• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Recommended Buffyverse Podcasts 2

Mylie

Scooby
Thanks @ElectricFishes for your explanation post!

I don't know Lani as much as you do. All I know is what I got from her episodes on Dusted (still at season 2 of BtVS and I listened to almost all of their AtS s1 episodes) and Still Pretty (Lessons and Beneath You). I had to stop listening to Still Pretty when she decided to bash Angel out of nowhere during her Beneath You episode. It felt childish, gratuitous and frustrated me a great deal. So I desperately want to listen (and enjoy) her new AtS podcast but having listened to that Still Pretty episode only 2 weeks ago, I do have my reservations. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt but because of that experience, I wouldn't put it past her to do this kind of stuff again. And that would turn me off for good.

I think she's been great so far at analyzing AtS. I do get from her that she does appreciate Angel and she loved IWRY. Her Dusted episode of it is actually the only episode covering IWRY that did it justice. I'm also intrigued to see how much she'll change her mind on the episodes she's already covered.

K
katmobile
I've just listen to Beneath You and all she says is a voluntary ensouled vamp is better than that isnt. It's a throwaway remark that could be interpreted as more capacity for self forfillment. Thank you for the awareness that a Still Pretty s7 exists

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
One can always listen to old school ones like the 'Hellmouth Podcast' and it's corresponding 'Investigating Angel' one. It's also very analytical but I don't remember much character bias. Maybe from guests but it's been forever since I've listened to them.

And again there there is PotentialCast and it's corresponding 'RedemptionCast' (done by a huge Angel fan). But I don't know if they ever finished the latter one.

Mylie

Scooby
One can always listen to old school ones like the 'Hellmouth Podcast' and it's corresponding 'Investigating Angel' one. It's also very analytical but I don't remember much character bias. Maybe from guests but it's been forever since I've listened to them.

And again there there is PotentialCast and it's corresponding 'RedemptionCast' (done by a huge Angel fan). But I don't know if they ever finished the latter one.
I've never heard of them but I'll try to check them out soon. Thanks!

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
I've never heard of them but I'll try to check them out soon. Thanks!
Hellmouth Podcast also spawned the 'Buffy Between The Lines' and 'Angel Between The Lines' with podcasters (I think) acting as characters of the show. It's basically like an actual episode of either show, complete with provided script for you to read. Those things are old though you can still find them online. Between The Lines should still have their own website up.

I just checked the BB Radio list, and I can't believe no one has recommended Buffering the Vampire Slayer yet!!! It's an amazing podcast hosted by two women who analyze Buffy from an explicitly queer perspective. They're really fun and goofy most of the time, but know how to bring the serious when it counts. One of them (Kristin Russo) is a writer and LGBTQIA activist, and the other (Jenny Owen Youngs) is a super talented musician. Each episode has an original song about the episode at the end that they write together and then Jenny records and produces.

Also, big apology + thank you to the mod who edited my original post in the previous thread. I'm used to online spaces where profanity is okay, and it literally didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't be okay to use the f-word as a synonym for "very" (as in "that story element is so very cool") here as well.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I listened to a couple of episodes and didn't care for it.

Mylie

Scooby
I just checked the BB Radio list, and I can't believe no one has recommended Buffering the Vampire Slayer yet!!! It's an amazing podcast hosted by two women who analyze Buffy from an explicitly queer perspective. They're really fun and goofy most of the time, but know how to bring the serious when it counts. One of them (Kristin Russo) is a writer and LGBTQIA activist, and the other (Jenny Owen Youngs) is a super talented musician. Each episode has an original song about the episode at the end that they write together and then Jenny records and produces.

Also, big apology + thank you to the mod who edited my original post in the previous thread. I'm used to online spaces where profanity is okay, and it literally didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't be okay to use the f-word as a synonym for "very" (as in "that story element is so very cool") here as well.
That podcast is very popular here. If you haven't seen it mentioned in this thread it's probably because this is the 2nd Recommended Buffyverse Podcasts thread. But don't worry, it was discussed plenty in the first thread. We're not sleeping on it! :)

Ah, it makes so much more sense that it just didn't get added to the radio list linked in the first post of this thread (which I did look through), not that it wasn't discussed in the previous thread (which I did not look through). I was very surprised.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Well, I was waiting to post until we had information on a new start date but I figure I'll share what I know now with you all. If you are a fan of Buffering podcast, they aren't going to be doing AtS on their podcast but they are teaming up to run parallel to a new Angel podcast called: Angel on Top. The hosts are Brittany Ashley (she was a guest on Buffering in Go Fish if you want to go check that episode out) and Laura Zak. Both Brittany and Laura Zak are finishing up a Daria podcast called Sicker Sadder World.

Angel on Top info I have:
Twitter: Angel On Top (@angelontopcast) | Twitter
Instagram: Angel on Top (@angelontopcast) • Instagram photos and videos

Once they start and I give them a listen I'll be back to give some feedback/reviews.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I want to recommend Slayerfest98, I've listened to a few episodes. They are really funny (sometimes rated R funny so you need to be ok with that kind of sense of humor) and have some good and insightful comments.

Specifically, even if you don't decide to listen to this podcast, I strongly recommend that everyone check out their episode with Jane Espenson here. She not only talks about Pangs and gives interesting behind the scene tidbits about it but she really shines some additional light on the writing process of Buffy and how Joss was so heavily involved. I enjoyed it!

DarklyDreamingDrusilla
DarklyDreamingDrusilla
I love their podcast!

Mylie

Scooby
I want to recommend Slayerfest98, I've listened to a few episodes. They are really funny (sometimes rated R funny so you need to be ok with that kind of sense of humor) and have some good and insightful comments.

Specifically, even if you don't decide to listen to this podcast, I strongly recommend that everyone check out their episode with Jane Espenson here. She not only talks about Pangs and gives interesting behind the scene tidbits about it but she really shines some additional light on the writing process of Buffy and how Joss was so heavily involved. I enjoyed it!
I’m listening to their first episode and I’m enjoying it a lot. They just spoiled Tara’s death though so definitely not a podcast for first time viewers, which I personally like because all podcasts I listen to are spoiler free so this is refreshing. I only hope they didn’t spoil it for anyone.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Oh yeah not spoiler free at all, I enjoy that.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
Just taking a peek at the episode titles and images has me intrigued haha

Mylie

Scooby
Just taking a peek at the episode titles and images has me intrigued haha
Yeah, I was very intrigued by "Angel, the original lesbian", but was a bit disappointed with the episode lol.

I'm still on season 1 and I'm not completely sold yet, but I've listened to New Moon Rising the other day and enjoyed it a lot. So I'm thinking they probably got better with time. I do like the hosts though, they're fun.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I feel like it's one of those that has some highs and lows. That's been my experience.
Reactions: Jam

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Lani's first episode of her 'Still Dead' podcast is available now.
[automerge]1525356664[/automerge]
Lani's first episode of her 'Still Angel' podcast is available now.
Thanks for the correction - I typed that when I was still half asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I believe it’s called “Still Dead” just so people search the right name :)

Mylie

Scooby
I listened to Still Dead's first episode and I enjoyed it a lot! Lani is such a great speaker, it really shows that she teaches for a living.

While I will always encourage people to watch the whole of AtS and I firmly believe that a show should be watched without skipping episodes, I can appreciate that the goal here is to make BtVS fans who've had a hard time getting into AtS be able to appreciate it. So I think this podcast could be something really great for the fandom and I'm hoping it will make people give the show a chance. This is probably made better for me because I know that we are also getting Angel on Top soon.

I love the segments, they have "perfect happiness" for things that they absolutely loved, "stakes" for things they'd "stake" as in get rid of, etc. Having a bit too many podcasts to listen to at the moment (because so many out there interest me), I'm kind of okay with them talking about multiple episodes (3 or 4). It can be a bit long when it's 1 episode per episode. It works well for some podcasts but since their goal seem to be to want to make people watch/enjoy the show, several episodes per week is the way to go I think, especially because some of those episodes are going to be labeled as "skippers".

Finally, I'm enjoying Lani's co-host a lot as well. She brings a more philosophical approach to the podcast.

Looking forward to listening to more of it!

Top Bottom