quick. Then their actions corrupt them. But I would say that it has a couple of likealbe characters in: 'Ed Harris as a retired PI is fine, Dwayne Johnson's character, even though he does terrible things, is somewhat sympathetic.

But they're just action movies. At the end of the day they're simple popcorn entertainment but I wouldn't call them movies that have something to say. In fact both movies you've named are a little OTT for my tastes, ripe for parody.
I would almost say that the F&F movies are parodies of Micheal Bay movies, but they seem utterly unaware of how awful they are.

Like I said this is the closest MB will ever get to making a movie that somebody would think qualifies as 'clever' or at least attempting to say something.

To be honest I don't know if I even rate them that highly, but to me they are the closest he has come to good films. But maybe, he is incapable of making films with depth. It might be best just to stick to the dumb action films. Also, there's nothing wrong with pop corn flicks if done effective. Back to the Future, Die Hard and Ghostbusters are pop corn flicks and their awesome!:p

thetopher
thetopher
I wouldn't put those three movies in the same league as say, Armaggedon or Transformers or even The Rock.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Dope 4.5/5

It was a great movie. Was nostalgic without being nostalgic. Was funny and scary at the same time. It had a jumpscare that would rival any horror movie because it was so unexpected. My mouth dropped open and I was kinda in disbelief. Unlike Spike Lee's Chi Raq (2/5) which seemed to be a message with a movie hidden in it, I was surprised there was actually much more to this movie than I thought. The monologue at the end lessened it, but I understood why it was needed.

It really reminded me alot of Risky Business. Plus the soundtrack was crackin.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Watcher
Black Thorn
John Wick 7.5/10

I must admit, I didn't expect much. You don't tend to go to a Keanu Reeves film for any amount of substance, but overall I enjoyed it. The action was well paced and there was a certain amount of mystery to the character of John Wick and who he was that kept you actually wanting to find out. Keanu Reeves was very much Keanu Reeves. Nice to look at, good enough in the role to warrant watching but not really stretched in any sort of acting ability. There are some fab cameos too.

I must admit to bursting into uncontrollable tears at one point, completely unexpectedly. That's not a measure of the film's quality, it's probably more the opposite. The fact it evoked such an emotional reaction isn't a detriment to the film at all. If you've seen the film, you probably know which scene I mean and due to a recent loss in my family, it hit me hard. 99% of viewers probably won't bat an eyelid but for me, it mattered a great deal.

Would I watch it again? No. But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

thetopher
thetopher
It was the puppy, right? That was heartbreaking. :(
white avenger
white avenger
Any real Southerner could have told those guys, you mess with a man's ride or his dog, and there will be sheer Hell to pay.

Mr Trick

Scooby
John Wick 7.5/10

I must admit, I didn't expect much. You don't tend to go to a Keanu Reeves film for any amount of substance, but overall I enjoyed it. The action was well paced and there was a certain amount of mystery to the character of John Wick and who he was that kept you actually wanting to find out. Keanu Reeves was very much Keanu Reeves. Nice to look at, good enough in the role to warrant watching but not really stretched in any sort of acting ability. There are some fab cameos too.

I must admit to bursting into uncontrollable tears at one point, completely unexpectedly. That's not a measure of the film's quality, it's probably more the opposite. The fact it evoked such an emotional reaction isn't a detriment to the film at all. If you've seen the film, you probably know which scene I mean and due to a recent loss in my family, it hit me hard. 99% of viewers probably won't bat an eyelid but for me, it mattered a great deal.

Would I watch it again? No. But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

Oh Nix will love you! This is like one of her favourite movies ever!:p

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Action movies can be good (see The Dark Knight). Pretty much any genre can, depending on the writing/actin/directing.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
No Country for Old Men - 8/10
The first time I watched this, I was quite disappointed. I wasn't familiar with the Coen Brothers' style at all, so all these random events and the anti-climactic story kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. The second time was better (as with all Coen Brothers films that I've seen, which means I'll have to give Fargo another shot) and this third time it was just a great film. It's incredibly atmospheric, very suspenseful, and weirdly comedic at times. And it's just visually stunning. Might need to buy this on blu-ray.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
No Country for Old Men - 8/10
The first time I watched this, I was quite disappointed. I wasn't familiar with the Coen Brothers' style at all, so all these random events and the anti-climactic story kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. The second time was better (as with all Coen Brothers films that I've seen, which means I'll have to give Fargo another shot) and this third time it was just a great film. It's incredibly atmospheric, very suspenseful, and weirdly comedic at times. And it's just visually stunning. Might need to buy this on blu-ray.
Well done for the commitment to giving it another go. The only thing I can remember from watching this film is that a strange weapon was used and it was boring throughout. I wouldn't have the patience to try again.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
Well done for the commitment to giving it another go. The only thing I can remember from watching this film is that a strange weapon was used and it was boring throughout. I wouldn't have the patience to try again.
You found it boring? I didn't even find it boring the first time I watched it. I was just disappointed by the ending. I don't think it's boring at all. I'd call it slow-burning, which works to the film's advantage.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I think its a masterpiece. Maybe their best ever film.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
You found it boring?
Yeah I'm afraid so. I remember a mean looking guy with the air powered weapon? Woody Harrelson. A bag of money perhaps? I see a lot of films and this left no impression really other than being a bit dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom