• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #28

Mr Trick

Scooby
Better Watch Out (2017) 4/10
Bland seasonal horror movie, with mostly weak characters. The attempts to work black comedy into didn't really work. The ending was decent. But it wasn't scary and had very little surprises.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Peppermint - 8/10
This was a really good movie. Jennifer Garner is bad ass! (I've not seen Alias) The first act was super sad, and then stuff gets crazy. It was like a female John Wick or The Punisher. It has a small misdirect that I didn't see coming but didn't really affect anything. Overall, it was a very entertaining movie, even better than I thought it would be.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
♥ the first season of Alias
found this movie kind of weak, though
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Still on my list to watch. Not sure if it got a UK release if it did was very small.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Birdbox (2018) - 8.5/10
This was a really good movie. My friend and I were very wrapped up in it, speaking of different subjects that it brought up. There are only two things that keep it from being a round 9 and they are both spoilers, so keep that in mind.
The unnecessary flashback right after Tom dies, Jesus, we literally just saw that scene, kinda annoying. And then that damn, Americanized, ending. They just can't let us have anything but cheesy happiness. I mean, c'mon, what are the chances of that doc being at the same place as her former patient?
Anyway, Sandra Bullock was really great, I was thrilled to see John Malkovich, and it was suitably tense as it was meant to be. I loved how we kept getting answers throughout the film, instead of having narration telling us everything in the first 10 minutes. Very smart story-telling, IMO.

Athene
Athene
Have you seen ‘The Happening’?

TriBel

Scooby
The Wolf of Wall Street 8/10

Imagine clinging to a rope tied to the bumper of a car doing 100 mph through a very long tunnel. You know the road's gonna end in a brick wall but, as much as you try, you can't bring yourself to let go of the rope. That's how I felt watching WoWS. It had its upside. I don't - for some reason - like DiCaprio and so really enjoyed seeing him give an excellent performance of someone I could legitimately hate. :D

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
AN oldie now but a goodie...

What Women Want 9/10 love a good girlie giggle!

Puppet

Black Thorn
@Athene Have you seen 'The Happening'?

I have, yes. Bird Box is far superior, imo :)

Athene
Athene
Fair enough I think they’re both better in different ways

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The Rehash of Mary Poppins - 2/10

Starting the year off with a shameless cash grab. I knew it would be awful but curiosity got the better of my partner so we went to see it. Everyone is more or less doing a poor impression of something or someone from the original. There's no reason to watch this instead of or as well as the first one.

white avenger

white avenger

Starting the year off with a shameless cash grab. I knew it would be awful but curiosity got the better of my partner so we went to see it. Everyone is more or less doing a poor impression of something or someone from the original. There's no reason to watch this instead of or as well as the first one.
Sure there is. Grandchildren. Ours both loved it. Plus, I had fun spotting all the animated animals/characters from Disney movies of the past, and the cameos by Van Dyke and Lansbury (Julie Andrews no longer with us, unfortunately) were pleasant surprises.

I guess you have to be very young or very old to appreciate it.

GraceK
GraceK
Julie Andrews isn’t dead

Mr Trick

Scooby

Emily Blunt's in it. That casting is gold! I'm going today and I'm pretty sure its going to be fine:p I don't have a massive problem with this one. Its been 50 years since the original film.

Escape from New York [1981] 8/10
Snake is one of Russell's most iconic characters. The supporting cast are really strong too including the late Harry Dean Stanton and Donald Pleasence who are nicely understated. Its quite a simple plot but it has that classic Carpenter style, tension and the grittiness.

Puppet

Black Thorn
The Incredibles - 7.5/10
Just a great film, that I hadn't seen since it originally came out ages ago. You can all figure out why I saw it now, I'm sure, if not you're about to find out. It's nowhere near the best I've seen from either Pixar or Disney, so the rating isn't as high as some might give it, but I still really enjoyed it.

The Incredibles 2 - 7/10
So, this one got a slightly less rating than the other one, and here's why; the first movie, the bad guy was the same person that hired Mr. Incredible - the second movie, the bad guy was the same one that hired Elastigirl. I was very disappointed by this turn of events because it was far too similar to the first one like they couldn't think of anything different. But it was still a good movie, funny and I loved the parts with Jack-Jack.

Underdog - 7/10
I have seen this a lot over the years and it never gets old. It's definitely not perfect and, clearly, a family film meant for children. There are a ton of head-scratching things that adults notice but kids probably don't, but I can't help my guilty pleasure for this. I love Jim Belushi. I love Jason Lee. I love Patrick Warburton. So, yeah, great film despite its inherent flaws :)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
white avenger
white avenger
Oops! I could have sworn that I read her obituary somewhere recently, about the same time that Burt Reynolds died. As Mark Twain said, "The rumors of (her) death were exaggerated."

Puppet

Black Thorn
What?! Like... Underdog Underdog? There's no need to fear Underdog is here? They made a movie outta it?
Hell yeah, they did, like way back in 2007 or something! Live action and everything :D

Mr Trick

Scooby
Wait isn't Julie Andrews still alive. Speaking of which...

Mary Poppins Returns - 7/10
I really enjoyed it though it had a slow start. Emily Blunt is dynamite, it was good seeing the underrated Emily Mortimer involved too. The songs were mostly good too. If you like the original I think you are probably going to like this one.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
♥ Emily Mortimer

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Birdbox 6/10
Mediocre semi thriller. I wouldnt call it scary enough to be horror, and I scare easy. I am a bit thankful it wasnt a jumpscare type. Opening scene was the scariest part. The first half was better than the last half. The unknown made it creepy and it was explained too much/fast. The flashbacks were odd and I knew not to bother investing interest in characters that were obviously dead. Some parts were predictable. They all appeared to have the same scary face acting coach. Living in the supermarket was a brilliant idea. They obviously paid big bucks for some of the cast. I want to read Charlies book.

I was concerned that crazy people dont get suicidal when they see the monster thing, way to stigmatise us further. Did they show the monster thing? Did I miss it?

The kids were freaky looking. It was cute where they end up. Disappointed that girl wasnt named Cinderella. The birds at the end were so fake and really left it on a lame note. How hard is it to release a couple of real birds instead of crappy computer generated ones?

white avenger

white avenger
"Sinbad The Sailor" (1947) 9/10

Douglas Fairbanks, jr in the title role, Maurine O'Hara as the love interest, and Anthony Quinn as the bad guy. Adventure and derring do on the high seas, romance, all around fun for the whole family, and not a single frame of CGI in the entire thing. They, quite literally, don't make 'em like that anymore.

Top Bottom