• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last TV You've Seen #5

Mr Trick

Scooby
Trust - 7/10
I prefer the film based on the Getty story [All the Money in the World]. 10 episodes was a bit too much. Think it could have worked better with about 6. It spent too much time with characters I didn't really care about. But the direction was good throughout, the cast were good and the satire on greed effective.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Twin Peaks season 2 (1990/91) 8/10
Because of the big drop in the middle (with Lynch's departure) I have to rank this a bit lower than the first season and The Return. But the start is great and the ending some of the best Twin Peaks ever. The finale is truly terrifying. The final shot such a great gut punch. Also I'm pretty sure Bobby repeats his line from the pilot the one about "I thought Germans were always on time" which I love:)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Community season 2 (2010/2011) 8/10
Like this even more than the first season. "Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples", "Epidemiology", "Cooperative Calligraphy", "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas", Critical Film Studies" are all classics for me!:)

13 Reasons Why season 2 - 4/10

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
This Is Us: Six Thanksgivings - thumbs WAY up! Packed a whole lot into those 40 odd minutes! Plus they gave us a LGBT coming of age reveal in a Thanksgiving episode! 😲

ETA - just read that Catherine Hardwicke (director/co-writer of Thirteen) directed this episode! :)

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Loved that This Is Us ep
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Well that is you're appeal. There's things you like which I don't.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The Office (US) Season 4 (2007/08) 8/10

Care - 8/10
Painful, but brutally honest drama about the state of the care system in this country. Outstanding performances. Certain points were hit home a bit over much. But it was a well told and compelling drama.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Mrs Wilson - 6/10
Didn't really see what all the fuss was about really. Just felt like one of those run of the mill, dry British period pieces which just happened to have remarkable true life story behind it. Ruth Wilson is of course excellent. But I much prefer her tearing it up as Alice in Luther:p

My Brilliant Friend [series 1] 8/10
I assume there's going to be more just because the ending felt a bit incomplete and I have heard all the novels in this series are getting made. My only small complaint is that it felt a bit soapy at times. Still some of the best direction, acting and character writing I've seen on TV this year.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
7 consecutive seasons of Ink Master. It's addictive, is what it is. I give it a 8 out of 10 :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
The X-Files season 11 - 6/10
An improvement on the rubbish tenth season. It at least got back to something like what the original show was. The William storyline was terrible though. Can we get that damn reboot now [but without William!].

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Crazy Ex Girlfriend. I think I have @Evil Seal to thank for this one. Ta :D I thoroughly enjoyed season 1. 8/10

I didn't want to stop... so I binged it. I would not recommend this show as a binge watch. Season 1 was a lot of fun, but in a binge watch after that, it starts to get annoying. By season 2 I was so frustrated by the characters decisions and wondered if they were doing a commentary on all of the most annoying female experiences. I felt like I had seen all of the things I hate about most of my friends played out on screen. I could relate to the desert dancing party but that was about it. I kept watching, the songs were still clever. 6/10

By season 3 I was rooting for Trent. I felt like I was just watching a show about terrible and bratty people. I started to feel really crappy but I was now hooked and needed to see how it ended, while really hating myself for giving my time to characters I had grown to dislike. When she did her diagnosis song I rolled my eyes so hard I gave myself a headache. I knew they would give her a BPD diagnosis by then. I HATE the way it romanticised personality disorders/mental illness. And then ended with someone who was a victim of that particular situation, punishing herself yet again, while the audience is lead to believe it was brave and responsible. It entirely missed the point of personality disorders and their treatment, further stigmatising those who are trapped in the patterns of behaviour as willing participants. This season ruined the entire show for me. Back in season 1 I had hoped to share some of the music and laughs with others, but having got to season 3, I would no longer recommend nor endorse it. 2/10 for the dance numbers.

The Let Down. This is an aussie comedy ( I used that term loosely) which I watched very late at night after Crazy Ex Girlfriend left me in a shit mood. I did not enjoy it because I was so mad at the characters for being massive whingers and not knowing about the realities of motherhood before they were so desperate to gain it. Again I felt like I was watching all the traits I hate in my friends on the screen, and then got pissy with myself for getting a grin out of their misery. Plus frustrated with characters being SO incredibly unprepared and unconcerned about messing their babies up before age 1 being played as a laugh. 1/10 maybe those that can relate or have participated in mother group would enjoy it more but I just thought the characters were a bunch of stupid wealthy pricks who clearly did not make informed decisions. The parts that were designed to make me feel empathy made me laugh and I think I came out of watching that as a worse person.

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
@HoppyHippy It's funny how differently we see things! You also didn't like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, if I remember correctly, while it's one of my absolute favourites. I'd love to discuss this more with you if you're game.
Concerning CXGF, I saw it the complete opposite way. I felt like they destigmatize mental health issues by showing us how one could and should work towards a more stable life. I completely relate with the diagnosis song because I too once had this feeling that, if only I could put a label on why I made the choices I made, everything could magically be ok and I would be happy. But in reality - and I feel like CXGF says that well - one has to work for it and a diagnosis is not a solution, it's a step.
I feel like this show really nailed the path of someone who makes all the wrong choices for a while, and decides to take responsibility and get better (this last part comes in s04, I don't know if you've seen it).
I felt like I was just watching a show about terrible and bratty people.
The show does depict some terrible and crappy people (in part for comic effect) but they are trying and succeeding in becoming better people (except Trent but he's a great character). You see people dealing with their emotions in different ways, and it's rare to even see people really deal with their emotions realistically on screen. I find this show to be the most realistic show I've seen, I can certainly relate to it.
Plus, it's hilarious and has dope musical numbers. I'm glad you at least liked season 1 :p

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Oh no there is a season 4? I will probably have to watch that - has it ended yet? I do want to know how it truly ends. It only had up to season 3 on netflix. I defo won't binge season 4 haha. It is a great show to get up and dance too and I think there should be more structured like it in these times of sedentary consumption. The quality is pretty good :) The songs are catchy and simple to pick up. I always love a chance to continue conversation to broaden experience on both sides. Which is your favourite song @Evil Seal ? I wasn't even gona try the heavy boobs dance - ow!

I saw the end of season 3 as a bad choice to punish herself once again - in a deluded attempt to gain happiness. It wasn't taking responsibility, it was continuing her personality cycle of running away/punishment ignoring those who love and cared about her, because life didn't follow her ideal. It was almost a complete circle back to season 1 - so a season 4 does make me a little hopeful to redeem the show. I hope the patterns are not continued because that does further stigmatise.

I guess I feel the way I do about it as I have lived experience with many women like this, plus a couple traits myself (I tend more to cluster C in the personality sense.) The people I knew were truly desperate to change their patterns, they were so distressed in wards or homeless they actually worked hard at treatments. Many did not have charm and good looks to get them as far as Rebecca (it is true that some women with charm and good looks get celebrated for their bpd traits). The points in season 3 where she could have made the right choices, held herself to a standard, even draw on her therapy, she didn't. She mocked the body scan and others who provided her with advice. She acted like a brat faking her commitment to the healing process. The character did the most awful things for laughs, it is never truly funny to watch a person dig themselves so deep in real life. It hurts, the pain makes people turn on the patient. The lights and makeup make it not look so bad - but the content is pretty shocking.

Realistically when a person is in hospital after a suicide attempt - no one else gets told about it. The room full of bears and balloons was NOT at all a realistic portrayal of a hospital admission after a suicide attempt. The support she got from her workmates was also outrageously romanticised. The label outlines the behaviour loop she was stuck in and even after becoming aware of it, she did not control her demon desires. There was always a point she could, but the show went for the most harmful choice each time - showing those with this disorder to be dangerous and spiteful. That is only really the case about half the time ;) Having been a rotating mental patient for over a decade, I was in close quarters with a heck of a lot of truly mentally ill people. The label song itself was a trigger for me as when you really read the DSM, the labels become a ridiculous list of some filthy rich dudes idea of bad behaviour. The lack of basis for so much of the psychiatry bible is obvious for anyone who has looked further into it than what the money driven medical system promotes.

Rebecca received far more support than someone in the public who behaves like that - the romanticising was the bit I choked on. It did show how mentally unwell her colleagues are also for choosing to be blind and forgiving over and over again to stay on the drama train. Maybe it could be twisted into commentary on what happens when super smart people are bored - they turn evil.

I wont seek out season 4 but if it pops up on Netflix I will give it a go. I do really, really hope it changes track. At this point I don't feel I even know who Rebecca is, she is just a combination of all the worst traits a person can have - exactly like the flawed label of BPD.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
PBS American Experience: Murder of A President - about the life & killing of the 20th president James Garfield. Was quite interesting.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Channel Zero - Candle Cove - 8/10
Wow. That was a bit...trippy. Understandable, for a show based on creepypastas.

Done in six parts, the show only gets creepier and more tense with each episode. It's full of great actors and, most importantly perhaps, great directors (plural? idk). One of my absolute favorite parts of the show was the choices the director made throughout all six episodes, my number one being the severe slow turn of the camera to create tension. So slow that my friend got super impatience after a while, but I loved that decision.

Currently watching S2; it's an anthology series.

Top Bottom