• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

River Tam The Vampire Slayer (?)

white avenger

white avenger
It was mentioned in this Youtube video

in the section concerning a third Season of "Firefly," there were plans for the crew to meet a "much older Spike," which affirms that the show did indeed exist within the Buffyverse, and that vampires (at least one) and possibly other demons, still exist. Given that, and the demonstration of River Tam's fighting skill in the spinoff movie "Serenity," do you think that she might possibly be a Slayer? In that case maybe Reavers might actually actually have been some kind of demon, rather than just insane rapist/cannibal humans who were affected by the peace gas, or whatever they used on Miranda.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Jayne Cobb- a normal human- one-punches River unconscious in the 'Serenity' movie.

So no, River isn't a slayer, slayers can take a hellacious amount of punishment from being punched and kicked.
River just fights very well. If she were a slayer then surely she'd be more like Dana, lethal even though she had zero training.

AmberMissy

Buffy obsessed, but new here...
The Whedonverse Shared Universe Theory is quite common:

Even to the point where Scott Summers (Cyclops in XMen) almost mentioned that he had a cousin who had spent time in a mental institution before:

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
Jayne Cobb- a normal human- one-punches River unconscious in the 'Serenity' movie.

So no, River isn't a slayer, slayers can take a hellacious amount of punishment from being punched and kicked.
River just fights very well. If she were a slayer then surely she'd be more like Dana, lethal even though she had zero training.
But you could argue that Buffy is pretty weak as a Slayer in season 1, and grows increasingly tough and can take a lot more as the years go on, River as an untrained Slayer would've been at a pretty weak state of Slayerhood at the time. I'm not saying River is necessarily a Slayer, but Jayne once knocking her out doesn't refute it either if you ask me. She does come out of it pretty quickly.

I don't really like the idea of her being a Slayer, but I'd also say that she does more than just fight well. In most of Serenity she seems to have superpowers of sorts, she kicks ass in a way that requires more than just fighting skills and agility, when she fights both at the bar and the Reavers, she's clearly very, very strong, especially for a girl her size.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
But you could argue that Buffy is pretty weak as a Slayer in season 1, and grows increasingly tough and can take a lot more as the years go on, River as an untrained Slayer would've been at a pretty weak state of Slayerhood at the time. I'm not saying River is necessarily a Slayer
I just picked one basic requirement for being the slayer. River lacks slayer-strength (like, breaking things with her bare hands), prophetic dreams, toughness, regeneration. Also River has psychic mind-reading abilities/insights for some reason (which slayers do not have unless they get some demon slime on them and then they abuse their powers in the classroom)

'Good at fighting' is not exactly evidence. A wiry martial artist can knock out someone bigger than them without having to be super-strong. :)

I don't really like the idea of her being a Slayer, but I'd also say that she does more than just fight well.
I agree that River seems more than just a martial arts-waif or whatever; she instantly knows how to use all weapons expertly, she's a natural deadshot with firearms, she's preternaturally sneaky and quite acrobatic; just not supernaturally so. She's clearly some kinda uber-assassin.
I don't know if we ever find out how/why she is like this which I suppose is why some say 'slayer' because its a simple explanation. But to me her abilities never matched anything we see of slayers.

Mostly River reminds me of Echo from Dollhouse in the way she fights; no supernatural stunts just balletic and brutal.

white avenger

white avenger
I'm not saying River is necessarily a Slayer, but Jayne once knocking her out doesn't refute it either
Whether River is a Slayer or not, the fact that a big, powerful man like Jayne, who obviously is versed in the art of dirty fighting, could knock her out with a single punch doesn't either prove or disprove anything. He didn't beat her in a stand up, toe to toe fight, he hit her when, basically, her attention was focused somewhere else. It comes down to what Spike referred to as "one lucky day." Even someone with Buffy's skill and experience could have had the same thing happen to her under those circumstances.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Unlikely. River is a polymath who was experimented on by an evil corporation. Nothing in Firefly suggests Fantasy. As for Spike? Tommy Westphall is very hard to communicate with?

Top Bottom