• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the last movie you've seen #29

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I wouldn't rate it much higher than a 5.5, though. I'm not familiar with the character from the Marvel Comics, but it still seems strange to me to see her here when what I still see as the REAL Captain Marvel, one of my childhood favorites, is getting his own movie in about a month, under the title, "Shazam."
They are entirely two separate characters, from two separate comic universes. Shazam is DC and Carol Danvers is Marvel. Also, Carol Danvers made her first appearance as in the Marvel comic universe in 1968, so this has nothing to do with trying to appease 21 century feminists.

I totally respect you preference for your own comic hero though, my husband loves Spider-Man and I think Batman better 🤷🏻‍♀️. But not everything has to be an issue about “ these darn feminists are ruining everything “ or “ Hollywood is trying to make all characters female now!”.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I will say that, if Bree Larson is going to be the new figurehead character for the MCU post "Endgame," I have serious concerns about the franchise. This character is supposed to replace Iron Man and Captain America? Ain't no way, no day.
Well, back in phase 1, I wasn't a huge fan of Thor & Cap, either - but they both grew on me over time. I assume that Carol will grow on me too. It's like the circle of life with superheroes.

quotereel.com/mufasa-quotes/mufasa-quotes-4/

My main issue with Carol is essentially removed by the end of the film, so... I'm pretty hopeful.

And it's not like she'll have to carry the franchise alone - she'll be leading it alongside Spiderman, and Black Panther, and Doctor Strange, and a bunch of others. So I'm not too worried (though I hope that Doctor Strange will be better in his sequel, too. His first movie also left me cold).

white avenger

white avenger
And it's not like she'll have to carry the franchise alone - she'll be leading it alongside Spiderman, and Black Panther, and Doctor Strange, and a bunch of others.
If we're getting an entire new team, with Captain Marvel established as the leader, I have no real problem Where my problem comes is that that new team is going to be called "The Avengers," when, basically, it's an entirely new group of people. I have the same problem, as I mentioned previously, with Carol Danvers usurping the name "Captain Marvel," when I absolutely know that Billy Batson had that title long before she was even born. To me, that is as bad, and verges on blasphemous, as if some new actor should start making Western movies and calling himself John Wayne. I guess that's just because I'm an old man known for his cantankerous nature and stubborn disposition.

Anyhow, we were getting rumors not that long ago that the new "Avengers" would be primarily an all female team, and with the announcement that there would be TV shows on the new Disney Channel featuring Falcon & Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch & Vision, and possibly Clint Barton in his new persona as Ronin (probably so as not to be confused with another bow & arroy hero TV show) it appears that, with the possible exception of the Black Widow, the Avengers won't really be in any form what it originally was. Why, then, try and cash in on the old name? It's a new, different team, let them have their own team name. Not that it will matter all that much anyhow, since the future of the MCU will probably be filled mostly with X Men and the Fantastic 4.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
I come from a generation who referred to female performers as actresses. Now, I'm considered sexist if I use that term.
Not everyone buys into the current trend of "female empowerment." I wouldn't give it too much thought.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
The female empowerment crew haven't given it much thought either

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't see any problem with calling a female actor an actress. I certainly don't see it as being sexist. I guess its just a term dating back a long time. Its partly out of habit for most people.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Be careful, you need to preface that by saying "I am not sexist but..." because anyone that speaks negative is being labeled a troll and/or sexist.

Well to be fair there is a whole internet culture who are negative just for the sake of it every time there's a female led blockbuster. Quite clearly that comes from a sexist place. Part of it is people giving said film negative ratings on a certain review website before its even been released.

I'm not saying for one moment that @white avenger is part of that culture, but lets not for one moment pretend that its not a problem. As it happens avenger need not worry. Captain Marvel is tearing it up at the box office and getting some positive reviews especially from fans. Larson's great in it IMO.:)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Star Wars Episode II꞉ Attack of the Clones (2002) 2/10
Probably even worse than Phantom Menace. It at least looks better on a design level. But the cheesy romance is just awful and takes up far too much screen time. Christensen is such a terrible actor too. The plot is a mess. The dialogue is so on the nose. The political subtext is really badly handled. And again its way too long!! :rolleyes:

Captain Marvel - 8/10
A very satisfying comic book movie. It has engaging characters, a inventive slow burning plot and well put together set pieces. Larson kicks ass in the lead role. Her and Jackson had wonderful chemistry. The cast are all really strong. The 90's references and music was nicely handled too. The set up was a bit weak, besides that very enjoyable.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Where my problem comes is that that new team is going to be called "The Avengers," when, basically, it's an entirely new group of people.
Well, the Avengers have had a rotating membership since Age of Ultron - by the end of that movie, Cap & Nat were the only original Avengers who were still on the team. As I see it - The Avengers are less like a family, and more like a military unit or a group of co-workers. So, I'm fine with having a new team without any of the original members. It's like how Disney is still Disney, even though Walt Disney and his family haven't been running it for years.

I'm really not sure that they will keep the Avengers name, though. Most of the rumors around this issue seem very questionable to me. I think there's a real possibility that we won't get any more Avengers movies after Endgame. We'll still get crossover movies, definitely, but maybe they'll get a different naming scheme.

white avenger

white avenger
I think there's a real possibility that we won't get any more Avengers movies after Endgame.
That's pretty much what I think, too. There will be X Men and Fantastic Four movies mostly for at least the next few years, with a few standalone titles tossed in. The characters who we know now as the Avengers will be either killed off, written out, or given TV series of their own. They are still talking about a Black Widow movie, but I think that the rest of the original team won't be around very much, except for, at best, the occasional cameo.

Reactions: Guy

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
I don't see any problem with calling a female actor an actress. I certainly don't see it as being sexist. I guess its just a term dating back a long time. Its partly out of habit for most people.
Its not "sexist." And most people actually still use the term. 😛

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I believe that's what I said. Though I don't see any problem with either gender just being referred to as actors.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Actor is a unisex title. Actress is making the sex the forefront. It is sexist. Simple as that.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Good point.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Actor is a unisex title. Actress is making the sex the forefront. It is sexist. Simple as that.
It might be sexist, but it doesn't get used to deny a person a job. If you need an actress, you are always going to cast a female (unless this is Elizabethan England where young boys played female parts). If you need a male actor, you always cast a male. This is one area where gender is important. I don't know any parts that would call for a unisex actor where gender was optional.

It is not like hiring a draftsman and saying that the word implies a man. The PC designation would be "drafter" or "draftsperson".

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
yeah I kinda don't see the difference between "actress" and "female actor". the casting call has to have one or the other

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It might be sexist, but it doesn't get used to deny a person a job.
No, if it were used to deny a job it would be discrimination. It's not discriminatory; just sexist and outdated vernacular.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Bohemian Rhapsody - 9/10

This was brilliant and only marred by the grimness of the behind-the-scenes story. Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie Mercury, possibly the best frontman ever to sing in any band. The music is fantastic. Gwilym Lee is great as Brian May, the astrophysicist (who took 37 years to complete his doctoral thesis because he was too busy being lead guitarist for Queen).

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
So, if they're casting the lead for a film whose main character is a woman, they ask for what? A female actor...?
Yes, of course. Male actor and female actor. They even have transgender actors now. Black actor, white actor, latinx actor, etc. Actor is just a person that acts. Although person is debatable as now they are calling dogs actors but that's for another discussion.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
Yes, of course. Male actor and female actor. They even have transgender actors now. Black actor, white actor, latinx actor, etc. Actor is just a person that acts. Although person is debatable as now they are calling dogs actors but that's for another discussion.
Hmmm. Well, I'll stick to actor and actress. I have absolutely NO interest in changing my vocabulary because of a trend.

Top Bottom