• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the last tv you've seen #9

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Wynonna Earp series(?) finale - very satisfying finale. WayHaught wedding 💜
All the characters got a proper send off. Kudos for doing right by it's LGBT characters.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Snabba Cash Season 1 - 8/10
Nicely plotted, and tense crime series with strong performances, and a gritty realism. In many ways its a typical crime drama, but it also does carries a strong message about the downsides of getting into a life of crime or too good to be true riches.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The Haunting Of Hill House: 8/10. Very atmospheric horror mini-series and a simple story done very well. Whilst it might not be the scariest thing ever its still a masterclass in characterization. Everyone is so vividly depicted and there's tons of great dialogue. Loved the set design, the sound design and all the little clever, creepy touches you find on re-watch.
Shame about that last episode which goes to ridiculous lengths to get a happy ending and ends up undercutting much of the horror.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah others have been down on the final episode. I liked it personal. But agree with your thoughts overall.
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
♥ this show

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Tess of D’Urbervilles
oh but how I love this book and how I loved this adaptation. Gemma Arterton was pretty enough for me to be ready to pursue her against rhyme and reason! As always this story leaves me torn — I want Alec to truly redeem himself, I want Angel to not be such a hypocrite, and most of all I want a better ending for Tess. To Bristol it is!

The tragedy is the point of course, so many what if’s and if only‘s... An excuse for me to ugly cry an entire evening.

The cast of this adaptation was spot on, and I think my favorite part was how supportive the other milkmaids were of Tess. Female friendships ftw <3

Emma (2009)
Another BBC series, I watched (or bought) this because I saw it hailed as the superior adaptation above the 2020 movie. To be honest I prefer both over the 90’s and earlier versions. Both are really good adaptations, but I am not as enamored with Romola Garai’s Emma as other Austen fans are. I think Anya Taylor Joy is an equally, if not better, Emma to be honest. Not that it matters, both are great depending on ones mood. This version Is more realistic and context appropriate, the 2020 more stylized and modern in morals and outlook. Either way, if it is one thing I trust the BBC to do it is costume dramas worthwhile and faithful to the source material.

I was somewhat shocked to see Tamsin Greig as Mrs Bates however, thanks to @Athena I associate her with Green Wing and that is..not Austen, lol.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
David Attenborough: Life on Our Planet

I did enjoy this, it was more about what he had witnessed since starting doing the documentaries, and showing how things had changed, but that some things can actually be reversed. It was less doom and gloom that I was expecting it to be.

Priceless

Scooby
Finding Jack Charlton - Moving and insightful documentary focused mainly on Charlton's time as Ireland manager. (If you want to help players with football related dementia, donate to the Jeff Astle Foundation - you can even donate your brain) 9/10

thetopher

Sineya
Sense And Sensibility (1995) 10/10 Warm, witty and romantic. Perfect cast. I love Elinor and Marianne's views on love and how they both change their perceptions by the end of the movie. Also Alan Rickman as a dashing Colonel? Yes please. Probably my favourite adaptation of JA.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Shameless finale. The last few seasons have been kind of weak. They probably should've ended the series 3-4 years ago. However, the finale was a good send off for the characters overall. They had a neat call back to the bonfire party in the pilot. One quibble: Frank doesn't mention Fiona at the end. However, they did show clips of her through out a few montages/flashbacks. To be fair, maybe Frank was just referencing the people that were actually there at the time? It's been a long wild bumpy journey thru the south side of Chicago over this last decade. And with that we bid farewll to the Gallaghers & friends. 🍺

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
When it was good ,it was very very good .

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'm surprised no one else watched the nevers. I thought someone else might have watched it.

thetopher

Sineya
I tried The Irregulars and gave up after 1 episode. It was...not good or interesting or authentic. The dialogue was a bit cringe.

Reactions: Nix

Priceless

Scooby
Too Close - Psychological thriller where a middle class couple have issues within their marriages and handle them all incredibly badly. Such a disappointment, fast forwarded through the last episode 2/10

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Howards End (2017)
Great adaptation. Still cannot stand Helen, just as in the book, but I suppose in a way one either is a Margaret or a Helen and I am comfortable being a Margaret.

Hayley Atwell is just... <3 Though I can’t help but feel like @Athena has inspired me there by her love of Agent Carter.

Now I feel like I must watch the 2005 or so Pride and Prejudice because this made me love Matthew Macfadyen ... though maybe it is the beard, I do have a fondness for beards.

Doesn’t really make you miss an even more class stratified society however. Though perhaps there are benefits to it being more out in the open than presently

Mr Trick

Scooby
THEM Season 1 - 9/10
One of the most gripping, tense, atmospheric shows I'm likely to see all year. It has real style and effective use of music. The cast are very good (fingers crossed Alison Pil at least will get some noms for her terrifying performance). It really doesn't pull any punches when it comes to depicting racism of all kinds. Despite how grim it is, there are some kick ass empowering moments too.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Earth 2100

Obviously very American based, but still a good show depicting on what could happen if we don't change our ways and reduce or effect on climate change. It's given me a few ideas on what to do next, and what we all need to do in order to essentially stay alive.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Mr Trick said:
Mare of Easttown Episode 1: Miss Lady Hawk Herself
Really strong first episode for this new HBO thriller/drama. Its the perfect role for Kate Winslet, she plays cyncial/deadpan, really well. She totally disapears into the role. There's a good supporting cast too including Julianne Nicholson, Guy Pearce, Jean Smart and David Denman. First episode set up some good characters.
Solid premiere! Definitely going to be watching more. Plus a little LGBT representation. :)

Mehansa

Townie
Supernatural episode 1-4 - 7.5/10. It hasn't totally pulled me in yet, but I do see potential as the brother's relationship grow.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Kiss the Earth - Netflix documentary, I enjoyed this one, and not just as Ian Somerhalder was in it! It wasn't preachy in the way a lot of climate change type of documentaries are, but more informative. Also recognising that the subsidies need to change in order for farmers to change practices.

HowiMetdaSlayer

The Falcon Captain America and The Winter Soldier - I enjoyed this more than Wandavision.
Not overly keen on what they did with Agent Carter. Hopefully she'll be more of a loose cannon operating in the grey, instead of a straight up villain.

Priceless

Scooby
The Falcon Captain America and The Winter Soldier - I enjoyed this more than Wandavision.
Not overly keen on what they did with Agent Carter. Hopefully she'll be more of a loose cannon operating in the grey, instead of a straight up villain.
They made Agent Carter a villain?? I do not like that at all. Was she played by Hayley Atwell?

HowiMetdaSlayer

Priceless said:
They made Agent Carter a villain?? I do not like that at all. Was she played by Hayley Atwell?
Actually the other Agent Carter...

Priceless
Priceless
Well that's a relief :) Never a big fan of hers
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I like what I've seen of Sharon, but don't know much about the character so can't comment on that twist.
thetopher
thetopher
Praying that it's revealed that she's deep undercover to get closer to the actual bad guys. Otherwise... nope!
Top Bottom