• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Remove or replace a cast member or character from BtVS/Ats

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
If you could remove one cast member and either replace them with someone new, OR remove their character all together and put another character in their place - what actor or character would it be?

(if you wouldn't change anything, that doesn't really need to be said, this is just a bit of fanfiction/head canon, however you wish to see it)

Basically, you could replace Charisma Carpenter and cast someone else as Cordelia.
Or you could replace Cordelia's character with whole other character.

Personally, I think I would re-cast Dawn. Michelle Trachtenberg does a fine job mostly, but I would have preferred a younger actress. Maybe someone like Britt Robertson, whose a couple of years younger than Michelle.
untitled.png
Or hey, BtVS already had Amy Adams on there…. perhaps they should've snapped up a young Jennifer Lawrence at this point.

In terms of a character I would replace… I'm torn between Andrew and Jenny's uncle. I like that Jenny isn't just some technopagan who happened to be there, but I wish the twist would've been performed better rather than having her uncle appear and tell the audience who she really is. What character would I replace him with though? That's harder, I don't mind the uncle angle per se, but maybe I would have had her have a friend in the faculty or in her pagan group, who could ask her "if they know who you are?" or something, and build up to the reveal.

What would be your picks?

W

WillowFromBuffy

I would have wanted David Bowie to play Dracula. Buffy's Dracula is a rip off of Jareth the Goblin King, anyway, plus he played a great vampire in Hunger, and his look at the time was super appropriate.

EcilaRetniw
EcilaRetniw
That would be amazing

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh that's an interesting pick. That would've made for a very cool, maybe a bit more gritty Dracula. When I first saw Hunger I was very unnerved by him.

NeonSlayer

Potential
Replace Cordelia with Mr Gordo. I would seriously have more enjoyment from Angel hanging out with a stuffed animal. I would rather he dabbled in being a furry than Cangel.

Maybe clients hold Mr Gordo for comfort when talking about their paranormal problems. Maybe Angel turns Mr Gordo around every time he drinks pig's blood. Maybe Mr Gordo is the only thing to survive the explosion of Angel's s1 place. Maybe Mr Gordo accompanies Connor to Quor'toth. Maybe an entity possesses Mr Gordo for an episode.

IMG_20181120_023249.jpg

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Thats so weird that I actually kinda like it 😅
GraceK
GraceK
Your hatred of Cordelia is like balm to my heart.

TriBel

Scooby
If you could remove one cast member and either replace them with someone new, OR remove their character all together and put another character in their place - what actor or character would it be?
I'd get Ezra Miller under contract and have him replace a different character each week.

Faith or Buffy

Drusilla

Spike

The permutations are endless (or zero - depending on how you look at it). It takes "queering" (in the umbrella sense of the term) to new levels. However, I draw the line at Miller replacing Mr Gordo - that would be wrong.

Taake
Taake
That would actually be a pretty cool concept. Even if Mr Gordo, surely, feels a bit left out of the arrangement.
GraceK
GraceK
He’d be a fantastic Cordelia
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
I would make Ezra play Andrew instead! Maybe he wouldn't be quite so irritating then.
W

WillowFromBuffy

"Do you love all of me, Ezra Miller ... even the parts you cannot see?"

"Eyeballs to entrails, Ezra Miller!"

"You can't kill me, Ezra Miller. You kill me, you become me."

"I already am you, Ezra Miller. Now, let's make out."

"Do you want me to lie to you now, Ezra Miller?"

"Yes, Ezra Miller."

"Don't you see, Ezra Miller? It is the man in me that needs killing."

"Then burn, Ezra Miller, but if you die now, all that you ever were was a monster."

Last edited by a moderator:
TriBel
TriBel
Write the fan fic. Credit me with the idea! :)
W

WillowFromBuffy

Gwen is a character I would be very happy not to see at all.

And the writers were fools to kill off Cordelia for Jasmine. They should have left Cordelia's character alone, let Gina Torres play Jasmine from the start and have Cordelia (and perhaps Harmony) be the only character to survive the show.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I would replace Andrew in the final season with Jonathan. I feel that Jonathan would have been a better addition, given his history with the Scoobies and the fact that he genuinely wanted to repent and make amends.

Over on AtS, I would once again replace Andrew with Xander in the episode Damage. I think it would have made more of an emotional impact to have Xander appear in that ep, someone who has a history with Angel and closer ties to Spike and even Wes.

Also regarding AtS, I would have much preferred Kate to stay on and fill the role that Justine eventually did (as was the original plan) as, once again, the emotional impact would have been that much greater.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Would you take out the lie about Buffy not trusting them because they worked at WR&H? Andrew was under Giles's tutelage and Giles was who didn't trust Angel & Spike.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Also regarding AtS, I would have much preferred Kate to stay on and fill the role that Justine eventually did (as was the original plan) as, once again, the emotional impact would have been that much greater.
I never knew that, that really could've been interesting. Maybe I would've actually liked Kate if she'd been given such an interesting arc.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I would replace Andrew in the final season with Jonathan. I feel that Jonathan would have been a better addition, given his history with the Scoobies and the fact that he genuinely wanted to repent and make amends.
I agree. Andrew works best when he shares scenes with Warren, hence why First!Warren was a good choice and funny to boot "Don't think about Babe". Even Warren needed the rest of the trio to jump off of. Jonathan can work alone and, as you say, has history with the scoobies.

I would get rid of Kennedy and replace her with...….nothing. I'd just get rid of Kennedy.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Oh, I would also replace Spike in the final season of AtS with Faith. She could have worked the same way Spike did, as a parallel for Angel's journey and showing how far he falls in the final season. I hated the way studio execs forced Spike onto AtS, he was such an unnecessary addition and it would have made more sense and been more organic to have Faith appear instead, especially since her redemption is so tied to Angel.

thetopher
thetopher
YEEESSS!! :)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Oh, I would also replace Spike in the final season of AtS with Faith. She could have worked the same way Spike did, as a parallel for Angel's journey and showing how far he falls in the final season. I hated the way studio execs forced Spike onto AtS, he was such an unnecessary addition and it would have made more sense and been more organic to have Faith appear instead, especially since her redemption is so tied to Angel.
I didn't mind Spike being back because I was sad when he died so it made me happy for him to be alive again. However, I would've preferred him not to get a soul at all. Not just because I think evil Spike pre-Spuffy is the best, but also because given what we were told of the soul through Angel (that it is the worst punishment possible for a vampire), the fact Spike inflicts that on himself willing and it's played a romantic gesture just doesn't sit right with me.

Though I can see merit in having Faith, I just find her to be an overrated character. In Season 3, she works well as a contrast to Kendra and shows why it's important for Buffy to keep a balance instead of being to by the book (Kendra) or to blasé (Faith) about her slayer duties. However, I think Buffy needed to kill Faith at during Season 4.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
NeonSlayer Would you take out the lie about Buffy not trusting them because they worked at WR&H? Andrew was under Giles's tutelage and Giles was who didn't trust Angel & Spike.

No, I would keep in that lie, I think it would be much more powerful coming from Xander, someone who has never fully trusted Angel and who would definitely back Giles' opinion.

NeonSlayer

Potential
Gwen is a character I would be very happy not to see at all.

And the writers were fools to kill off Cordelia for Jasmine. They should have left Cordelia's character alone, let Gina Torres play Jasmine from the start and have Cordelia (and perhaps Harmony) be the only character to survive the show.
AtS is Angel's show. He's the title character. Having only Cordelia & Harmony survive would be like if on BtVS only Xander & Kennedy survived. Or if Spike survived BtVS while Buffy perished.

Cordelia wasn't killed off for Jasmine. They planned on Cordelia being the s4 villain and Angel killing her in that finale. It was changed to possession & coma because CC told them late that she was pregnant. The original arc didn't have a Jasmine. And in canon, if it wasn't for Jasmine, Cordelia would've died in mid s3, still from ending up in a coma because she didn't get rid of the visions.

Last edited:
W

WillowFromBuffy

AtS is Angel's show. He's the title character. Having only Cordelia & Harmony survive would be like if on BtVS only Xander & Kennedy survived. Or if Spike survived BtVS while Buffy perished.
I want Cordelia to be the Horatio to Angel's Hamlet. 'Tis not that unusual.

Dora

Scooby
Spike....... it we could not get Cordelia back , I would replace him with a waste paper bin

K
katmobile
If you couldn't get any other character back you'd replace him with a bin. Change the record sweetie it's getting boring.

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
I would not bring back Lindsey in S5 of ATS if he would not have choose the right path or I want that he comes back in S5 as a good guy.

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would not bring back Lindsey in S5 of ATS if he would not have choose the right path or I want that he comes back in S5 as a good guy.
Interesting, so season 5 would've been Lindsey's redemption arc? Could've been interesting to have a former W&H:er also turning against them. Would you have wanted him to survive at the end, or maybe still die but just in the battle, not by gunshot?

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
Interesting, so season 5 would've been Lindsey's redemption arc? Could've been interesting to have a former W&H:er also turning against them. Would you have wanted him to survive at the end, or maybe still die but just in the battle, not by gunshot?
I don't know but I want him to choose the right path after what happened in Dead End. Not come back bad, jealous and whiny towards Angel because Angel is now in S5 director in Wolfram & Hart. Lindsey has got fed up to W&H so he left so why is he jealous of Angel in S5 ?

K
katmobile
I do enjoy Lindsay as a villian and I think it valid that not everyone is redeamed or redeamable and Angel missed chances but yeah Lindsay's redemption arc could have been interesting.
Top Bottom