• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Reviving The RP?

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I believe she still free. Glad my ex- g is here :)

Allie

Helping the Helpless
Sineya
Yeah, I can do either Dawn or Faith whichever is needed. I will just say I claim one of them, and if anyone wants either one just post and I will take the other. They are both awesome and I will be happy with either!

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
I'm starting to bring some ideas together about what could happen to set things in motion, the heart of the plot and so forth, but I'll need another week or so to get all my thoughts collected (their tricksy little things...).
Feel free to run any ideas by any of us if you need a hand with something.

thetopher
thetopher
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
To quote myself:

@thetopher - Faith or possibly Giles depending on what type/style of RP we all decide on.
@ChaseRules- the mysterious Ghost!Tara Maclay. What's her deal?
@Riderofapocalypse - Andrew Wells, Sunnydale's very own storyteller.
@Allie
@Jules
@HowiMetdaSlayer (possibly..?)
@Buffy Summers (willing to step into the breach and be somebody if needed. :))
Update:
@HowiMetdaSlayer - Willow the used-to-be-White Wicca (as in Galdalf...)
@Allie - Dawn. Is that okay? Most of the others are taken already.
@thetopher - Faith (I considered Giles but we do need a slayer, unless anyone would rather be 'a slayer', then I'll be Giles.)
@Jules - ?

Everyone think 6 is enough? (if Jules is still up, if not that's fine)

Next up we'll talk about mechanics (ooh, I know, sexy right?), as in 'the possible ways we could do this:'

thetopher

Sineya
Possibility 1)
A basic narrative free-for-all in that the posters take turns describing their actions from the characters POV and the plot just rolls forward from.
Very simple example:
(Person playing Willow): 'I enter the old house, the wooden porch creeks under my feet and the rusted hinges of the front door groan loudly as I step into the hallway. It smells so dank and musty that I think I might sneeze.
taking over (Person playing Xander): I turn on my flashlight (preperedness for the win!) and shine it over Willow's shoulder to see what's what. The light shows peeling wallpaper like I always see at grandma's old house, and couple of black and white photo's of some sort of family gathering and... a demon! A little scuttley thing by one of the inside doors. I shout a warning in a not at all girly manner.
taking over (person playing Buffy) Acting quickly I vault up to the porch with my slayer-moves and tell Xander to get out of the way. I get ready to aim my crossbow. Scuttley things don't get the benefit of any doubt, just pointy flying death!
taking over (person playing Willow) Eek! Why did I even go first! I run further into the hall in a panic and barge through the door opposite where the slimy winged demon is sitting. The door crashes open and I fall to the floor. I also sneeze.
taking over (person playing Xander) I look on in a mix of hooror and geek-fascination as the winged demon screeches and takes to the air in the hallway, hissing horribly 'I...I think it's Salacious Crumb!' I dimly wonder if George Lucas secrely employs demons instead of using FX. The horror of the fact that Jar-Jar might be a demon species...
taking over (person playing Buffy) I push Xander out of the way since he's frozen in...I'm gonna say horror, and aim the crossbow one handed. I fire but I don't have a clean shot so I just about miss. Sucks. The green demony thing flies off towards the back of the house...

And so it goes on.
Good points: Everyone gets equal participation (usually means equal fun) and the plot can pretty much go anywhere because its not predictable, its collaborative. This is what the last 'Separated' thread was, pretty much.
Bad points: It can stall, go in circles, or go back and forth depending on who posts what and when. There's little forward momentum so posters can get a bit bored (depending on what they're expecting) and give up.

One person acts as mod and back-up character who sets up the game-play and everyone else acts in-character, describing what their doing/saying

Possibility 2 (same basic scenario)
Mod: (also playing as Giles) Before you stands 22 Willis Av, A large house in classic New England style, large sagging porch, lots of gables, gingerbread fixtures and wide, empty windows. Clearly long abandoned but also seemingly the focus point of a series of neighbourhood disappearances. Giles tells you all to get out he draws up onto the curb. 'And please do show some caution, we still have little idea what we're dealing with.'
(person playing Buffy) the girl at school said 'like a bat', so a bat-like demon?
(person palying Xander) Or possibly an unrelated bat-sighting. Giles, you need a bigger car. *Xander struggles to get out of the back seat without too much flailing*
(person playing Buffy) Still bitter over my calling shotgun? *I'm checking my crossbow and also my nails. Pulling on this tight string can chip my nail vanish*
(person playing Willow) *I'm quietly double-checking my protection spell and looking out the window* [PM's the mod to see if she spots anything from the car]
(Person playing Xander) *I finally free myself from the car that time forgot and...I ready my flashlight. Didn't bring a weapon, but at least I can see clearly if something kills me* I called shotgun first y'know. Just...quietly, and you didn't hear.
[mod tells Willow-player via PM that she sees something moving inside one of the first floor rooms. Could possibly be something unspeakably evil and bat-like. Could be a curtain*]
(person playing Willow) Guys, look! I saw something move, over there.
(Person playing Buffy) *I look to where Will's pointing, weapon at the ready* What is it?
(Person palying Willow) Eh, curtain maybe? But it was, y'know, sinister-looking.
(person playing Xander) Well gang, lets go and check it out. After Buffy.

And so it goes.
Good points: Not everyone is prepared to write reams of words in a posting to say how their moving the plot forward, so this takes the pressure off, they can just say what they're doing and react to stuff. The plot can have more direction and feel more like 'I'm the character reacting in the show to a situation' that the mod sets up with descriptions. Players can PM the mod to ask character specific questions (what does Willow's spell do? Does Faith hit the creature? Does Andrew recognise this species of demon? The mod can reply and the answer be given seemlessly in-game by that player.
Bad points: Less colaborative, although players can often add little details that don't affect the overall plot. The mod has to do a lot of work and the quality obviously relies on what they come up with.

Suggestions, addendums, preferences, advice or alternatives? :)

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I think the second one is better. It sounds more like the TV show & things wont be all over the place.

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
as of now, i support possibility # 2.
The biggest issues i am aware of and have experienced with RP's, are:
1) when left solely in the players (RP's) hands, the specific RP often goes off the rails in some form or fashion.
2) Not everyone (especially the older crowd) has time to write paragraphs or has the time to be very descriptive. I know if I were participating during a weeknight and it was later in the evening, i would be using my phone while in bed. Which makes writing descriptive paragraphs much more difficult.

This being said, i also encourage a round robin Moderator system. Mostly to take the work load off one person. But also to let participants get their plots/ideas out.

thetopher

Sineya
As it stands the Final group stands as:

@ChaseRules - Ghost!Tara
@Riderofapocalypse - Andrew Wells
@Allie - Dawn
@Jules - Giles
@HowiMetdaSlayer - Willow
@thetopher - Faith

Last chance for any lurkers who wanna to join in? :)

Okay, so it seems people prefer the second approach, with maybe an option to switch mods later on for whoever wants to wield such dizzying powers over their fellow mortals. That's cool.
A couple of other things:

Thinking more about use of the PM system which might streamline things between the mod and any specific player who wants to ask for more info, or even between players.
Say that Ghost!Tara wants to talk with Dawn (who's freaking out because...ghost!Tara, yeah?), then they can PM some sort of role-play interaction between them and then, when the whole thing has played out like they wanted- they can post it all on the main thread (or send it to somebody to clean it up and edit/streamline it) for everyone to marvel at their mad RP skillz. :D
Obviously if somebody doesn't know how to PM then that needs to be looked into before we can begin.

When deciding if your character succeeds in completing an action ( as in 'You gets it! or You totally suck!) then only two things really matter: character realism and descriptors.
Character realism is fairly basic. Dawn can't kick down a door or cast a (complicated) spell, but she knows how to swing an axe or translate an ancient crumbly text. Andrew knows about demons and geek culture but not about picking a lock or wrestling a vampire to the ground. Willow is a tech wiz but isn't the most athletic, that sorta thing.
Every character has things their good at and things their not good at. Something to remember when deciding your course of action. Of course there's wiggle room on some things but that can be debated in Pm or whatever.
Since everyone has picked a character they really like then hopefully they've got a handle on strengths and weaknesses.

Secondly is how you describe what you're doing: 'Dawn punches the slime demon in the face' might work but 'I grab a heavy looking statue off of the shelf and swing it hard at the slimy creatures face' has a better chance of working because we can all imagine it working. A little detail goes a long way towards success.
But only with activities where there's a chance of failure. Opening a door, tying your shoelace, turning on a light- all those are givens. Usually.

It doesn't really matter if you refer to your character as 'I do this' or 'Willow does this', either is entirely valid just try and keep it consistent. :)

Lastly the action will open with- not surprisingly- everyone on the bus driving away from the crater formly known as Sunnydale.
Players should think about what activity their character is engaged in on the bus. Don't post just yet, simply visualize! ;)

Questions or clafications?

Okay, so I've got a set-up all ready, so we just need to decide on a day of the week/date to get started.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I've never done this before but it sounds really interesting. If you need another character let me know. :) Maybe a small non demainding role for me to learn with. I could be Ghost Tara's kitten? Kidding, open to suggestions.

thetopher

Sineya
Available characters:

Xander
Kennedy

Former Potential: Vi, Rona, Caridad, Shannon, Chao- Ahn. (Shannon is the one that got stabbed by Caleb in 'Dirty Girls'. Apparently she survived the final battle)
Uh, the Ghost of Miss Kitty Fantastico?
Almost forgot about...Buffy.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
Sure.
Another slayer to the mix is always welcome. Faith might boss you around a bit though. ;)
I think we'll be a good team, I'll be passive, Faith can be aggressive. Nothing can go wrong, right? Maybe we can even come up with some new subtext.....

Top Bottom