• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've Seen #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Last Night in Soho - 8/10

Really enjoyed this and recommend a trip to the cinema to see it. Nice mix of genres: horror, thriller, mystery & coming of age. Lovely visuals and use of music. Both the lead actresses have fantastic screen presence and there's a good support cast.

I have a few issues towards the end but nothing major.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Good to hear, I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Should be seeing this this week.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Last Night in Soho: 7/10

I gave it a 7 because I found the performance of the actress playing the main character (Eloise) and a few others to be really impressive. I loved seeing Matt Smith. I loved the music and the casual comedy in the script. However I think the film does fall apart around the end.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I've heard the ending is a bit of a let down. Still excited to see this.
whatdBuffyDo
whatdBuffyDo
I’m excited to see anything with Anya Taylor-Joy in it, when I’ll see this one is unknown tho

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Catch Me if You Can - 8.5/10
My husband recommended we watch this, and I have been meaning to for a while. I sort of knew the plot but not really. I was surprised that Leo's character was like 16/17 for most of the movie. I was like, “people believe this kid is a pilot/doctor?” lol. I also know nothing about how checks and the banking system work apparently, cause I was like “you can cash a payroll check at the hotel in the 60's?” and “How have the banks not figured this out?” My husband tried to explain how checks work, I still don't know. Lol. But Leo is great in this movie, Tom Hanks is great here. Loved seeing Ellen Pompeo before Grey's Anatomy and a young Amy Adams. I really like the ending, and the fact that this is based on a true story. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this film.

Dune (2021) - 6/10
Went to theatres to see this on the big screen. I've not read the book or seen the Lynch film, so I didn't really know the story and characters. First off, this movie looks and sounds amazing. I love exploring the world of Arrakis. I think the actors all did a great job. I've not seen much of Timothee Chalomet, but he's good here, very subtle. Jason Mamoa is well, Jason Mamoa, but he adds much needed fun to this movie. A lot of the good characters die, kinda sad and not much of Zendaya in this. Pretty much what you see of her in the trailer is in the movie, except the ending. This movie is also very long, and feels long, because there's several places where it could have ended earlier but keeps going, and the actual ending is anticlimactic.

As someone who isn't familiar with the source material, I felt the movie just breezes through several parts of the mythology and world building. I was very confused about what Spice was and why they needed it. The Bene Gesserit and the whole messiah thing was confusing. I think it will take a few more viewings to fully understand it.

A Quiet Place Part 2 - 5/10
I really liked the first movie, and this was supposed to come out like last year, but was released earlier this year. I finally got around to watching it on Halloween. It's not as good as the first movie. The opening scene is great, but there's a lot of plots dropped, and then it just ends. If you care about the family, then you might like this movie, but it doesn't carry it for me. Too much stupid stuff happens, too much not explained. Djimon Hounsou's character has no name, and like two scenes, he's wasted here. Cillian Murphy is fine, but also kind of a wasted role. For me these movies are just too quiet and drag out the suspense for too long. So, if you like movies with a lot of drawn out suspense then you might like this movie more than I did.

Ghost Boy

Scooby
Greenland (2020).

Disaster film about comet fragments bombarding the earth. Nothing original, a lot of the scenes felt recycled from other similar movies and TV series. But not too bad overall. And Morena Baccarin gets a fairly substantial role.

5/10.

110cfdbe0edd90d6f668daf8ac7774c6808b99f9f102e18e3617fa8ca2ab1ba2._V_SX1080_.jpg

Last edited:
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I enjoy cheesy disaster movies, but I haven't seen this one yet

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Marvels' Eternals - 6.5/10
So, this is the first MCU film that has a rotten tomato and is currently at 48%, however the audience score is 80%. I'm not sure I'd agree that this movie deserves an 48% critic rating, but this is a very different Marvel film. I think a lot of people are going to have problems with the creation of the Marvel Universe and how Thanos fits in. It's a bit existential, and also implies that the Eternals influenced Earth's history. Ironically the movie was banned in middle eastern countries, despite a lot of it taking place in the middle east.

While the main plot is a bit hard to swallow, (you have to accept a lot of things they're telling you and just go with it) there is also a lot of good in here. I love the opening battle scene, getting to see everyone's powers. I love the Makkari character, played by a deaf actress. She's a speedster and since I watch The Flash tv show, I loved how they portrayed her speed powers, different from how it's been portrayed by The Flash or Quicksilver. And she proves to be a very powerful character. I also like Kumail Nanjiani's character Kingo, and his valet. They provide some much needed comedy. I also like how they used Angelina Jolie as Thena, her presence never outshines anyone else. Without giving away spoilers there's also a few characters, let's just say don't expect to see too much of them. I also did like Richard Madden as Ikaris, he's basically Superman. lol. I will say that one of the weaker characters is the lead, Sersi played by Gemma Chan. First off I'm not a Gemma Chan fan, she's not impressed me in anything yet, and here is no exception. Her character has two love interests, and I don't believe that her character is in love or ever was in love with either of them. And the love story is a big part of the ending, and I believe it from Richard Madden, but I get nothing from Gemma Chan. A couple of the other Eternal characters are just meh, but for the most part I really enjoyed the Eternals.

There are two end credits scenes, nothing that gets me super excited, but will play out in future movies. So, overall I did really enjoy this movie, and will probably see it again in theaters. But it is something that you have to just go with what they are telling you, or non of it makes sense.

Ghost Boy

Scooby
Along Came Polly (2004).

The toilet humor and slapstick doesn't mix well with the more traditional rom-com aspects of the movie. Ben Stiller has played this kind of character in so many films, he's just going through the motions which results in a really tiresome and seen-it-all-before feeling to most of his scenes. Awful phoned-in performance by the overrated Philip Seymour Hoffman. Jennifer Aniston is okay but doesn't seem fully committed to her role.

3/10.

MV5BMzE1MjE5MjE3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMwMTMyMDI@._V1_.jpg

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Awful phoned-in performance by the overrated Philip Seymour Hoffman.
I have seen this movie a couple times on TV. Not one of Stiller's best movies, it's a paint by numbers kind of rom com, with not great comedy. This was the first time I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman, so unfortunately I'll always see him in this role and his fake movie, Crocodile Tears.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Dangerous when bored
Black Thorn
Dune (2021) 6/10

There were so many beautiful scenes in this film, but like Avengers: Endgame, this version of Dune was far too long. And it didn't even tell the whole story. While I was enchanted with Timothee Chalamet as Paul, I definitely feel that Kyle MacLachlan did a much better job in the original film. Jason Momoa was dreadfully miscast as Duncan Idaho...he looked great, but this dude cannot act.

I'm just one of those people who've read all six of the original Dune books, and was seriously underwhelmed by the new film. I had a feeling this would happen, but I gave it a chance anyway. My verdict? David Lynch's Dune may have been occasionally cheesy, but overall it's MUCH better than this new one.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Fighter Squadron - 7/10

Due to Remembrance Day, one local station was airing early wartime and postwar (WWII) movies and Fighter Squadron was on. This movie came out in 1948 and they had a rather remarkable choice of aircraft - the P-47 Thunderbolt, an aircraft that was rugged enough for both fighter and ground attack use. (There is one story, not in this movie, that a P-47 descending into an airport in Denver had to traverse a narrow path and drop down onto the runway in a short distance. One pilot came in low and knocked the corner off an apartment building with his landing gear at 170 knots, exposing a woman who was on the toilet, and continued to make a normal landing. That kind of rugged.) As usual in this type of movie, there was a conflict between the brass and the officer running the squadron about releasing drop tanks and chasing enemy fighters even when it took them away from the bombers.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Eternals - 3.5/10

Not the worst Marvel but not far off. Full of exposition dumps and low quality characters. The score is bad, feels like a musical is about to break out at times. They're trying to be deep but fail to pull it off.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Eternals - 4/10

The think for me the problem was that the characters were just too bland and I was never convinced by the story. It was just a very pretty film, with a strong cast, but it very rarely reached out and grabbed me. It has some great ideas, but I think it got too preachy and on nose with how it delivered them.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
The Matrix - 9.5

It was so fresh and original on release and holds up really well. Still a great action film and thriller, looks great, really stylish and even manages Joss' trick of having lots of exposition without it feeling like exposition

Now I just have to hope that the next 2 are better than I remembered.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Eternals - 3.5/10

Not the worst Marvel but not far off. Full of exposition dumps and low quality characters. The score is bad, feels like a musical is about to break out at times. They're trying to be deep but fail to pull it off.

Eternals - 4/10

The think for me the problem was that the characters were just too bland and I was never convinced by the story. It was just a very pretty film, with a strong cast, but it very rarely reached out and grabbed me. It has some great ideas, but I think it got too preachy and on nose with how it delivered them.
I think I'm just very generous with the Marvel movies. lol. Cause I see the problems, I just don't care. lol. I like most of the characters. My big problem is with Gemma Chan's character Sersi, she's just so bland, and the love story is never convincing. But I really like all of the fight scenes, the global scale, I like most of he comedy. I do think that the main plot and themes are a bit too "deep" or at least not really want MCU fans want to discuss. It's almost too philosophical. Captain America Civil War dealt with an interesting philosophy, but it was rooted in the characters that we already knew and loved. Here we don't know these Eternals, so certain things that happen to them, have no real weight. Also, a lot of characters are just wasted. I'm going to go see it a second time this week, and I'll see if my feelings change.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I like Chan, but yeah maybe not the best character. I also guessed that a certain character was going to turn out to be a villain early on.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The Matrix - 9.5

It was so fresh and original on release and holds up really well. Still a great action film and thriller, looks great, really stylish and even manages Joss' trick of having lots of exposition without it feeling like exposition

Now I just have to hope that the next 2 are better than I remembered.
I'm rewatching them in preparation for the new one as well.

The Matrix - 8

The original is a classic and I was blown away back in 99. Still a good watch now but it's got some flaws. The characters and in particular the love story are a little bland. Some of the effects haven't aged well and the fight choreography is a bit cheesy at times. All that said it's a brilliant story that pulls you in and is full of iconic moments.

Matrix Reloaded - 6

Some very shoddy CGI and a lot of exposition heavy script. Keeps the problems mentioned above from the original without the same charm and pacing. I've never thought of the sequels as awful but a rewatch does confirm a dip in quality here at least.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
No Time To Die (7/10): Well, I was not looking forward to this given all the social/political commentary and controversy surrounding it; from 'Bond for the #metoo generation' to 'omg 007 is now a Black woman, watch out Bond!' to 'I haven't even seen it and can tell its just more SJW crap...'

In truth its a somewhat mixed bag; I found it more entertaining than the previous Bond movie in many ways; Craig and Seydoux are the heart of the film and their interplay probably its strongest element, Waltz Blofeld was entertaining in his menacing return and the Cuban mission (especially Ana De Armas charismatic turn as an 'inexperienced' spy) stood out as really thrilling old-school spy-caper stuff.
Overall the film looked gorgeous, the set pieces were well-executed and the evil scheme was just about colorful and original enough to engage my attention for the (overly long) run-time; all of which led to a memorable ending for Craig's Bond.

The weaker elements were Malek's insipid villain and Lashana Lynch's much anticipated but ultimately dull 007; I expected more from both of them since I'd enjoyed previous performances by both.

I awarded it an extra mark or so for being better than a lot of dross I've been wading through recently; turns out an average Bond film was still a treat.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Oh disagree about Lynch I thought she was great and they did just about what you would hope with that character.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom