• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #29

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Fresh new thread!

Emma (BBC 1996) - 4/5
All I want for Jane Austen adaptations is for them to be from the BBC and the 90s, not to sound like a puritan but after that it seems like they're always a bit "sexed up", nothing wrong with that really, but it does feel a bit jarring at times. I watched the '96 version with a young Kate Beckinsale as Emma and it was great, if a bit rushed (I initially thought it'd be a series so I was a bit disappointed). Beckinsale is a terrific Emma and they captured Mr. Woodhouse beautifully.
Though I know Mr. Knightly tells Emma in the book that he fell in love with her when she was 13 years old, I do wish they wouldn't have tweaked that into this exchange right before the big romantic kiss in the movie,

Mr. Knightly: "I held you in my arms when you were three weeks old"
Emma: "Do you like me as well now?"
- kiss -

Different times, yes, yes, but the whole "I used to hold you as a baby now I want to do dirty things to you" is a bit ugh. Kind of Twiligthy too with Jacob and Reneesme. ;)

W
WillowFromBuffy
When Kate Beckinsale is your lead, there is no point sexing it up further, is there?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Jupiter Ascending 2/10 - pure entertainment trash. Had no idea what to expect going in, but it was a great laugh!

This was every tumblr kids wet dream. Space alien dark angel werewolf hybrid falls for a poor cleaning lady. My initial thought was - this was definitely written by a man. The female lead was a very pretty doe eyed, heavily made up girl, going through the motions of every Cinderella cliché there is. Who puts on expensive make up to clean toilets? I duno about you guys, but I have never compared outfits while standing in my undies in front of employees. The cleaner was seen to be longing for wealth and beauty, unhappy in her family and life. Luckily for her, she is revealed to be space royalty, can suddenly control bees and is followed by men on their knees cooing "your majesty". It was almost clever to make the inner female life so utterly unoriginal and unrealistic, it prepared me for the rest.

The villains were way over the top evil and the good guys managed to escape despite the odds. The costumes were atrocious. Special mention to the wedding gown. Once again a real focus on youth and beauty being the most highly sought after thing in the universe. Oh so shallow, but oh so entertaining. The space places were highly detailed, to the point I figured the writer may be autistic with how intricately the world was built. The special effects made me feel like I was watching more of a cartoon than a movie featuring human actors. I zoned out in a lot of the action scenes (which is about half of the movie), but I am sure many would appreciate that sort of art.

It was definitely ridiculous but a great choice for late on a Saturday night. I'd recommend it for a group watch, preferably not sober in order to fully embrace the designed hilarity.

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Can't wait to invent a drinking game for this one!

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Jem and the Holograms (2015) - 7.5/10
Hadn't heard much about this, so I went in almost blind and I'm glad. It's rare that I get to experience something new without any expectations whatsoever. The film was way better than at first glance. One move made me roll my eyes, but then the movie fixed it within 5 minutes. And every time I thought something was a cliche, it changed into something else. The next time I watch it, I may up the rating to a full 8, but since I was on my computer while watching, and therefore missed parts, I couldn't really do that :D (the music is also meh)

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Stir of Echoes 9/10 (rewatch)

Good thriller movie, atmospheric with good soundtracks (Paint it Black, Hello by Poe...), good directing. The flashback scene of the girl getting killed near the end of the movie is intense, sad and disturbing. The flashback scene is also so well directing that it makes it unforgettable.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah enjoy this one. Think it gets overlooked because of the Sixth Sense coming out about the same time.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Fighting with My Family - 7.5/10
A very enjoyable feel good, underdog story (but based on truth). Its a fun watch, but its goes to some dark places at times too. The cast are very good. I think you can enjoy it whether your a wrestling fan or not.

Puppet

Black Thorn
Overboard - 8/10
As a kind of pushback against the ridiculous remake, I decided to watch the original; yet again :D I love this movie sooo much!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah didn't bother with the remake myself. But original's enjoyable from what I can remember.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Dementia 13 [1963] 6/10
Forgettable early Francis Ford Coppola horror. The mystery isn't very engaging and the plot and characters quite bland. There's some good kills at least. The Louise character at least was interesting to watch.

Mylie

Scooby
Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse : 10/10

I'm not typically a fan of Spider-Man or any superhero movies (the only one I have ever really loved is Wonder Woman) but this was one of the best experiences in theater I've ever had. This movie is a gem from start to finish. The animation is some of the best I've ever seen. The format and aesthetic are perfect. I kind of wish all movies based on comics were done like that. It's really like you're reading a comic. The characters are engaging and fun. The movie was touching, there was a lot of action and it was filled with funny moments. It's been a while since I've been at a movie where the audience laughed and was this much into it.

I absolutely loved it and I can't wait for the sequel. The high rating might seem excessive but I'm in awe and I had such a wonderful time that for me it's very much deserving of a 10/10.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
This movie was fantastic! It was very deserving of its Oscar win.
thetopher
thetopher
Agreed. This was a fantastic movie with great visuals, humour, story and character. Deserved Oscar.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Serenity (2019) 1/10
And just wait till you hear the twist!o_O

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018) 9/10
One of the best films of the year so far. Its brilliantly written with a great blend of dark humour and drama. The leads are excellent. Its a credit to the script and Melissa McCarthy that such a difficult and spiky character is someone you end up rooting for. Its a subtle performance and she does a great job of disappearing into the part. Its a sad movie at times, but also sharply funny and human. Its nice to see a proper representation of New York culture too.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004) 7/10
I prefer the original film, but this is a pretty worthy sequel.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Captain Marvel - 7.5/10.

This movie feels like "Men in Black meets Dollhouse" - I loved the Men-in-Black-y parts, I was frustrated by the Dollhouse-y parts. Just like Dollhouse's Echo, Captain Marvel is defined by her amnesia in this movie... and characters with amnesia are just never compelling. It's hard to care about someone who literally CAN'T have psychological depth, and who only cares about the things she cares about because she was literally programmed to.

[URL="http://www.infovisual.co/eliza-dushku-gif-tumblr.html[/URL]"]www.infovisual.co/eliza-dushku-gif-tumblr.html[/URL]

Fortunately, everything AROUND this main character is entertaining & engaging (WHO DOESN'T LOVE MEN IN BLACK?), so the film still ends up being a reasonably good time. It's your average MCU film, all things considered.

Spanky
Spanky
There's been a lot of characters with amnesia that are compelling; if it's done right.

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
A Star is Born 5/10
Really didn't like this film too much. I found it about 45 mins too long and very depressing.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
You're not the first one to say it was too long. I can see that. I liked it more than you, but its overrated for sure.

Mr Trick

Scooby
From Beyond (1986) 8/10
Another cult classic body horror with a Sci-Fi twist from the director of Re-Animator, and like that based on a H. P. Lovecraft story. I love how absurd the whole thing is. There's some cool fleshy practical effects, and a creepy atmosphere. Plus brilliant performances from Jeffery Combs and Barbara Crampton. It was nice to see a female as the obsessed mad scientist character.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 8/10

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, so I stayed in and re-watched this. I paid more attention this time around, and I enjoyed it a lot more. Aww! Poor Bucky isn't used to playing second fiddle to his friend. Peggy wanted Steve, not him. 😅 Also, that moment when Cap comes marching up with all the guys he'd rescued...EPIC. It gave me chills. And when Bucky falls from the train....oh the feels! I appreciated Steve Rogers' character a lot more this time around. Chris Evans was excellent. And Hugo Weaving was quite frightening. Enjoyable film.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 10/10

I just loved all of the political intrigue! (First time around I wasn't paying complete attention) Reminded me a bit of Three Days of the Condor. I liked the dynamic between Fury and Cap. Plus Robert Redford as a villain...he shot his maid because she'd seen him meeting with the Winter Soldier. Wow. I also enjoyed Cap quite a bit!!! He can be a total bad ass when he needs to be. So much good stuff in this film. The stunts were incredible. Like when the Winter Soldier leapt onto the roof of that speeding car, punched through it, and grabbed Sidwell....tossing him into the oncoming traffic lane. Brutal! 😅
(We can thank the Cohen brothers for all of the spectacular stunts and overall awesomeness of this film AND Civil War)

With everything that was going on, it's interesting how much of an impression Sebastian made, despite having roughly 20 minutes of screen time. But yeah, he played the hell out of that role. Body language and eyes...hardly any dialogue. Definitely scary. But continuity issues in regards to the hair...which followed through to the next film. Meh, whatever. He's still a babe.

Loved how Black Willow let herself get electrocuted so Pearce was distracted. And Fury shot him twice!! So cool. Great, great film....didn't even feel like a "superhero" story. More of an intense drama with extraordinary characters.

Last edited:
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
half agree - Winter Soldier rocks!

Puppet

Black Thorn
The Lego Movie (2014) - 6/10
Not bad, for what it was. I zoned out of a lot of it, looking at my computer, some jokes fell flat, some landed crookedly, some landed just right, a real mish-mash, if you ask me. The thing that elevated it to a 6, for me, though, was when they took it to the real world. That 'twist' with the father and son and that it was all in the son's imagination, made the whole thing sooo much better. I'm actually slightly excited to watch the sequel now.

white avenger

white avenger
Captain Marvel - 7.5/10.

This movie feels like "Men in Black meets Dollhouse"
That pretty much sums it up, bit I would add a dash of "That Darn Cat," (please tell me I'm not the only one here who is old enough to remember that old Disney classic) and maybe a little bit of the puppy/guardian from "I Am Number 13."

I wouldn't rate it much higher than a 5.5, though. I'm not familiar with the character from the Marvel Comics, but it still seems strange to me to see her here when what I still see as the REAL Captain Marvel, one of my childhood favorites, is getting his own movie in about a month, under the title, "Shazam."

I will say that, if Bree Larson is going to be the new figurehead character for the MCU post "Endgame," I have serious concerns about the franchise. This character is supposed to replace Iron Man and Captain America? Ain't no way, no day.

Puppet
Puppet
I'm only old enough to remember the Ricci remake of That Darn Cat ;)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I will say that, if Bree Larson is going to be the new figurehead character for the MCU post "Endgame," I have serious concerns about the franchise. This character is supposed to replace Iron Man and Captain America? Ain't no way, no day.
Be careful, you need to preface that by saying "I am not sexist but..." because anyone that speaks negative is being labeled a troll and/or sexist.

white avenger

white avenger
Be careful, you need to preface that by saying "I am not sexist but..." because anyone that speaks negative is being labeled a troll and/or sexist.
I come from a generation who referred to female performers as actresses. Now, I'm considered sexist if I use that term. If the lady...er..PERSON in question has any objection to my comments, I will paraphrase the late, great John Wayne from the movie "Rooster Cogburn."

"There ain't a sexist bone in my body. I'll call a female actor bad just as quick as I would a male actor if that's the way I see it." If she wants to play by the same rules, she deserves to be judged by the same standard.

Top Bottom