• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

"Real" Art Challenge

goldenboy

Scooby
Alright, I'm throwing down the gauntlet. This is a thread for "traditional", non-CGI Buffy creations. You know, paintings, drawings, sculpture, macaroni art...

I got the painting bug again and I'm working on something that's small enough to lay down on a scanner. Who's up for the challenge?

Willow Rosenberg
Willow Rosenberg
Great idea! :) Although if I participated it would like my 4yr old had gotten her crayons out 'lol'

goldenboy

Scooby
Oh, you mean I have to create rules? lol. Um...

I wasn't really thinking of a competition per se. More like an ever expanding online gallery show. But yeah, deadlines can be good things.

Let's say (to get started and motivated)...I wanna see something by the end of January, the 31st. Or is that too soon?

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
A gallery of realy work could be cool to?

I wanna find the time to do this, sounds fun!

Rebecca

Grr Argh...
Ooh this looks like fun. I'm not too good at all the computer art work stuff (CGI?)

I remember my first ever decent piece of art work was of Buffy.. I must have been about 12. So i'll get on with it!

Btw.. What's macaroni art and how do you do it?? I'm intrigued

goldenboy

Scooby
Maybe once there are enough submissions, we could create a proper gallery...like you'd click to get to the next piece...or just a cleaned up thread with all the work.

goldenboy

Scooby
Ooh this looks like fun. I'm not too good at all the computer art work stuff (CGI?)

I remember my first ever decent piece of art work was of Buffy.. I must have been about 12. So i'll get on with it!

Btw.. What's macaroni art and how do you do it?? I'm intrigued
Macaroni art. It's a time-honored American tradition of...elementary school teachers who are running out of ideas for art projects.

macaroni art on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Macaroni art on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Home is where the macaroni art is on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
General Ziti on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You just need glue, pasta and your imagination.

I was thinking...since presentation is always important (especially for an "art show"), maybe the pieces should be framed in some way—unless your artistic vision requires that it not be.

You could actually frame the painting or drawing, for real. Or, get it into photoshop or whatever and invent a picture frame for it at that point.

If it's a sculpture or 3D thing...a clean, simple background would be good when you photograph it.

Angels baby101

I hath Returned! MWhaha
I have no artistic abilities what so ever although.... Man my stick figure is killer lol

This sounds like fun though i cant wait to see what you all come up with ;)

goldenboy

Scooby
OK, with your submission, gimme some info:

"¢ the title

"¢ the medium (like acrylic on paper, oil on canvas, macaroni on cardboard...)

"¢ the vertical and horizontal dimensions in inches or...centimeters I guess (excluding the frame). If it's 3D, I want the height.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
damn, i don't have a scanner, otherwise, i might very well try to participate in this. lol, i'm more of an abstract artist...it's what i majored in. if i did do this, it would probably be somthing based on the comics. might just do it anyway, might find someway to up load it!

goldenboy

Scooby
I wonder if you could go to a photocopy shop? A lot of them have scanners. Otherwise, if you or a friend had a digital camera, that might work.

goldenboy

Scooby
Hmm. That looks computery to me. The final piece of artwork has to be rendered the old-fashioned way"”by hand. No computers or art making programs.

If you want to use the computer to help you prepare, that's fine. For instance, if you want to find reference photos online, or even design a composition digitally as a reference, that's OK. But the final work needs to be done by hand.

After it's finished, it can be brought into photoshop to create the "presentation". If you want to create a frame or a matte on the computer, that's OK.

UlaGan

Sunnydweller
Hmm. That looks computery to me. The final piece of artwork has to be rendered the old-fashioned way"”by hand. No computers or art making programs.

Ok, it was just reassuring question. So, we can't draw in Corel? Ok, gotta use scanner. :) Thanx for info.

goldenboy

Scooby
Just thinking again. I guess everyone should PM me their submissions. Then I could create a gallery thread of all the work. You'd get the total shock and awe effect cos nobody would have seen the pieces before in this thread or any other. Sound like a plan? Let me know if you have any other ideas.

goldenboy

Scooby
OK. I've designed signage for our art gallery. And I've got a tentative title for the first show. That may change, depending on all the submissions. I'm probably crazy, but I'm thinking big, imagining at least 20 pieces. We'll see where we stand at the end of the month. No previous art experience required, did I mention that? :)

goldenboy

Scooby
Alright, I've got some early entries already. This is gonna be a good show. I can feel it.

Edit:

Here's a pretend example of an entry, if there's any confusion at this point.

Jo Chen
"Giles and Faith"
acrylic on board
9 inches x 13 inches
I just googled "picture frame" and found lots of good raw material to build the border.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Now wouldn't that be sweet...Jo Chen makes a submission to GB's gallery...maybe you should send out the invites GB :)

goldenboy

Scooby
OK, just tossing out a friendly reminder. Since (depending on where you are) it is or soon will be the weekend, and maybe you'll be wanting something to do...how about art making? C'mon, you know it's fun. Due date is next Thursday, the 31st.

Top Bottom