• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Remove or replace a cast member or character from BtVS/Ats

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think Cordelia was perfectly cast, but if I knew she would be playing the role for a decade, I would have cast a much younger actress. That way, you don't have a thirty-one year old actress pretending to be 21, you don't have Fred or Faith looking younger but playing the same age issues, and you don't have a 30 year old actress trying to have a child while working 18 hour days. Again, I like Charisma, I don't even think a younger actress could play the role as well as she could in high school, but you can't play a teenager forever.

Spike was good in A 5, but I agree, Faith would have been better.

There is a parody called "Muffy the Vampire Slayer." It features a very young Alison Brie and a very young Jennifer Lawrence. It exists... It's not very good.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Fred was 27+ since she was in grad school when she went through the portal and was in Pylea 5 years. So she was supposed to be 7+ years older than Cordelia.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Riley needs to be replaced by someone who acts like an elite soldier or the characters should have been ROTP trainees. Marc Blucas is at his limit of acting ability standing on his marks and reciting his lines. But the entire character and that of the initiative should have been rewritten. He should have been a soldier in the ROTP (Regular Officer Training Plan), not some elite soldier. Elite soldiers are older, they look older and they have a haunted look from all the things they have seen and done and a thousand-yard stare when they are not looking at anything in particular. Universities have a number of ROTP students so something like the Initiative would not have to be as hidden as it was. There would never be a story where he would strike a commanding officer then end up anywhere other than Leavenworth, let along recruited back into the fold as if the military was some sort of bromance. And the underground bunker would not be secret because someone would have remembered it being built and there would have been an accounting for its cost.

K
katmobile
Passion of the Nerd has mooted the idea that season four could have been better if Xander had been Buffy's intial contact in the Initiative.

Dora

Scooby
Oh, I would also replace Spike in the final season of AtS with Faith. She could have worked the same way Spike did, as a parallel for Angel's journey and showing how far he falls in the final season. I hated the way studio execs forced Spike onto AtS, he was such an unnecessary addition and it would have made more sense and been more organic to have Faith appear instead, especially since her redemption is so tied to Angel.
I read along time ago the autobiography of the station and they state that a guy with a surname of Levins wanted a female to come over from Buffy, preferable Willow because she had been so good previously , as there was to many males in the cast and they wanted it balanced out more
The autobiography said that Whedon who insisted on Spike and that fans would not notice the male/ female balance if they put Amy Acker in a very short skirt

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I wish I was skeptical of the claim of what Whedon said, but I find it all too believable.
W

WillowFromBuffy

Oh, I would also replace Spike in the final season of AtS with Faith. She could have worked the same way Spike did, as a parallel for Angel's journey and showing how far he falls in the final season. I hated the way studio execs forced Spike onto AtS, he was such an unnecessary addition and it would have made more sense and been more organic to have Faith appear instead, especially since her redemption is so tied to Angel.
I think that could have been great, but you would have to turn things on its head, because whereas Spike grows towards Angel, Faith would have to grow away from Angel, before they reconcile after Angel reveals his plan for the Black Thorn. She feels so indebted to him after she breaks out of prison that you would have to create some tension between them to keep her from being the yes-man Spike is in S7 of Buffy. Faith betraying Angel's wish to let WRH rehabilitate Dana would have been great.

I would love to see Faith's last night on Earth in NFA. I wonder what she would do.

nightshade

I don't understand your definition of good news
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would take Wood out of season 7, as much as I want to drop all the potentials at least they were important to the main plot, Wood's story could easily be removed to make more room for the core four. The shadow men box could still have been brought in via Giles or even one of the potentials.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
good idea

DagonSphere

Potential
I would have cut the nerds from the final two seasons or just had Warren as a two-episode guest star. They didn't really add anything to the show.

A character that I would recast would be Ben. Charlie Weber is great in HTGAWM, but in Buffy he put me to sleep.
Also, generally, I would have put any POC actors into the show.

Meliza

Scooby
Recast Felicia Day as Winfred Burkle, who auditioned for the role.

Rewrite the character to have actual flaws and not be a Mary Sue. Her awkwardness or shyness or trauma were never proper flaws its just there goes Fred being adorkabke, it grated.

Recast Dawn as blonde or go completely other direction with very raven haired actress who looks nothing like Buffy to be cheeky about her adoptedness before its revealed.

DayDreamer27

Potential
Spike!!!!!!
He'd instantly be erased. Again, he ruined seasons 5-7 for me. Classic example of a writer's pet character that gets preferential treatment & is constantly shoved in your face every second. Especially when they shoe-horned him into AtS and had him showing up Angel on his own show. Like I say, after season 4, we got the Spike & Spuffy show. And since I don't like either of those things, I figure the show was no longer for me, far as creators were concerned. Same thing when they put him in the last season of AtS.

Then I would remove Cordy from Angel. Just don't like her character.

C
CHK DeWilSon
Completely agree about Spike although I feel more so about it for 6 & 7 because they decided to put Buffy in another yet similar entanglement with another vampire.

And the ONLY way that it would work is that Buffy died. And came back feeling wrong.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike!!!!!!
He'd instantly be erased. Again, he ruined seasons 5-7 for me. Classic example of a writer's pet character that gets preferential treatment & is constantly shoved in your face every second. Especially when they shoe-horned him into AtS and had him showing up Angel on his own show. Like I say, after season 4, we got the Spike & Spuffy show. And since I don't like either of those things, I figure the show was no longer for me, far as creators were concerned. Same thing when they put him in the last season of AtS.

Then I would remove Cordy from Angel. Just don't like her character.
For me it was Spuffy that ruined Spike and Seasons 5-7 rather than Spike the character himself. There were other ways they could've used him but the writers had Spuffy dominate the show.

I think I read somewhere that Spike's inclusion was the only reason Angel got a Season 5 hence why it was so heavily promoted even though it was supposed to be a surprise. Angel didn't get a Season 6 because Whedon was pushing for an early renewal.

As for Cordy, she's fine in Season's 1-2 but after that she's not really Cordy anymore.

BattleofDuty

Townie
EvilCordy in Season 4 with Kate or Anne. I know it sounds wrong... but since they were part of the S2 Angel adventures... I would rather have a character who had interactions with Angel to mess with him... so that in the reveal at the end of Orpheus, it feels like a "what the?" moment.

Maybe keep Gwen to provide the team in S4 a Faith role... maybe have her killed off by EvilCordy in Inside Out or Jasmine during her arc, then possibly replace Harmony with Faith in S5...

Meliza

Scooby
Best thing for the show would be to jettison the love triangle.

Develop Wesley and Lilah. Their dynamic was you know, dynamic, far from his neverending pinning with Fred. His attempt to save Lilah from W&h was moving, those two developed more have just as much pathos as Wes/Illyria so the show could keep that dynamic arc of love found and lost.

Gun and Anne. Develop them, keep Anne around from her first appearance in S3.

Or Gunn and Cordelia, who have a fun My Girl Friday bickering vibe. Saves us from Cordy/Angel

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
Yes to this.

It'll be of no surprise to anyone on here that I don't like Spike. And it is mostly to do with everything with Buffy.

I have other reasons for wishing that he hasn't been in the final series of ATS.

Don't get me wrong, some of it was quite enjoyable to watch. I loved puppet Angel trying to batter Spike. 😁
But with the inclusion of Spike onto the show the inevitable was going to happen and their 'relationships with Buffy was going to be a major thing between for most of the last season. And I didn't want to see Angel acting like a pubescent boy arguing who was the better one for Buffy in the most basic and childish ways. 🙄

And they couldn't have written it any other way with the kind of vamp/person who Spike is and the way he and Angel pretty much bringing out the worse in each other.

On the other hand, Faith with their history would have been an interesting addition that I think would have worked just as well because it's not like we would have missed something that we never got to see (with Spike being tbere).

Also I would have loved to have seen Oz in the show like he might have been if they had been cancelled.

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
Harmony in ATS S5 with Gwen, now let's be clear I don't have anything against Harmony except I don't love her that much but I would have loved to see more of Gwen raiden, that's all. I would have also loved Gunn & Gwen together.

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Harmony in ATS S5 with Gwen, now let's be clear I don't have anything against Harmony except I don't love her that much but I would have loved to see more of Gwen raiden, that's all. I would have also loved Gunn & Gwen together.
Now I’m more of Gwen/Angel kind of gal, but in season 5 it could’ve been great to have Gwen there and a deepet romance with her would’ve served Gunn’s character well then I think. She would’ve reminded him that he was worthwhile without the fancy lawyer add-ons.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I hate to pile on Spike but I agree with removing him at some point from BtVS. Every rewatch of S6-S7 gets harder and harder for me, and it's because everything seems to have to involve Spike in some way or another and I just get so sick and tired of him. It's over-saturation. I want to yell "enough already" and make him disappear. I can't add anything new to the many criticisms of Spike and Spuffy that we have all heard many times before, but I agree with others above that it would have been best if at some point we could have lost Spike entirely and increased the amount of time Faith was on either show as compensation. That would have been a trade I would have eagerly encouraged.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I hate to pile on Spike but I agree with removing him at some point from BtVS. Every rewatch of S6-S7 gets harder and harder for me, and it's because everything seems to have to involve Spike in some way or another and I just get so sick and tired of him. It's over-saturation. I want to yell "enough already" and make him disappear. I can't add anything new to the many criticisms of Spike and Spuffy that we have all heard many times before, but I agree with others above that it would have been best if at some point we could have lost Spike entirely and increased the amount of time Faith was on either show as compensation. That would have been a trade I would have eagerly encouraged.
I see the problem being less about Spike himself as a character, and more about the fact that Spuffy took over the show and that became his sole storyline from Season 5 onwards.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I see the problem being less about Spike himself as a character, and more about the fact that Spuffy took over the show and that became his sole storyline from Season 5 onwards.
I agree I guess, Spuffy is more specific. Without Spuffy though I don't see a major role for Spike anymore. He would go back to being an occasional recuring villain. I would definitely be okay with that, but many Spike fans would want more.

Top Bottom