• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

River Tam

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Where do you think they could have taken this character if there was a season two? Do you think post the Serenity film River had changed too much from where they had her in the series?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I assumed the end goal was always to have her reveal the secret of Miranda and how the crew was to deal with that. How long they dragged out the mystery of her trauma would have depended on how many seasons they had or what stories they had planned for the future. I don't think she changed from what she was planned to be, but she did adapt, we saw evidence of her terminator training in the series.

Altoz

Potential
I would have liked to see how the characters adapted to the revelations in Serenity the movie. Granted, the comics compensate for that, and with some nice touches- Zoe's pregnancy and childbirth, the growing bond between Mel and Inara and Simon and Kaley, and the problematic large lump named Jayne. Sorry, I never particularly liked that character. And how is Zoe mourning Wash's death? How about the rest of the crew? What about River, who's now the strongest person onboard? What happens to her as she emerges from what happened to her on Miranda?

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I haven’t gotten the comics yet, but I want to. I love River. She’s my absolute favorite. I would have hoped to see her grow more, and become a little more capable, but I wouldn’t want them to get rid of all her quirks! To me it was one of the best parts, her unpredictability, and sometimes her hilarious reactions to things. Plus, her constantly hiding up on the ceiling like a weird spider.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I haven’t gotten the comics yet, but I want to. I love River. She’s my absolute favorite. I would have hoped to see her grow more, and become a little more capable, but I wouldn’t want them to get rid of all her quirks! To me it was one of the best parts, her unpredictability, and sometimes her hilarious reactions to things. Plus, her constantly hiding up on the ceiling like a weird spider.
As someone a little more knowlegeable now, I'd like to amend this statement.

I've read some of the comics now, and personally, not a fan.

Here's why:

The resolution of Miranda WOULD NOT CURE RIVER. The comics act as if she's magically fine (With the added bonus of assassin skills) after Miranda. Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Just because she turns to Simon and says "I'm fine", then we don't see her have any serious, behavior heavy interactions, doesn't mean she's magically fine. Yes, she went out and fought the Reavers, and spoke to Mal, but we really don't get to see her do anything that could indicate her true post-Miranda state. Resolving Miranda doesn't fix the physical alterations and damages the Academy left her with. It won't erase her PTSD. If anything, it will release her from the mental and emotional turmoil she's been experienceing since being triggered in the bar. "I'm fine"! means "Hey, I'm not experiencing second hand the assault and torture that these people experienced through my empath/psychic abilites anymore"! not "Hey, after months and months of torment, meds and treatments, none of it mattered, because watching a 30 second video of a woman being murdered fixed all my problems"!

That's one thing I really don't like about the post-Serenity comics. Not only is the art not very good, (that's a different discussion) But River's character is terrible, and incredibly dissapointing and frustrating for a hardcore River fan. Not only do they assume she was magically fixed, (the characters don't treat her this way, still making fun of her for being "crazy" and "weird", which I find a little cruel, seeing as she is no longer so out of it so as to not care. No, she is fully aware that Jayne is telling everyone that she's useless (most of the time), as well as her brother calling her crazy!) but they also haven't allowed her to take on her pre-academy personality (which would have been much more enjoyable and interesting than mopey, no-smile comics River). We see it in the series, and in the R. Tam sessions, before the academy, she was shy, playful, and a bit mischievious.

But in the comics, she's got this grave, weight-of-the-world attitude. She doesn't smile, and she doesn't really interact with Simon much (in the comics, all the couples are constantly implied to be...busy. I don't know how they have the time).

To officially answer the question? I think they could have explored her character more, and with the gradual improvements she made throughout the series, they could have given her more plotlines, as well as let her keep the show lighthearted with her innocence and optimism. That is, if they don't go off the assumption that she was magically cured.

I don't want to see a grave, war-worn River save all her "assassin sisters" from the academy because she randomly remembered they exsisted. I want to see her to continue to be the loving, lighthearted girl who will continue to fight for her family, as well as to keep that same lighthearted girl alive, because let's be honest, one of the sweetest parts about River's plotline was that Simon wasn't the only one working to bring River back. River fought to save herself too. That just meant asking for help sometimes.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Dangerous when bored
Black Thorn
It would be soooo awesome to see River Tam versus River Song! Who'd win in a fight? #TimeyWimey

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
I mean, I want to say River Tam because, hello, super king fu ballet assassin, but on the other hand, River Song has a gun, so… *bang bang* River Tam is dead. Though, she is pretty good at dodging…you’re right this would be fascinating!!!
Top Bottom