• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Sarah's weight loss in season 6 and 7

AngelBuffy

Townie
did anyone notice how much weight buffy lost by season 6 and 7.

In the earlier seasons especially season 1, sarah was what I would call normal size. she had boobs, curves and ass. by season 6 and 7 she was horrifying stick thing and lost of her curves.

charisma carpenter and Sarah Michele were the best looking girls on the show but sarah lost a lot of her looks when she got really thin. charisma got more beautiful because she did not go down to a size zero.

for me buffy looked her most beautiful in season 2 and season 5. though season 5 was because of her hair

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Eliza and Sarah were the best looking.
W

WillowFromBuffy

People always say this, but I think she looks extremely skinny by S3 already, maybe earlier. It is not always noticeable, but whenever she wears formfitting clothes, you can see that she has no thighs. Look at "Who Are You?" It's a miracle her tiny body can support the weight of her head.

Charisma's body and appearance changed a lot during and after her pregnancy, but it certainly did not make her any less beautiful.

There seems to have been quite a bit of pressure on the actors to stay thin, though David and Nick must have missed the memo. It is a sad aspect to the industry, but it seems to be less bad in more recent shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

spikenbuffy

"Preparation, preparation, preparation"
Yeah. People noticed unlike me who hadn't noticed till I saw people talk about it in threads. But I knew and saw how she was like in S1 compared to S2 when she is a little different.

white avenger

white avenger
I noticed, and I've always wondered if it was just Sarah losing weight for some reason (as small as she is, just the loss of a few pounds would be noticeable) Within the context of the show, however, it worked out quite well, since Seasons 6 and 7 would have been a very traumatic time in Buffy's life. Sufficient rest and a proper diet would have been hard, if not impossible for a Slayer to maintain. It would even be fairly accurate within context that Giles and the Scoobies wouldn't have noticed, since they were so caught up in their own affairs.

NeddaSai

Potential
It was gradual/not really noticable to me from season 1-3.. then I noticed it in S4. Maybe it was the Reily contrast? I don't think she lost more weight after that though, she pretty much looked the same to me from S4-7.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
People always say this, but I think she looks extremely skinny by S3 already, maybe earlier. It is not always noticeable, but whenever she wears formfitting clothes, you can see that she has no thighs. Look at "Who Are You?" It's a miracle her tiny body can support the weight of her head.
Surprise/Innocence when she wears those giraffe pants also shows this quite well.

I know, at some point, SMG mentioned that in season 1 she still had her ”baby fat” which made her a little ”rounder” (though that feels like a strange word to use)

I think the problem by s7 is age, as in - she looks really tired a lot in season 2 cause she worked very hard, but still had that childish glow of health and youth about her.

By season 6-7 she’s starting to look more mature, not old mind, just her face is maturing and I think that contributes to her skinniness by then appearing less healthy than before. Her body probably was exhausted by that point though, and I do think that by s7 she’s probably at her skinniest, but I don’t think the weight loss was that drastic. It probably has more to do with fashion, hair and make up that makes it seem extreme.

AngelBuffy

Townie

Charisma's body and appearance changed a lot during and after her pregnancy, but it certainly did not make her any less beautiful.

There seems to have been quite a bit of pressure on the actors to stay thin, though David and Nick must have missed the memo. It is a sad aspect to the industry, but it seems to be less bad in more recent shows.

yes I agree in who are you. buffy is supposed to be stronger than faith but eliza daskhu looked more convincing fighting.

she was so skinny by season 6 and 7. watch selfless. too too thin.

another episode was the one she got shot by warren, when she was wearing the jeans. she had no tighs and hips and she had boy chest. meaning no breasts. a farcry from season 1.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Didn't recently she get into trouble for some tweets about not eating.
Yeah she looked gorgeous in S1, it's a shame she lost so much even by S2.
But Hollywood (and Joss too) seem to have a preference for skinny leads, so there is always that pressure.

To use an example of that pressure, I remember the names called to Amber Benson at the time, calling her fat :mad:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I noticed a real difference from S6 onward. Maybe she lost weight in heaven? Or the resurrection spell got her back everything except for those critical pounds of fat.

Yes, SMG has always been petite, and proportionate, but she also had youth and muscle tone to off-set it. I feel like in those last two seasons- due to a variety factors- she just looked more worn down than previously.

She's still beautiful though, but in her work immediately post-Buffy you do see a difference.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There was a previous thread where someone said that Joss had a nutritionist on set to get SMG down from her original 115 lb to 94 lb which is what she was at the end of Season 7. Now that she is not in a series anymore, she is back to looking good. I think the thread was about whether Joss could be considered a feminist.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
I agree with @HowiMetdaSlayer up above, you guys are being a bit harsh on Sarah.

I can't say I never noticed it, but going back watching random episodes again it's mostly just the fashion that highlights it. I actually have the same problem where I look way too thin, in fact I actually have the exact same build she does...

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
fellow skinny chika here
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
You're 12 though, you're still growing. SMG was a full grown adult.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I think Sarah looks greats amazing in every season. And she has this fierceness in her look and the way she carries herself that make her a convincing action hero.

However, Sarah has admitted that the pressure to stay thin caused her to develop anorexia. The nutritionist should have taken better care of her health, mental and physical. Also, we should question why almost every single woman in every Mutant Enemy production have the same body type. The new and old characters in the new Buffy comic are also super skinny.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
Also, we should question why almost every single woman in every Mutant Enemy production have the same body type. The new and old characters in the new Buffy comic are also super skinny.
Clears throat
Tara doesn't have the same build as everyone else. Just saying that.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Sarah had an eating disorder, that was obvious. Her hair thinned, her face was sunken in, and her body was bony. Been there, done that. The signs were pretty obvious.

I thought she looked perfect beginning in S3, by the way.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Clears throat
Tara doesn't have the same build as everyone else. Just saying that.
Joss very specifically wanted a skinny girl for Tara. He wanted a shy and fragile girl. It was Marti who insisted that Amber was the right choice. And even with her curves, Tara is skinner than people seem to realise underneath her bohemian chic clothes. And she is just one character among many.

A scale that starts at Amy Acker and stops at Amber Benson is rather narrow, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Btvs fan

Scooby
There was a previous thread where someone said that Joss had a nutritionist on set to get SMG down from her original 115 lb to 94 lb which is what she was at the end of Season 7. Now that she is not in a series anymore, she is back to looking good. I think the thread was about whether Joss could be considered a feminist.
Just wanting skinny girls only for cast members and firing a woman for getting pregnant, is not that feminist in all honesty

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Joss very specifically wanted a skinny girl for Tara. He wanted a shy and fragile girl. It was Marti who insisted that Amber was the right choice. And even with her curves, Tara is skinner than people seem to realise underneath her bohemian chic clothes. And she is just one character among many.

A scale that starts at Amy Acker and stops at Amber Benson is rather narrow, wouldn't you say?

I'll be in my bunk...

W
WillowFromBuffy
Just from a purely geometrical perspective, that is a beautiful arch, isn't it? :p

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But Hollywood (and Joss too) seem to have a preference for skinny leads, so there is always that pressure.
As mentioned already, Joss originally didn't want Amber Benson because she wasn't skinny enough, it was Marti Noxon who insisted Amber was the right choice (One of the things MN got right on the show at least).

There was also something said by the stunt double about how she had to leave because she couldn't go that low and still do the stunts because it was almost impossible.

Top Bottom