• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rate the Last TV You've Seen #5

Mr Trick

Scooby
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina season 1 - 7.5/10
Much darker than I expected! Some good characters and interesting twists. The season built to a gripping end. Along with Lost in Space this might be the surprise of the year.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
actually only pt 1 of S1. Pt 2 will be in April!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Mad Men (Complete) - 7/10.

A very solid series with some great characterisation and a really good look into the 60s as a decade but let down by a couple of lacklustre seasons towards the end of the show and not enough focus on characters who were important to the series.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Dinner for One [1963] 7.5/10
A bizarre and slapstick sketch which has been shown in Germany on New Year's Eve every year since the 1970's. It was shown in the UK for the first time a couple of nights ago. Has to be seen to be believed;)

Puppet
Puppet
It's a total tradition to watch it each year in my family, I know it by heart :D
RachM
RachM
I LOVE Dinner For One, my bestie and I usually watch it on NYE, it's hilarious

Evil Seal

Alright, 10 more minutes of chanting.
Oh no there is a season 4? I will probably have to watch that - has it ended yet? I do want to know how it truly ends.
No it hasn't ended yet, it'll be 18 episodes long and the final season, it's the way the series was planned from the beginning. Only 8 eps are out so far I think.

Which is your favourite song @Evil Seal ? I wasn't even gona try the heavy boobs dance - ow!
Haha I can so relate to that song ("I can't run real far" :p). I loved I Gave You A UTI too, the actor really nailed the physical comedy. But the song I relate to the most is Stupid Bitch.

I saw the end of season 3 as a bad choice to punish herself once again - in a deluded attempt to gain happiness. It wasn't taking responsibility, it was continuing her personality cycle of running away/punishment ignoring those who love and cared about her, because life didn't follow her ideal. It was almost a complete circle back to season 1 - so a season 4 does make me a little hopeful to redeem the show. I hope the patterns are not continued because that does further stigmatise.
Yes, it's true she made a very bad choice but for the first time in the show she actually accepts that she went too far. That "deluded attempt to gain happiness" (very well put btw) is addressed in season 4, I think the show just doesn't go fast enough for you :p

I guess I feel the way I do about it as I have lived experience with many women like this, plus a couple traits myself (I tend more to cluster C in the personality sense.)
My mom actually might have BPD, we aren't sure yet but she exhibits all the behaviours typically associated with it. That's why I find this show interesting, I can have so kind of insight into the reasons behind my mom's choices and maybe understand some of them. I've spend a great deal of my life trying to communicate and understand her and I finally feel like it might be one day possible. (And I'm also more of a type C)

The support she got from her workmates was also outrageously romanticised.
Can't argue with that but that's the series' attempt to show that support from friends can go a long way. Her coworkers have become real friends (also not the most realistic but it happens) and real friends do support you when something like this happens. My sister found out who her true friends were when she was hospitalized for self-harm during her depression.

I wont seek out season 4 but if it pops up on Netflix I will give it a go. I do really, really hope it changes track. At this point I don't feel I even know who Rebecca is, she is just a combination of all the worst traits a person can have - exactly like the flawed label of BPD.
Dude, you should DEFINITELY watch season 4, I think it'll give you some kind of closure and you kinda just figured out the new theme song :p

Mr Trick

Scooby
Luther series 5 (2019) 8/10
The ending was just Wow!:D Makes you wonder if its the final series. It certainly felt like it could be a fitting note to end on. Once again it was gripping, disturbing with some great acting and brilliant character interactions. The Luther-Alice relationship is one of my favourite of recent television.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Doc Martin (2009) 10/10

I love this man. He really makes me laugh. But Louisa gets on my nerves.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
BBC doc series: Back in Time for the Weekend - 2 thumbs way up! Entertaining and informative. :)

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Star Trek - Catspaw

Aww a big kitty! Was the kitty supposed to be scary?

I give it 8 out of 10 cats.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
Nailed It! Holiday! - so this is the guilty pleasure tv, it is just easy entertainment.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Tidying up with Marie Kondo - What a cute little cleaning munchikin! I LOVE her idea of items bringing joy. I don't have much stuff but I did get rid of a whole lot more kitchen utensils because so much of it was my evil stepmothers things. I used them but certainly did not like them, using those things made me miserable with memories of her terrible cooking and depressing home. Bad energy. I thought I had to keep everything that was practical but I really didn't and I am so glad I saw this show :) Her other techniques are like my mums, I had forgotten I was keeping boxes to compartmentalise everything (I hope that will work for my brain now too). Anyway a great show with a lovely lady leading the way to a lighter lifestyle. 10/10 I haven't seen every episode but I hope she does another season :)

Consumed - near on the opposite approach from the konmari method. This lady comes in and shames the families. The cleaning is guilt driven and agitated. I haven't seen the lot but so far a few families have fallen back into bad habits on the last visit, one family has completely broken up and one sold the home within 3 months of it being made over by the consumed team. She makes them pack up the house, live without everything for 2 weeks and then throw out 75% of what they own. They haven't been taught how to organise the belongings, instead the homes are made over and only 25% of their things go back. Of course its gona look cleaner with a paint job and that much chucked out! Every family has had some kind of crying drama, there is no fun or joy like the show mentioned above. It feels very much like American reality tv - nasty. I don't know why I still have it on - its not teaching me anything and is like Dr Phil crossed with a makeover show. The make over guy is clever and thoughtful. He earns this show 2/10

Big Dreams, Small Spaces Season 3. I enjoyed the other two seasons. So far nothing has been mindblowing but all impressive with their big budgets. I like the practical tips and the idea to divide the gardens into zones. 9/10

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
To be honest... it was Spongebob! Abbs fault lol... she loves rewatching stuff like that... he ripped his pants lol 6/10

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
ER : Season 1 (8/10)

I love the beginning of this TV show, the 22 episodes's situations that happens in an hospital with patients is fast paced, it moves really fast. Episodes are really addictive. It has by moments blood & really good shots like this one episode that was really sad and shocking "Love's Labor Lost" where Dr Greene misdiagnoses a pregnant patient which will lead to something terrible, it is the best episode in S1. This show has also good and interesting characters that we (viewers) explore their professional lives and personal lives (marriage, difficulty of not being ready...). Great season.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Angel season 3 (2001-02) 8/10
The dip in the second half of the season is one of the reasons I don't love it quite as much as S2. But episodes like Fredless, Billy, Birthday and Lullaby are some of the best of the whole series. Also I love Holtz as a villain and his feud with Angel, plus the end to Darla's arc.

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Mary Poppins - returns. 5/10
Really didn't like it that much as opposed to Abbs who loved it... lol

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Have to go with Abbs on this one!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The Third Industrial Revolution. This was fun. I hope some of his notions prove to be correct. Some of the economics went over my head but I liked predicted future the sharing economy. The truck drivers laughed at me when I said the trucks they drive now will be non existent in 20 years. The guy on the TV agrees. Future looks bright when there is this sort of spin on it.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Stay Here - a light Netflix lifestyle show cashing in on the booming short term rental market. Some amazing modern designs and nice numbers for the businesses. My favourite was the vineyard, I think that sort of thing is closer to what would work in my type of region (not so much the cottage design as much as the "farm experience"). Must be getting old to enjoy home makeover shows... 7/10

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Sex Education (Netflix) - watched 1st four episodes with the GF. 2 thumbs up, so far! Kind of like John Hughes meets American Pie only British. 🤔 Starring Gillian Anderson & Asa Butterfield. Newcomers Ncuti Gatwa & Emma Mackay have been excellent. Pretty good soundtrack too. :cool:

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I'm planning on checking that out at some point.

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
4/5 BBC's War & Peace
It only took like 30 minutes of me grumbling about the book until I let it go and got into this miniseries, it reminded me why I trust the BBC with book adaptations. Now, it's a big honking book so a lot was necessarily cut out, but it was pretty clear that the people being this project were very keen on establishing the key points of most of the characters and had carefully selected what to portray and what Little tweaks were required. All in all, a great success, though I did have a couple of gripes.

Positives:
-Brian Cox as Kutuzov. Inspired. Almost makes up for Gillian Anderson being there.
-Stephen Rea, perfect choice.
-Paul Dano as Pierre, though technically far too skinny to be the fat and bumbling Pierre, bless you BBC for at least allowing him to be more of an anti-hero as intended. Yes, it is an adaptation, but when productions turn Pierre into a dashing hero they ruin the whole character whose entire purpose is, arguably, to be the man who's not a dashing hero in a book filled with dashing heroes. He's the true searcher, the one with the good heart but who messes everything up. Paul Dano was a really great Pierre, he captured his kindly cluelessness very well.
-The casting, generally, is terrific. Count Bolkonsky is played by the actor who plays Professor Slughorn in Harry Potter and it is amazing.
- Great job at choosing the most important parts of the books and tweaking just enough to have it all make sense. Great pacing.
- Great battle scenes
- Love the Russian songs and occasional inclusions of French. Very true to form.

Negatives:
- Gillian Anderson. It is awkward that she's in this. It is clearly just so they can put her name on the cover and in the trailer, they gave her a part that could've been slightly more developed but just coast by on the fact that they've got Gillian Anderson playing her. Don't get me wrong, I love Gillian Anderson, but she was really miscast in this.

- Maria. I knew this was going to bug me, but when you have a character who is primarily describe as "plain", so plain that literally every character when they first see her basically shrink back and go "ugh, she's sooo unattractive" then it's really annoying to have a just slightly less super pretty actress playing her. They try to frump her up, they do, but it's still a stretch to see people react strong to her supposed ugliness. The actress is great, so this is just a pet peeve of mine. She captures the character great, but sometimes I'm like... are there no actually plain actresses to be found?

- Not enough focus on Pierre's screw ups. They let him say that he's a "fat, drunk, aristocrat" who messes Everything up, but we only actually see him as he starts his admirable endeavors. We don't see his failures or how he gets jaded. Not beyond his failed marriage, but that's not really his fault. In this sense they do try to hero him up a bit.

- Intimating a Natasha / Pierre romance at the start. The actress for Natasha stays the same throughout so it's easy to forget that she is literally a child here and it is creepy and ham-handed.

- The actors for Denisov and Dolokhov look too much alike. Denisov is one of my favorite characters and even I got confused during some battle scenes.

- The strange incestuous vibe they added to Hélène and Anatole, ew! We get it! They're bad people. Everyone can see it. Don't add naked sibling cuddles into that (that's not a euphemism btw, it was just cuddling)

Big negative: At least one dog got something shot at it's behind during the filming of this. It's yelp is still ringing in my ears. I'm mad at you BBC.

Top Bottom