• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've Seen # 33

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
@Nix,
it has been long enough since the last time I mentioned it, have you seen the film Tomorrowland yet?
Starring George Clooney and Hugh Laurie. What did you think of the Eiffel Tower becoming a space rocket?
Did you like Hugh Laurie's characters name of Govenor Nix ?

Ghost Boy

Potential
The Black Dahlia (2006).

4/10.

Production design, sets, costumes, cinematography... GOOD.

Screenplay, editing, acting... BAD.

Quite a few unintentionally hilarious moments due to bad overacting, ridiculous dialog and ham-fisted plot twists.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I own this movie, I've only seen it once. lol

Priceless

Scooby
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) - funny with some good performances, very Coen Bros., but not particularly gripping 7/10

thrasherpix

Scooby
Tank. 10/10, at least on the emotional high. Maybe after the high wears off it will go down to a 9/10. (The sheriff and deputies were so black hearted to utterly deprive them of sympathy and make it enjoyable to see them swatted aside with a tank, though at the same time their extreme corruption and vile behavior, while not impossible in the real world, was so over the top. And yet that's what made the stakes so high, and thus gripping, and so much fun to see them swatted aside with a tank. And the movie actually respected the law, and as one says, they're not running FROM the law, but TO the law.)

I really did not think I'd enjoy this movie. I figured it was "cops vs tank" in a macho peeing contest, but I found it a compelling story. Some of the jibes actually felt realistic rather than 80s cheese as I'd have expected. Men and women can be tough yet sweet and sentimental (the kind that it's a very bad mistake to mistake kindness for weakness). And bikers and soldiers working together for the win! (Bonus for whites and blacks working together so well, too, and not having to be killed off by the writers for it!)

And brilliant to include matters of law and politics, the good, the bad, and the ugly (and his wife proved just as strong and resolved in her own way as well, and props to the prostitute for suppressive fire on corrupt deputies with the 50 cal on the tank to save the so-called "hippie"). I just figured it would be another macho shoot 'em up movie as so many of the time were (not to say that means they're not good, I consider Die Hard brilliantly done, and the first 2 Terminator movies are among my favorites that I've seen repeatedly), but this was brilliant in more ways than one.

I won't say more to avoid any unfortunate political angles it could all too easily bring up today.

I just rented it, but I may end up buying it later. I wish I'd been able to have seen this in a rural Texas cinema (just to see how the local react, I know at least a few would've loved it, though, and I'm gonna recommend this to my cousin in case he hasn't already seen it) when it came out but I was way too young then.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988) 2/10

Had to check it out for the title alone! Besides that a nice main theme and an entertaining character called Spider (yes a human called Spider :D) its very lame.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The Colossus of New York (1958) 6.5/10

Decent Sci-Fi b-movie with more than a touch of Frankenstein to it.

white avenger

white avenger
The Breed 4/10 (Free on Amazon Prime, and worth every cent)

Five college kids come to a remote island for a weekend of fun. Unfortunately, a pack of genetically manipulated military attack dogs have gone feral on the island, and game is scarce. The kids are trapped in a cabin, the dogs start whittling them down, one by one... Do I have to go any further?

Obviously low budget movie with basically unknown but reasonably talented cast. Not too bloody, Typical jump-out-at-you scenes with several German Shepard dogs, who are the real stars of the movie.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Might have to check this one out. Sounds fun!

Mr Trick

Scooby
12 Angry Men (1957) 10/10

House on Haunted Hill (1959) 9/10

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) 7.5/10

I watched it the night after certain President got into power and it made me feel better about the world. I watched it last night as part of my 40th birthday stream and it once again delivered in spades! Will always love this film :D

Near Dark (1987) 9/10

Flash Gordon (1980) 8/10

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Romy and Michelle is a great, fun comedy. The original House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price is a classic.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Danger Close (2019)7/10 Solid war film . Shows like 'Band of Brothers' ignited a bit of interest in more reality based war films . Films like ''We were soldiers once and Young' ''The Seige oF Jadotville' and 'Danger Close' have come out of this trend. They are closer to the historical truth than the usual Hollywood 'based on a true story' fare .

Danger Close recreates a short brutal battle in Long Tan between Anzac forces and NVA/VC soldiers in 1963 . Pretty decent film . There's a documentary knocking about by the same people which is also worth a watch .

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Extraction - 6/10

The plot is thin and it's very similar to a lot of other films. The action is very good though and it's got a gritty quality to it.

Murder Mystery - 0/10

We made it through 20 minutes. Sandlers character is awful. Every joke misses. David Walliams shows up. I dread to think how much was wasted in wages to make this.

V for Vendetta - 9/10

I just finished the graphic novel for the first time and then watched the film a couple of days later. Haven't seen it for years now. It's a classic and having the extra background from the comics adds to it.

Seeing it in 2020 is ominous when you look around at the world. Prothero is absolutely spot on as the representation of our media. People content to accept government scapegoats rather than look at what they're doing.

white avenger

white avenger
"The Old Guard" (Netflix) 9/10

Charlize Theron is the leader of a small band of virtually immortal fighters who "change the course of world history by protecting humanity." Plenty of action without excessive blood and guts. These immortals are not like the ones in the Highlander series. They don't go around lopping off heads, and eventually an individual's immortality will wear off, leaning them normal human once more.

I really enjoyed this movie. The only thing that keeps this from being a perfect 10 is that it ends in a (long string of expletives deleted) cliffhanger. (Hopefully, that means that s sequel is planned soon)

Top Bottom