• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last TV You've Seen #10

Priceless

Scooby
The Handmaids Tale Season 4 Ep 1 - Good start to the season, can't wait to see where it goes. Had me in tears at the end 8/10

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Preferred the second episode. A lot of the stuff in Canada I'm enjoying.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I can't watch it...the book made me feel sick. Let me know if there's a happy ending.

If you think the book is bleak the show dials it up to another level

I have seen a few sad or haunting shows in recent years like The Wire, Oz, Edge of Darkness. 6 Feet Under, Top of the Lake, The Returned (French), The Killing (Danish) etc but none of them come close to the bleakness of The Handmaids Tale.
Most shows will have some moments of hope or dark humour, but from what I can remember in THT you may get a few seconds at the end of the ep if you're lucky

I made it through about the first 5/6 eps and would have watched to the end of the season thinking it would be a 1 season miniseries, but then I saw an interview with the creator saying he wanted it to last for 8 seasons, and decided I couldn't take being this miserable for the next 7.5 years and stopped watching !

Admittedly I did start watching it in the run up to xmas one year which might not have been the best time for it

But on a lighter note

Veep 8.5
The characters become more nasty and vicious each year, and yet possibly the funniest season yet

TriBel

Scooby
If you think the book is bleak the show dials it up to another level
Which is what I thought. 😒 I really like Atwood but I read this at about the same time as I read Surfacing and I much preferred the latter. HT is relentless. It made me want to stick my head in a gas oven. I daren't watch it now...I'm in such a pissy mood at the moment that I'm thinking of moving to a small hamlet (or Hebdon Bridge 😏). If anything else deepens my massive sulk with people I'll have to retreat to a cave or the bottom of an empty well. :mad: After the weekend I've extended my hit list from "Westminster" to "people who graffiti murals in The Village"; "people who punch Trans-women in the face"; "people in Didsbury with dogs that look like rats". I'm not fit to be around. 😄

I'll watch Veep...there's a copy on the shelf. :)

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Veep is amazing , surprised it hasn't got more regard .

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I'm in such a pissy mood at the moment that I'm thinking of moving to a small hamlet (or Hebdon Bridge 😏)

If you are feeling pissy now and are thinking of moving to Hebdon Bridge I hope you think that hipsters are the greatest tribe on earth, because last time I went there the place was crawling with them :)

TriBel
TriBel
I know and I'm okay with them at the moment but I'm sure I could hate them over time (particularly if they have tiny, teeny, dogs). I'll watch Veep and redirect my hatred back at politicians - they're fair game. 😄

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Shadow and Bone season 1 - 6.5/10
So, this is a standard YA fantasy, and has some cheesy dialogue, but production value is good. It's a step up from a CW show. I do like the world building and some of the characters. The story is standard, "the one" chosen to save the world or people and in a love triangle. But it opens up as the episodes go on. It's based on the book Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo and set in her Grishaverse fantasy world. If you like YA fantasy then this worth checking out. Ben Barnes does a good job, charming as always but not a good guy. The lead actress is meh, but I enjoy the side characters, especially the trio of Kaz, Inej and Jesper. I also got invested in the witch and the Scandinavian guy, reminded me of Jon Snow and Ygritte from Game of Thrones. I'm hoping season 2 will step up the dialogue and writing because I enjoy the world.

TriBel

Scooby
Watched Ep 4 of Loki - it was better than the first 3 but I'm not convinced these people are real actors.

Hunga Munga Veep is amazing , surprised it hasn't got more regard .

The lads love it - in fact, I've just found the first two seasons on DVD. I presume they left them here (along with the complete set of Xena and about 15 Studio Ghibli films). I wish they'd taken all their stuff and left me money. 😒

@Hunga Munga - Right - if they don't claim it it's going on Ebay along with all their Pokemon cards. 😄

Last edited:
Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Xena is worth money :D Tried a few eps of Hercules this week as it goes , proper cringe .

Ghost Boy

Scooby
The Walking Dead. Season 3.

7/10.

MV5BMTM4OTg2MzA2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ4NzY5Nw@@._V1_.jpg

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Robin of Sherwood S1 (1984? ) 7.5/10. Strong show , the heartthrob Robin Hood isn't the greatest actor but the supporting cast carry it off okay . A product of its time with a limited shelflife , it lived on in export markets around the world . I like all the fighting and the magical weirdness :D

Still reckon it's the best rendition of the Robin Hood legend . Reboooot !! :p

TriBel

Scooby
The Watch 1/10 BBC America iplayer.

Got to 7.47 - stopped - took a deep breath and tried again. Got to 13.02 and gave up. It's rubbish. The essence of a Terry Pratchett novel is a) it's funny and b) it's clever. This is neither. I wasn't a huge fan of Good Omens but GO could give this a 95 metre start; chew off its own legs and still beat The Watch in a 100 metre race. Maybe it gets better - don't know - don't care. I couldn't get past Richard Dormer's gurning. 😠 Ave. audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 38%...still too high.

@Priceless - maybe if I'd watched to the end it would have been 4/10 in keeping with RT but I wasn't going to risk it. Reviews in general were poor.

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
Shame, I like Richard Dormer

TriBel

Scooby
Spanky Is that not a given that Skarsgård was superb?

It is...but I couldn't think of anything else to write. In fact, that's a lie - I could have written "I didn't know Jared Harris was the son of Richard and Elizabeth Harris" but then I'd look really stupid.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Binged the first half of Leverage: Redemption (1-8). Really liked it. Looking forward to part 2 later this year...

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Earthsea (2004?) 6/10 . I really enjoyed this TV miniseries , but it's no prize . A few decent character actors propel the story . Doesn't do justice to the books natch ... my watch has better CGI :p , but still an engaging tale .

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Loki-season 1- 7/10
I am not a big fan of Loki, never have been, so I wasn't super excited for this show. The first episode was basically a recap of Loki in the MCU up until the show as well as introducing the Time Variance Authority (TVA). The second episode was a mystery, the third was "character development". The fourth episode was exposition and reveals. The fifth was "fun with Loki variants" and the last episode was more exposition at a desk. So, there's really not much going on in this show. It probably could have been a movie rather than a show, cause there's a lot I'd cut out of this show. What I love is that it seems to be setting up Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, which I am super excited about. The reveal in the last episode, seems to be setting up the MCU going forward. So far, WandaVision is my favorite Disney Plus Marvel show (I love it so much!), but I did enjoy Loki more than The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I still don't love the Loki character
And I find it weird that Loki falls in love with a variant of himself. It's the personification of narcissism. ugh

Priceless
Priceless
Wow,that spoiler makes so much sense for Loki.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, which I am super excited about.
I am setting myself up to be disappointed by it. The idea of a Marvel horror movie intrigues me, but then I think what about what a (Disney) Marvel horror movie might actually look like and eh... In theory I'm looking forward to seeing it but then I hear how you have to watch the various Marvel TV shows to really know what's happening and I am even more eh... about it.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I recently found out that one of my favorite childhood shows (Eerie, Indiana) was for free on Amazon Prime. This was one of the very few shows I made the effort to see when I was a child.

And later a friend and I formed bizarre conspiracy theories on the enigmatic Dash-X (a kid with no memory of how he got there and has a TV remote plus and minus to mark him, hence his name of Dash-X, as does some extradimensional or extraterrestrial race later revealed, and he manages to "hack" it so that it's revealed as a TV show toward the end, but then an early episode also had a transfer between TV and their reality by biting a remote control).

I also couldn't help but think of it when I first saw the X-Files that I thought of as Eerie, Indiana for adults (and in later season the X-F did get just as weird, even where Mulder gets sucked into a video game). Though more adult, there's a similar vibe, even some of the trivial details like same hair color, and the Eerie pair are Marshall and Simon instead of Mulder and Scully.

"Jenny's Uncle" (the actor anyway) plays the scary mad dentist that wires a kid's mouth with a retainer that looks more like a torture device with the side effect that the boy can understand what dogs say (and Marshall makes it so they can all here), thus learning of a violent revolution dogs have planned against humanity.

I'm finding it's still amusing, and also picking up a lot of political references (mostly snarky more than preachy) I missed before (most are subtle, though I'm not sure what to think of BF Skinner Junior High). What really surprised me was all the open digs against consumerism along with avoiding product placements to the point that they invented generic breakfast cereals for them to eat, when all the other kid's shows of the time seemed to be about marketing new toys, books, and games (or boosting old ones). I'm surprised they got away with it.

There was a sequel but I heard it sucked. That's also for free and I was planning on giving it a whirl. I want to see if they were still "getting away with it" or if they had assimilated it into the consumerist borg collective.

But alas, I just found out there's less than 2 weeks for both being up for free viewing. There's no way I could cram it all in with that time (if I did then I'd come to hate it). I'll just have to see some of my favorites and give the other a whirl (maybe 3 eps) before continuing the Angel season 5 rewatch, maybe catching an ep here or there before it's not available anymore.

Maybe I'll end up buying it. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this, and how it can make me laugh out loud at times.

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
I loved Eerie Indiana, great show.
Top Bottom