• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rebuilding Coral Reefs with Lego

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Scientists in Singapore are using LEGO bricks to rebuild coral reefs in an urgent scientific experiment.

The innovative approach aims to revitalise and restore Singapore’s coral populations after years of damage from land reclamation, coastal developments, and ship activity. A group of scientists from the National University of Singapore’s Tropical Marine Science Institute had the creative idea to use LEGO bricks to rebuild the underwater landscape and support the life there.
Scientists are using LEGO bricks to rebuild coral reefs

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Possibly not if they are covered in a thick layer of Coral?

@nightshade - Do LEGO do a 'Coral Reef set'?

Do you already have it? (Or just enough bricks to build one :D )

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Not yet. They've recently done a botanical range, so reef could well be the next step.

I don't actually have many loose bricks, mine are all sets.

Last Watcher
Last Watcher
Yay! A little LEGO Nemo to float above the reef :)

Stake fodder

Soulless
Sounds crazy, but if it works, why not? Only, it will take a long time to build something big enough out of those tiny bricks. I would hate to be the intern who has to do that job.

TriBel

Scooby
I don't actually have many loose bricks, mine are all sets.
I gave all the kids Lego away about twenty years ago. I could cry. There was an airport, fire-station, hospital and police station; an electric train-set with about 3 different trains plus stations etc. There was Space Lego and Lego Technic. I could have rebuilt the Great Barrier Reef and had enough left over for a small house. :mad: Sometimes I hate myself...

Priceless

Scooby
My friend Vicky loves lego, her last build was The Colosseum. She has two young sons and she won't let them near her lego. She says building relaxes her.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
I gave all the kids Lego away about twenty years ago. I could cry. There was an airport, fire-station, hospital and police station; an electric train-set with about 3 different trains plus stations etc. There was Space Lego and Lego Technic. I could have rebuilt the Great Barrier Reef and had enough left over for a small house. :mad: Sometimes I hate myself...
I won't tell you that those would have sold well then!

The Colosseum is a great set, sadly I don't have the space (or money) for the big sets.

Lego bricks are very hardwearing though, so I wonder if in the future they will find a way of removing them from the new reef.

TriBel

Scooby
She has two young sons and she won't let them near her lego
Argh! Mine used to drive me mad by putting the wrong heads on the wrong bodies. It disturbed my need for order.
I won't tell you that those would have sold well then!
I know. Honestly, there was a 3x2x2 plastic storage box full of the damned stuff. It's not just what I could have got for it - it's the cost of replacing it. I think the airport was £30+ 30 years ago. I've toyed with the idea of buying more but it's space. Someone's designed a "Queen at Live Aid" set. I want that.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Hopefully they can rebuild coral reefs quicker than the Chinese are destroying them.

Top Bottom