• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've Seen # 33

Mr Trick

Scooby
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) 1/10

@RachM There's a scene when Freddy appears on a broom stick like the Wicked Witch of the West and another when he's playing A FLIPPY VIDEO GAME!! controlling one of his victims. You tell me?... :p

Last edited:
RachM
RachM
That good, huh? 😂

Priceless

Scooby
John Carpenter's Vampires (1998) More hokey and less graphic then I was expecting. Carpenter did the score and there is music throughout, making it sound like a western 6/10

Spanky
Spanky
The book is worlds better. The movie is garbage compared to the book.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Mulan (2020) - 6/10
So, I was underwhelmed with this one. As someone who pretty much loves the Disney live action versions their classic animated movies, I was super excited for this because I love the 1998 animated version. Had a few people over, made a night of it to watch this and we were all a bit underwhelmed. We liked it, but we didn't love it, like I do Aladdin (2019) or Beauty and the Beast (2017). This Mulan is very stripped away from the animated movie, other than the basic premise. No, songs, no mushu or cricky, no funny old grandma, basically none of the fun that was in the animated movie. As a result, the movie is fairly boring at times. There are instrumental versions and references to the songs, and a few of similar scenes that play out in a different way.

The actress does a good job in the role of Mulan and all of the actors are pretty good in the movie, I really liked the Witch character. But I didn't like the end fight against the villain to save the emperor, very different from the animated movie, and in my opinion it felt too small in scope and scale. I understand why they chose not to make it a full out musical, but I still think they should have kept the song "Reflection" because it's highlights the theme of the movie, "when will my reflection show who I am inside?" I think that's something most people can identify with at some point in their life. So, I think it should have been in the movie, to support the message it's trying to say about Mulan.

Anyways, it's a good movie, it looks gorgeous, and should have been seen in theatres on a big screen. However, keep in mind it's very different from the animated movie. It's more like the Kenneth Bragnah/Lily James Cinderella movie which was also not a musical, however, that was still stuck mostly to the Disney story, whereas this Mulan is only Mulan in basic plots beats. So, all of that is to say, probably don't pay the $30, just wait until it's on Disney plus in December for free.

Mulan (2020)- 8/10
I really liked this adaptation of Mulan it felt worthwhile and I think it improved upon the original in terms of story. The only things I missed at all were the songs but if they were there they wouldn't fit in.
I don't regret spending £19.99 on it because I will rewatch.
Yea, I understand taking out the songs, they're a bit sexist by today's standards ("what do we want, a girl worth fight for"), but I still think they should have kept "Reflection", especially since the actress playing Mulan is a Chinese singer and does a Mandarin version of the song on the soundtrack. And I just think it fits with the message the movie wants to tell, plus adding in something a bit more entertaining.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
@Fuffy Baith
Yeah I love Reflection and all of Mulan's songs I just think in this version it wouldn't have fit for this Mulan or any of the characters to sing. Apparently they were aiming to please the Chinese audiences with this one hence the Chi stuff and no songs.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Mulan (2020) - 6/10
So, I was underwhelmed with this one. As someone who pretty much loves the Disney live action versions their classic animated movies, I was super excited for this because I love the 1998 animated version. Had a few people over, made a night of it to watch this and we were all a bit underwhelmed. We liked it, but we didn't love it, like I do Aladdin (2019) or Beauty and the Beast (2017). This Mulan is very stripped away from the animated movie, other than the basic premise. No, songs, no mushu or cricky, no funny old grandma, basically none of the fun that was in the animated movie. As a result, the movie is fairly boring at times. There are instrumental versions and references to the songs, and a few of similar scenes that play out in a different way.

The actress does a good job in the role of Mulan and all of the actors are pretty good in the movie, I really liked the Witch character. But I didn't like the end fight against the villain to save the emperor, very different from the animated movie, and in my opinion it felt too small in scope and scale. I understand why they chose not to make it a full out musical, but I still think they should have kept the song "Reflection" because it's highlights the theme of the movie, "when will my reflection show who I am inside?" I think that's something most people can identify with at some point in their life. So, I think it should have been in the movie, to support the message it's trying to say about Mulan.

Anyways, it's a good movie, it looks gorgeous, and should have been seen in theatres on a big screen. However, keep in mind it's very different from the animated movie. It's more like the Kenneth Bragnah/Lily James Cinderella movie which was also not a musical, however, that was still stuck mostly to the Disney story, whereas this Mulan is only Mulan in basic plots beats. So, all of that is to say, probably don't pay the $30, just wait until it's on Disney plus in December for free.

Yea, I understand taking out the songs, they're a bit sexist by today's standards ("what do we want, a girl worth fight for"), but I still think they should have kept "Reflection", especially since the actress playing Mulan is a Chinese singer and does a Mandarin version of the song on the soundtrack. And I just think it fits with the message the movie wants to tell, plus adding in something a bit more entertaining.
Might go a 6.5? Thought it was decent. Maybe since I never seen (nor care to) the cartoon. I had zero expectations going in. Also I paid nada for it. ;)

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
@Fuffy Baith
Apparently they were aiming to please the Chinese audiences with this one hence the Chi stuff and no songs.
I think Reflection could have worked in the movie since it deals with Mulan's internal struggle and the theme of the movie, to be true to yourself inside and out. It would have also added an extra element to engage the audiences, since I found some of the scenes to be a bit too static and honestly boring at times. Yeah it was made for China to love, however that's not working out right now with all the protests, and unfortunately I think that decision didn't add anything to really thrill American audiences. And what you're left with is a movie most people are finding to be middling, not bad, but not great like it should have been. Just my opinion.

I am, however, in love with the new Christina Aguilera song, "Loyal, Brave and True".

white avenger

white avenger
Lightning Jack 7/10

Comedy Western starring Paul Hogan, of "Crocodile Dundee" fame as a near sighted Australian bank robber in the old west. Not his best, but entertaining. Stockard Channing as his mute sidekick and Beverly D'Angelo as his girlfriend.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Never seen it but that's a good pair of female leads.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
This is not Stockard Channing

I have scarce memories of that movie, but didn't it also have like a boxing kangaroo or something? I think I remember Cuba having to fight it.
Yep, it's Cuba. Google said so:

"After being taken hostage in a botched bank robbery, the mute Ben Doyle (Cuba Gooding Jr.) has inadvertently become Sancho Panza to the quixotic Lightning Jack Kane (Paul Hogan), who fancies himself a legendary Wild West outlaw. While Jack teaches Ben how to shoot, ride a horse and perform a successful heist, he's also being pursued by a posse of vigilantes. Finally seeing the writing on the wall, Lightning Jack wants to make one last score and retire, but a rival gang isn't making it easy."

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think Reflection could have worked in the movie since it deals with Mulan's internal struggle and the theme of the movie, to be true to yourself inside and out. It would have also added an extra element to engage the audiences, since I found some of the scenes to be a bit too static and honestly boring at times. Yeah it was made for China to love, however that's not working out right now with all the protests, and unfortunately I think that decision didn't add anything to really thrill American audiences. And what you're left with is a movie most people are finding to be middling, not bad, but not great like it should have been. Just my opinion.

I am, however, in love with the new Christina Aguilera song, "Loyal, Brave and True".
I love 'Loyal, Brave and True' as well. It does seem like the bargain with China isn't going to pay off but I personally didn't have a problem staying engaged because I thought the stuff they added- like how Mulan has Chi and can't be at full strength unless she's her true self made up for it and that's more of a Chinese thing which I don't really understand because I'm not Chinese but it intrigued me.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I love 'Loyal, Brave and True' as well. It does seem like the bargain with China isn't going to pay off but I personally didn't have a problem staying engaged because I thought the stuff they added- like how Mulan has Chi and can't be at full strength unless she's her true self made up for it and that's more of a Chinese thing which I don't really understand because I'm not Chinese but it intrigued me.
To me, the Chi thing was fine, because I liked the dual represenation/reflection with the Witch (who was my favorite character). But in the animated movie it wasn't Chi "super" powers that made her a good warrior among men, it was the way she used her intelligence that made her special. And they kind of kept the avalanche scene, but other than that it was really "oh Mulan has this amazing Chi, she is so special". One of the YouTubers I watch called her Disney's Wonder Woman. And to me that's not what I want from my Disney Princesses. So, I guess, I was just hoping for something that Disney never wanted it to be, and to me that's kind of a mistake. This doesn't really feel like a "Disney" movie.

However, I will watch it again, now that my expectations are tempered, to see how I feel about it again.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
To me, the Chi thing was fine, because I liked the dual represenation/reflection with the Witch (who was my favorite character). But in the animated movie it wasn't Chi "super" powers that made her a good warrior among men, it was the way she used her intelligence that made her special. And they kind of kept the avalanche scene, but other than that it was really "oh Mulan has this amazing Chi, she is so special". One of the YouTubers I watch called her Disney's Wonder Woman. And to me that's not what I want from my Disney Princesses. So, I guess, I was just hoping for something that Disney never wanted it to be, and to me that's kind of a mistake. This doesn't really feel like a "Disney" movie.

However, I will watch it again, now that my expectations are tempered, to see how I feel about it again.
Mulan was special because she had Chi but she wasn't shown to be the only one with Chi because besides the Witch a lot of the soldiers and the Emperor seemed to have Chi too. So I don't really understand why people are saying they made Mulan like a superpowered chosen one or Mary Sue because yeah she wasn't the only one with that power and beside that Mulan still struggled and had obstacles in this movie. But I see how because it's different from the original it meant a lot of people wouldn't take well to it.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
well they do show that she is MORE powerful with the Chi naturally than others, like the witch, which maybe is a female empowerment thing. idk, but it didn't work for me.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Tenet (2020) 4/10

I thought it was boring and I was unengaged with the characters and plot. The main gimmick was just too silly also. Good cast and some well crafted action scenes, but it left me cold.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Mulan is the first live action Disney movie remake I wanted to see (hope the trailers weren't too deceptive), and it will be the first I will see (not counting Kim Possible as that was a series, not a movie), but I'm not going to pay extra (not unless it's at the cinema where I'd prefer to see it, because I bet the visuals are amazing). The witch character intrigued the most. Since I haven't seen it yet I can't attempt to rate it...I remember being a bit "meh" with the animated movie, which was an enjoyable watch but not one I felt inclined to ever watch again. I'm hoping the live action movie will be better (and given my lukewarm reception to the animated movie without nostalgia goggles, it just might be for me).

I was really surprised recently when someone produced a copy of Lonesome Dove. I haven't seen that since I was 14 and actually forgot it existed. I think I appreciated it more now than as a kid, but as a kid I was so shocked and intrigued by much of it, including some brutal killings I did NOT see coming and hit me with the impact of actually finding the bodies in real life (I was pretty upset back then, though I didn't stop watching). That's a movie I hope isn't remade anytime soon. (ETA: technically, this is a series, but it was recorded like movie series, each "episode" like an hour and a half, and there were 4 "episodes." So it feels more like a movie, at least movie series, to me.)

I'm not normally into westerns, but that enthralled me enough (and had some actors before they were well known, at least I was surprised to learn they were in them, and fine acting)...I'll give it a 9 out of 10, and probably a full 10 if I were into westerns (very morally grey, nice of how people with such radically different personalities could show how they bonded by shared life experiences, and despite the grey morality, they weren't afraid to show straight up evil). I know plenty would say it dragged, but I like when a movie "breathes" rather than making me numb with nonstop adrenaline. Plus, it was an entirely character driven story (yet avoided soap opera territory as far as I'm concerned) rather than characters just reacting to a plot they find themselves in, and that seems rare to me.

Strangely, it put me in the mood to see John Carpenter's Vampires, which I saw last night. I love evil vampires who aren't seductive brooders. But I'm gonna dock it a point for a few campy moments that I felt weren't handled well and momentarily pulled me out of the story. Also 9 out of 10. (Obviously, this does not mean anyone who liked Lonesome Dove would like this movie.)

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
If you're into reading, you really should read the novel Vampires was based on by Steakly. I liked the book a lot more than the movie.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Regarding the live action Mulan, I haven't watched it (nor I ever will, probably), but I just want to say that the editing looks atrocious. I saw snippets of the film in a video that criticized the movie, and holy crap, it's one of those "let's cut together several shots of fighting in rapid succession to make it look really intense" school of action cinematography. I really dislike that kind of filming for action scenes. Not only is it nauseating to watch, its intended "effect" of action intensity is as shallow as jump scares trying to frighten you. Effective intensity in action scenes rely on the danger of the situation of the characters to build up that intensity, not relying on cheap camera effects.

That's all I wanted to say.

Last edited:

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Bill & Ted: Face The Music - 7/10

A most excellent movie, dudes :cool: In all seriousness, this was a really fun film with some entertaining performances and real heart. Enjoyed it a lot!

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
Deception (2008) 3/5 - Hugh Jackman, Ewan McGregor and Michelle Williams in a movie I'd never heard about before but really enjoyed. Just the kind of movie I like. Good, but not great. Forgettable but pleasant. Nice twists. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll never grow to like Williams, from Dawson's Creek to the present I just don't get her. The ending kind of drove me mad though.
Never leave the money! The moneeeey!

Quick (2019) 3/5 - Swedish movie of the Thomas Quick case. Gosh darn is that kind of crazy. Hopefully DNA samples will be able to solve some of those 30 cases whose investigations were ruined because of this one. Because this was a Swedish movie and we must all remember that life is bleak and horrible even to nice people, it was told from the point of view of the investigative journalist who revealed the scandal but who tragically died in cancer before seeing it come to conclusion, and makes sure to include his funeral.

Priceless
Priceless
Recently saw a documentary on Quick. Really interesting, but deeply depressing
Top Bottom