• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #28

white avenger

white avenger
Louis Lamour's "The Quick And The Dead" (1987) 8/10

Not to be confused with the Sharon Stone and Gene Hickman movie made some years later.

Sometimes, I've just gotta have me a good cowboy movie, and this is one of my favorites. Sam Elliot plays the mysterious stranger who befriends a man, his wife, and son as they travel west. A gang of outlaws trail after the little group, intent on murder, robbery, and rape. Unfortunately for them, their would be victims prove to be very uncooperative.

It's a made for TV movie, one of several that Sam Elliot made over the course of a few years, for, I think, TNT, based more or less on various books written by Louis Lamour. If you like the genre, and can accept the limits of the small screen, then I highly recommend it. It ain't John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, but it's good.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I'll look out for it. I do love Sam Elliot.

Mr Trick

Scooby
House (Hausu) (1977) 8/10
A surreal and macabre mind **** of a horror movie. One of the strangest films I've ever seen. Yet oddly beautiful. I loved it.

white avenger
white avenger
If you like Sam Elliott, I would recommend "The Hero," made in 2017. He plays an (obviously) aging movie star known primarily for his Western roles. (Much more than that would be spoilers)

Mr Trick

Scooby
The Watcher (2000) 4/10
Bland thriller. James Spader is an FBI agent, Keanu Reeves a sleazy serial killer obsessed with him. The film would have been a bit better if the casting was reversed. Marisa Tomei is wasted in an underwritten supporting role.

@white avenger I've found "The Hero" on netflix so will probably watch it soon. Thanks!

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Double reverse type cast lol

Mylie

Scooby
A Quiet Place (2018)

9/10

I'm usually not into horror/thriller movies but this is such a well done movie. The concept was fun, the relationship between the characters were interesting and the performances were all really good. I felt engaged through the whole thing. I hope Krasinski will keep directing.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
I want to see this
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I loved it too. There is a sequel planned hopefully Krasinski will direct that too.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Bird Box - 6-10
I liked this movie, it was pretty good. The cuts between past and present were good. My only complaint is that I felt the film was a bit too long. I liked the concept but wished we had a better understanding of the creatures. I think A Quiet Place took a similar concept but was better realized. I enjoyed Sandra Bullock's performance, and I really liked the male lead character.

thetopher
thetopher
Will you do the 'Bird Box' challenge? lol

Mr Trick

Scooby
Deadman's Shoes [2004] 9/10
A gritty, nihilistic and powerful twist on the revenge thriller. The performances are so naturally, the pacing and storytelling excellent. Its a hard watch, but very rewarding.

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Central Intelligence 8/10

Loved it, old but so funny. Abbs loved it too!

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
A Star Is Born (2018)
Damn those were moving performances! Couldn't stop crying for the last 15 mins of the movie. Lady Gaga is really something behind a piano...
Now, it's the first version I watched, are all the others as good as this one?

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I've not seen any of the other versions.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Wait Until Dark (1967) 9/10
Impressively stripped back, atmospheric and tense thriller based on a stage play. It has tightly well though out plot with some good twists. It's nicely played too with Alan Arkin an impressive villain. Audrey Hepburn is good playing against type too. One of my favourite thrillers.

The Old Man & The Gun (2018) 8/10
If this is Robert Redford's final acting role I think its a fitting note to end on. Its a classic Redford part as a charming crook. There's some smart dry humour (and a nice reference to Butch Cassidy;)). Its more a character driven film than your typical crime thriller. A fine supporting cast too including Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover and Tom Waits.

Island of the Hungry Ghosts - 8/10
Devastating, and fascinating documentary. It follows trauma counsellor Poh Lin Lee and her young family on Christmas Island, as she helps people seeking asylum to Australia detained at a high security center who become potential suicide risks. The film really gets across the haunting atmosphere of the Island, and the spiritual believes of those living on it. Plus of course the horrible abuse stories of the asylum seekers and the effect it has on Poh. Really worth tracking down.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Christopher Robin

I saw this on the plane and was probably way too tired to watch it. However that said I did enjoy it, I would probably watch it again just to see if it really was as emotional as it seemed, or if I was just overly sensitive when tired!

Spanky
Spanky
Was just going to ask what movies were on the plane

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Skyscraper (2018) - 7/10

I like Dwayne Johnson and Neve Campbell so I rated this higher than the 5.9 imdb gives it, but I welcome the idea that action / disaster movies are no longer guaranteed to be hits. Maybe some other genres can step up and capture some attention. Dwayne is a security consultant assessing the security of a 225-storey high-rise building for insurance purposes and his wife and children are trapped inside when protection racket terrorists start a fire in order to force the owner to give up his secret codes that will return the money to him that he paid the racketeers.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah it was decent I thought. Preferred Rampage though.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Rampage (2018) - 8/10

This is better than Skyscraper. It delivers action and seeing Chicago being torn up by a genetically modified giant wolf, a giant alligator and a giant ape is karmic. Chicago is the city that shouldn't exist and here is why:

One person who used to go to the same conferences as me said that his university class went on march break to a hotel in Chicago and being the disturbers they were, they set up an agreement where they would all flush the toilets at exactly 8:00 PM one evening. The resulting water pressure blew the sewage downpipe and flooded some storage rooms in the basement. One of the documents recovered from one of these rooms was the vote to incorporate the City of Chicago and several of the people who voted did not live in the city, so they should not have been able to vote. However, the motion to incorporate passed with the help of the ineligible voters. And Chicago has been corrupt ever since.

BTW if someone were to say Skyscraper should be 6/10 and Rampage should be 7/10, I would not object.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Wow! Never expected a Chicago rant in a film review unless of course it was about the film Chicago, ha!

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
Halloween (2018)
Finally watched it! It's definitely a worthy sequel. The jumpscares were effective and not overused, the movie was certainly very tense, loved the "Oh he's the new Loomis" line
spoiler alert: he was the wannabe pseudo-new Michael all along!
I love Judy Greer in everything she does and this is no exception.
Her "gotcha" line at the end was epic

RagnarockerB

The Dearest Queerest
Sineya
Aquaman - 7/10

This is a movie that shouldn't work but it does. In fact, I walked out of the cinema as if I'd watched five different films. The cinematography is... It's gorgeous. There's a scene where Arthur and Mera are diving with a flare and it's actually breathtaking in motion. The battles are bombastic, the lines are cheesy and fun, Jason Mamoa is having all of the fun on set, I even cried a little with the one scene of his father. Also the action scenes, Trident fighting has never looked this good.

It has its issues but I heartily recommend this film. It wasn't Into The Spiderverse, the best film of 2018 objectively but Aquaman is a worthy blockbuster. But minus a point for what Pitbull did to Toto's Africa XD (I am legally required to say that despite the usage thereof in the film itself being thematically appropriate and it was actually a pretty good scene and please would you put down the pitchforks and torches)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is a movie that shouldn't work but it does.
I agree. When I think about the plot, it falls apart and the characters lack proper motivation. And I don't like the ending with Orm. It's not really a superhero movie, Aquaman keeps refusing to be king.
But minus a point for what Pitbull did to Toto's Africa XD
Lol. I can forgive this, because they played one of my favorite Depeche Mode songs. lol.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Brexit
It was better than I thought it would be. It's only the second thing I've seen Cumberbatch in that I have enjoyed. Now I am curious as to how much of it was fact and how much fiction.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Irma Vep (1996) 8/10
One of the most exciting, stylish and smart satires on the movie business you are likely to see. The jokes are really sharp, and the whole pacing feels very naturalistic. Maggie Cheung playing a version of herself is really compelling to watch. Great soundtrack too. Would actually make a good double bill with Lost in Translation.

Echo126

Townie
Rampage - 8/10

I know it's not relatively new but I just saw this for the first time this weekend and it was pretty awesome. I couldn't believe they had mad a movie out of this game that I played when I was little. A game where all you do is cause destruction and fight against other monsters.

The story they gave behind it was pretty interesting. I like that there was an actual history of how they came to be. I also like the humor Dwayne Johnson brought to the movie. The graphics were amazing and the action was ridiculously fun to watch. It felt like the 90s action movies but with enhancements. If you're looking for a fun and simple movie to watch (no brain teasers or complex plots), I recommend Rampage.

Enjoy!

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
I gave it the same score.
Top Bottom