• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've Seen #31

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Apollo 13 - 5/10

I thought this film was going to be really good; acclaimed director, solid cast led by Tom Hanks and based on true events. Instead I was bored by the slow pace (and I'm a girl who loves slower-paced films) and actually fell asleep halfway through the movie. Bit of a let down.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Booksmart (2019) 9/10

Think I enjoyed it even more second time around. One of the freshest, smartest, and entertaining debuts of recent years. The leads are naturals and you really engage in their friendship. Great use of music and editing too.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Greta (2018): 7/10
The high rating is for the first half which has really well earned tension, the second half went off the deep end, far too unbelievable! Pretty frustrating but worth the watch for the first half.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I enjoyed it a lot. Really liked the final shot too.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
The Favourite - 9/10

This was a superb film. Wonderful performances from all three lead actresses, complex characterisation, a wonderfully unique style from everything to the costumes to the way in which it was filmed, and exploring themes of power, class and love. I really enjoyed this movie.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Will have to re-watch it.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'll have a go at rating all the films I catch at the cinema this year.

Jumanji: Next Level - 5.5/10

It's similar to the last one. Still a good cast having fun but it's a bit thin and I can't remember much even only a week or so after.

Little Women - 7.5/10

Not usually my type of film but I was pleasantly surprised. All new to me as I haven't read the book or seen other films. I thought there was some good humour, decent pacing and liked the characters. Usually period films like this bore me senseless.

Bad Boys For Life - 9.5/10

I loved this. Funny, action packed and takes me back to seeing the 2nd film years ago. The chemistry and warmth between Mike and Marcus is brilliant. Sure the story is a bit of a stretch but quite happy to go along for the ride. The addition of a new younger team actually added to the film when it could easily have been an irritation. A few really emotional moments as well. Early contender for film of the year.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Us (2019) 9/10

Just as good second time around. Another distinct classic from Jordan Peele. Another sad Oscar snub.
Which do you think is best, Us or Get Out? I still haven't seen the second one, yet.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Which do you think is best, Us or Get Out? I still haven't seen the second one, yet.
Its close. I'd probably say Get Out. But then again I've seen that more times and think its a modern classic. Their both different of course. Us is unique in its own way. One of the best horror movies of recent years.

Puppet
Puppet
Yeah, I really loved Us, too!

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Get Out is great, Us was a massive disappointment afterwards. If you like Get Out I'd give it a wide berth.

Puppet
Puppet
Us is the one I've seen and I loved it.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Get Out is great, Us was a massive disappointment afterwards. If you like Get Out I'd give it a wide berth.
I remember us disagreeing on this at the time. I think most people who liked Get Out would like Us. Its more of a straight up horror movie (and a very good one at that). But it still has that distinct surreal style and atmosphere. It also makes you think about its themes like Get Out did.

The Bronze
The Bronze
Yeah I'm probably the minority. Seeing the twist a mile off probably didn't help me enjoy it.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Us - 6/10

Funny that we're all talking about this movie, I watched it for the first time yesterday, and was a bit underwhelmed. The film started strong but then started to lag. I found some parts creepy but for the most part didn't think the film was too unsettling. The performances were really good though! Lupita Nyong'o was particularly good. Also, I figured out the twist right at the beginning, but I have to say, I don't feel that the twist actually added anything to the film. So yeah, don't quite get the hype surrounding this one.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Fair enough.

Ghost Boy

Scooby
Cafe Society. 7.5/10.

Enjoyed this though I wish that Blake Lively had been given some additional scenes to develop her character a bit more.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) 9/10

This French underrated gem is probably my favourite film of the year. The way it illustrates female relationships, art, desire, loss, memory, and the need to look back for one last time is poignant and beautifully bittersweet.

Top Bottom