• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've Seen # 33

Mr Trick

Scooby
Curse of Chucky - 7/10

Really liked this installment, it felt very Southern Gothic at times and made Chucky less comedic and more threatening. I liked this more than any film in the franchise, including the original.
I think its a good throw back to the feel of the early movies, and classic horror in general. What I like about Curse and Cult of Chucky is how they feel more serialised and refer back to the history of the franchise. That's why the move to a TV series makes sense.

white avenger

white avenger
"Dragon Soldiers" 2/10

A group of heavily armed mercenaries are sent into a remote mountain area to search for missing hikers and campers, and encounter a hungry dragon. What ensues is so terrible that it is absolutely laughable.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Underworld: Evolution - 4.5/10
So, I think I'm committed to watching all of the movies. This one is maybe better than the first, but not by much. I think the style of the first movie was better, but this had a more comprehensive (sort of) plot. I gotta say, I'm not trying to trash on these movies, I know they have their fans, and there's a good story somewhere in these movies, but it's not well put together. Despite having some great actors, it was nice seeing Tony Curan in this movie, and I did like the look of his vampiric form. Problem with these movies, is they are all style and little to no substance. This movie does build more of the vampire/lycan mythology, which I really like, however I've noticed they don't really explain the powers and abilities of vampires vs lycans, which bothers me. And I really don't like the look of Michael's hybrid form. So, I think I'll continue with the series, because there are interesting pieces and I do want to learn more about the mythology. But so far I can't recommend these movies.

Crawl (2019) - 8/10
This was a pretty good movie, started a bit slow, but crocodiles and alligators freak me the heck out so it got me with the scares. I really liked Kaya Scodelario in it. I gotta say, when I first saw her in those not so good Maze Runner movies, I thought she was terrible. But everything I've seen her in since then, she's really impressed me. There's not much to this movie, it's a decent thriller, involves a lot of underwater swimming. I love Lake Placid, so this was right up my alley.

Wind River - 9/10
This is a great, tragic movie. It's about a the mystery of a dead girl on a native american reserve and how outsiders and native Americans get along with each other. It was great to see Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner outside of the Marvel movies. They are very good in this, I love Elizabeth Olsen, she's great, and Renner can bring the drama. It's a fantastic mystery thriller, with a different resolution at the end. But wow, very powerful story. Highly recommend.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
haven't gotten rond to Wind River...

POTN

Townie
My Fair Lady 8/10

I didn't think I'd seen it but as we watching it, things felt familiar. Either my older sisters made me watch it when we were kids or I...may have seen a college performance of it at some point? Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I've been making a point to watch more classic stuff lately and I LOVE having that 'aha' experience when you watch something and completely get why it's renowned or why audiences at the time loved it (without having to jump through all the mental hoops having to do with context of the time to get there.) Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison are just brokenly charismatic and watchable.

There ARE some self-evident issues with the material that feel like they've 'aged poorly.' The very plot itself and Rex Harrison's song, "Why can't a woman be more like a man?" feeling so...cute and inviting. The ending. But I did some reading after I finished the movie and it's based on a 1914 play by George Bernard Shaw that he INTENDED as progressive commentary but it was altered by the producers to be more 'happy,' and kind of broke the message and empowerment of Eliza. The 1914 version of studio interference.

Still, a lot of fun. I'm watching Le Samourai with a friend tomorrow as a part of our 'important movies' binge/project.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I didn't expect much from this movie Cold Moon I saw on Amazon Prime, but I thought it was good. The pacing was quick and atmosphere thick; beautiful cinematography, interesting plot and twist on horror tropes... and *spoiler*... one of the ghosts looks like Beetlejuice for a minute which I thought was so cool.. and it's so quick you'll miss it if you blink.

Gibby11

Townie
Either zombies or teen beach movie 5 or 6 out of 10 zombies was not the best but had nice messages and teen beach movie was not that original but clever and better and had some actually pretty funny joke s

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
"Call of the Wild": 7/10 from me, 10/10 from the two kids who saw it. The story is gold, I read the novel several times as a child. Filmwise, I found the animals a little too human and several of the scenes depicting amazing nature seemed computer animated.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Watched Bye Bye Love yesterday. Mostly kind of a feel good comedy. Most notable for having a young Amber Benson and Eliza Dushku in it. Also Lindsay Crouse (Professor Walsh) also stars as one of the ex-wives and mothers. Believe she was Amber's character's mom. It also stars Mathew Modine, Paul Reiser, Randy Quaid, Janeane Garofalo, Amy Brenneman, and Rob Reiner. Also has early appearances by Jack Black, Danny Masterson & very young Mae Whitman. Shoot even Stephen Root (Newsradio) has a bit part.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Quite the cast! If Garofalo's in it I'm there!
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I love Bye Bye Love! Used to watch it a lot when I was younger. Great cast!

Mr Trick

Scooby
See No Evil 2 (2014) 6.5/10

Solid enough slasher sequel which riffs off Halloween 2. Its mostly good trashy fun with some decent twists and kills. Danielle Harris and Katherine Isabelle keep things watchable.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
One Cut of the Dead 10/10

Can't say too much, because you do not want to be spoiled on it, but it effectively and brilliantly turns the zombie apocalypse genre on its head. And it's hilarious too!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Looking forward to seeing this.
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
This was a fun movie, I loved the 3rd act!

Mr Trick

Scooby
Phantom of the Opera (1943) 6/10

Not the best of the Universal Monster movies but it has its moments.

Puppet
Puppet
It's gotta at least be better than the Gerard Butler version, though, right? :D

Priceless

Scooby
Jackie (2016) - Loved the artistry of this film, the camera work and score were beautiful and Portman's performance was fantastic. But it didn't grab me emotionally and I felt distanced from the woman herself, but maybe that's what Larrain was going for. 8/10

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Not seen it, but from what I've heard of it I think that was the point.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Host (2020) 6/10

Supernatural horror which is the first movie to be shot on Zoom. Its a Shudder original. The gimmick of it is a bit distracting at times, but its a solid watch with some eerie moments. Its only 56 minutes too.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Double World 2019 (5/10) All 5 points come from the martial arts/fighting ,, which were okay . Untidy CGI and convoluted drama hamper the story . Part of the joy of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema is the actual stunts and wire work . Less pixels and more real world action needed here I think .

Top Bottom