• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

News Rebooting "Buffy" without Joss is "Ridiculous" -Marti Noxon

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
There was talk at one point about perhaps launching a movie without Joss's involvement.

That was ridiculous. [Laughs] That was ridiculous. I think that notion was so quickly"¦ I think that was probably some kind of muscle to try to get Joss to commit to something. That was my suspicion, that they were sort of playing a game to move the project forward. Because nobody wants that to happen.
Exclusive: Marti Noxon on the Future of 'Buffy' - FEARnet

white avenger

white avenger
There may come a day when the Buffy franchise can be rebooted, much the same way that "Star Trek" and "James Bond," with relative success, and "Tarzan," with disastrous results, have been, but I think that it will be far enough in the future that the fans will be able to accept the fact that the original stars WILL not, for career reasons, and CAN not, for reasons of age or whatever, recreate their particular roles. Without the "real" characters, a reboot would by then be acceptable. As of right now, about the best that we could hope for would be some sort of spin off ("Slayer: The Next Generation," wouldn't be too hard to accept, or maybe "The Rogue Demon Hunter Diaries") hopefully with Joss as Executive Producer or Creative Consultant and writer/director of occasional scripts or story arcs.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
For me, though, it's not about having the same actors. They're all so old now that there's no possible way we could get them back (well, not the ones who play vampires anyway!), but that's ok. For me, it's about making sure they don't turn it into trash. They need to keep the lore intact and not try to change everything. Also, if it's revamped (no pun intended), it does not need to be called BUFFY the Vampire Slayer because obviously that would be weird.

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
For me its all about the actors. Ok so they are older now and the realism of the show might be affected but it really wouldn't bother me. With the technology available today they could be made to look younger and like i said in another thread i resonant the character's with the actor's.

No one else could play Spike other than James Marsters for instance, it just wouldn't work.

Anya2012
Anya2012
Totally agree. Can't see anyone playing the characters we know and love.
S
soulunsung
I definitely agree. I could not see anyone else as Buffy, Willow, Xander, Spike, or hell even Angel for that matter.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
No one else could play Spike other than James Marsters for instance, it just wouldn't work.

For you that is.

For a franchise to last it's not only about the approval of the old fans it also need to attract new fans. If the concept is good and it's handled well a lot of people wouldn't care if it was the same actors as before or not. Maybe they'll lose some fans along the way but they might gain even more new ones. Is it Buffy and the other characters we like or the actors? To me it's a mix. An actor gives a character life so seeing someone new would for me feel weird at first but I'm not going to be stubborn enough not to even give them a chance.

I watched the last two Terminator movies and The Sarah Connor cronicles even if John Connor wasn't played by the same actor. Christian Bale is a huge success even if he's very far from the first Batman.

Yes, having "your" characters being played by new actors takes some getting used to but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. No matter if your personal opinion is that it's bad or good. I for one can't imagine them making a Friends movie without the original cast but that doesn't mean that it'll never happen.

Flannen
Flannen
[No message]
T
Tsquared
[No message]
HisMrs
HisMrs
[No message]
S
soulunsung
So, we're just going to toss away some of the old fans to make room for new ones?! Brilliant.

GrrArghx

No touching my clipboard!
I've said this before and I'll say it again: I couldn't care less unless it was canon and I doubt it would be without Joss.

It would have the same affect on me that the original movie does... which is nothing, lol.

Flannen

Flannix
I'm not really surprised that she feels that way considering she was part of the team that helped to build it in the first place lol

Unfortunately I think people immediately jump to the negative stand point with things like this. There is nothing to suggest that a new team would 'turn it into trash' nor change anything. As Washburne said, many of the remakes like Batman, have been amazing if not better than they were originally.

But as fans, we want to keep things as our own but the more I think about it the more I think it could be a detriment to ourselves. For a long time I refused to watch the latest season of One Tree Hill because my two favourite characters left. I kept up with storylines and such but never watched it. For some reason I decided to and was so glad that I did because it was so much better than I thought it would be. Learning from that will encourage me not to take such liberties with other things, such as the possibility of a Buffy remake.

Washburne
Washburne
[No message]
Akitta21
Akitta21
[No message]

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
For you that is.

For a franchise to last it's not only about the approval of the old fans it also need to attract new fans. If the concept is good and it's handled well a lot of people wouldn't care if it was the same actors as before or not. Maybe they'll lose some fans along the way but they might gain even more new ones. Is it Buffy and the other characters we like or the actors? To me it's a mix. An actor gives a character life so seeing someone new would for me feel weird at first but I'm not going to be stubborn enough not to even give them a chance.

I watched the last two Terminator movies and The Sarah Connor cronicles even if John Connor wasn't played by the same actor. Christian Bale is a huge success even if he's very far from the first Batman.

Yes, having "your" characters being played by new actors takes some getting used to but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. No matter if your personal opinion is that it's bad or good. I for one can't imagine them making a Friends movie without the original cast but that doesn't mean that it'll never happen.

I take your point about my opinion that Spike can only be portrayed by James isn't shared by everyone but i don't think i'am the only one who thinks that.

Of course over time someone new could come in and do a good job but i couldn't imagine him as Spike, that is just my opinion however.

It is hard for me to be objective on this matter because i think Buffy is a show where the actors are integral.

Someone made an interesting point about how she could envisage hearing loads of different voices come out of Batman's mouth but when it came to Buffy only SMG's voice sounded right.

For the old fans i'd argue whether that affection for characters would translate over to new actors playing the roles that were played so expertly by the old cast?

Would a new actor playing Spike be able to stamp his authority on the role like James did? The answer to this is probably yes but it would be different nonetheless and so unSpike like if you know what i mean.

I'am someone who would struggle to gain the same enjoyment from a Buffy project that didn't contain the original cast.

Other people who don't place such a high emphasis on the actors in the original show might be able to welcome a new cast, it comes down to why you liked the show.

For me a major part of why i loved the show was because of the actors.

S
Spikefan31
I agree about James Marsters. I can't see anyone else as Spike.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Someone made an interesting point about how she could envisage hearing loads of different voices come out of Batman's mouth but when it came to Buffy only SMG's voice sounded right.
I wonder how many voices of Batman and Buffy this person had heard when pointing it out. Of course it feels wrong to hear a character with a different voice if you've only heard one. Maybe this person have seen the short Buffy cartoon but other than that what is there to compare with?

I'am someone who would struggle to gain the same enjoyment from a Buffy project that didn't contain the original cast.
That's because you've already made up your mind. It need to be amazing to make you change your mind. Since you've already decided that different = bad.

Other people who don't place such a high emphasis on the actors in the original show might be able to welcome a new cast, it comes down to why you liked the show.
Accepting and welcoming isn't the same thing. I'm not standing here overjoyed that there might be a new Buffy. I am however willing to give it a chance. And I would definitely be willing to give it a chance if Joss was behind it.

I know we disagree on this Dan and we have been all along. You're seeing it in a selfish way (if it isn't as you want it it's bad) and you're totally entitled to that. If nothing else it's understandable. I'm only trying to give another perspective.

Connor Holtz
Connor Holtz
I agree with you but technically there was 2 Buffy's. Kristy Swanson and SMG ;)

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
I wonder how many voices of Batman and Buffy this person had heard when pointing it out. Of course it feels wrong to hear a character with a different voice if you've only heard one. Maybe this person have seen the short Buffy cartoon but other than that what is there to compare with?

That's because you've already made up your mind. It need to be amazing to make you change your mind. Since you've already decided that different = bad.

Accepting and welcoming isn't the same thing. I'm not standing here overjoyed that there might be a new Buffy. I am however willing to give it a chance. And I would definitely be willing to give it a chance if Joss was behind it.

I know we disagree on this Dan and we have been all along. You're seeing it in a selfish way (if it isn't as you want it it's bad) and you're totally entitled to that. If nothing else it's understandable. I'm only trying to give another perspective.

Apologies if it seems i am not taking your perspective into account, i'am just trying to reinforce why i'd struggle with a new concept.

I'am in agreement that my outlook is selfish but that's just me reflecting on what was so good about the show and how hard it would be to accept something different.

I completely understand that others would be able to accept the changes and you never know a new project with new people might capture my imagination in the future.

At the moment however the thought of it saddens me. No one is right or wrong at the end of the day it just comes down to what your willing to accept.

As long as the old cast are alive and not ancient in terms of age which none of them are then i will champion a new project involving them.

An interesting point for me though is whether your with me in prefering the old cast returning in favour of a new cast?

Would it bother you sufficiently that James and David might look a little older then they should? Or are you like me in wanting them back even though it might affect the realism of the show slightly. I say slightly because even though they are older techology could still make them look younger.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
An interesting point for me though is whether your with me in prefering the old cast returning in favour of a new cast?

Would I prefer the old cast before a new one? 99,9% yes. It just won't happen at this time though.

The real question for me would be which I prefer, Joss involved and a totally new cast or no Joss involvment what so ever but with the old cast? To be honest I'd probably go with the cast even if there's no doubt to me that Joss being involved would be the "right" option of the two. I would however give both a chance if it came to it.

I'm in no way saying that a new cast would do it better than the old cast. To me it just isn't the same as the new cast doing a bad job. I'll judge a new movie after I've watched it. Not before. Will it be the same as the show? No but I can't imagine it being the point.

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
Would I prefer the old cast before a new one? 99,9% yes. It just won't happen at this time though.

The real question for me would be which I prefer, Joss involved and a totally new cast or no Joss involvment what so ever but with the old cast? To be honest I'd probably go with the cast even if there's no doubt to me that Joss being involved would be the "right" option of the two. I would however give both a chance if it came to it.

I'm in no way saying that a new cast would do it better than the old cast. To me it just isn't the same as the new cast doing a bad job. I'll judge a new movie after I've watched it. Not before. Will it be the same as the show? No but I can't imagine it being the point.

I'd struggle to not compare the show and the new project. I think its just natural that comparisons will be made.

Seeing the new cast, however good they might be i'd struggle to not think about the old cast.

I'am such a big fan of the show that i'll always be a supporter of that show, that cast, those episodes.

I think your saying judge a potential new project on its merits which on reflection is logical enough yet like i mentioned above its hard to do because of how successful and brillant the show was.

But i respect your opinion and definately understand where your coming from as i think you do with me. Its just a wait and see thing now i guess. :smile3:

Cohen

Hellhound
Sarah Michelle Gellar took the role of Buffy to different places than Kristy Swanson or Giselle Loren (who voiced her in the animated trailer and the video games). But I do think that if there were actors who were able to take on the same mannerisms and voice inflections of the original cast, then it wouldn't be too bad. Giselle never really got the Buffy voice, and I was constantly fighting with what I was hearing. Even when reading the comics or books, I can hear it in my head the way the cast would say the dialogue. It's all about how they created their characters. The actors are in effect the essence of the characters.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Dan: I'm confident we see each others points even if we don't see things the same way.

I hope you didn't take the "selfish" comment the wrong way. I didn't mean it in an offensive way but I guess it could have sounded that way. I'm sure been down that road myself and still am in many ways. I'm trying to change though. You can miss out on so many good things otherwise. It wasn't easy when my favourite band got a new singer. But guess what? It didn't sound the same but I still liked it even if I still prefer the old singer. ;)

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
Of course, we as fans of the original series, hold a soft spot in our heart for the original actors. Hello, I doubt there would be anyone that could play Xander as well as Nicholas Brendon, or Giles as well as ASH- for me.
The cold, hard fact is that the series is old now; it began in 1997 and ended in 2003, and it's now 7 years after the series ended. If anyone ends up doing a remake, it's a whole new generation of people who will see it, and most of them probably won't know anyone in the original cast aside from SMG, and maybe Alyson Hannigan and David Boreanaz, and even if they do, they're probably not going to be bothered that it's new people in the roles the way we would be.
While I LOVE the actors who were on the show, I also love the characters. I don't want to see a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" without Xander, Willow, or Giles. To me, they are an essential part of the Buffyverse and were much better characters than, say, Pike from the original movie. But for me, Buffy isn't Buffy if she's racing around LA or New York with some dude named Todd and her trusty sidekick Stake, the psychokenetic dog.

Tome
Tome
Lol at the dog
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
I sort of agree about the dog, what would change my view might be the dogs name. It isn't K-9 is it?

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
But for me, Buffy isn't Buffy if she's racing around LA or New York with some dude named Todd and her trusty sidekick Stake, the psychokenetic dog.

It might not be "our" Buffy but I'm now interested. :p

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Connor Holtz said:
technically there was 2 Buffy's. Kristy Swanson and SMG ;)

True. My bad. I'm too used to talking to Dan about the original cast and he doesn't count the first movie. Or at least didn't. I don't remember if I managed to get him to use a different phrase. And he's not alone. Not a reason for me to forget her though.

Cohen

Hellhound
True. My bad. I'm too used to talking to Dan about the original cast and he doesn't count the first movie. Or at least didn't. I don't remember if I managed to get him to use a different phrase. And he's not alone. Not a reason for me to forget her though.

It should count. It's semi-canon. The main plot is all there in the show. Just not the specific details. Kristy WAS a buffy. Not THE buffy, but A buffy nonetheless.

Washburne
Washburne
It's not me you need to convince. ;)

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I think the most important part is Joss... If there was new actors for most of the roles but we still had Joss, he'd still do something great. Without him, i'm not sure. I'd probably watch it to make my mind first :p

Top Bottom