• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Sarah's weight loss in season 6 and 7

Dora

Scooby
Sarah has said about this, that she was too thin in season 6 and 7 but it was the pressure on set and Holly Wood generally to be thin , looks a lot better today ...my favourite Buffy look, has to be season 4 , hair , looks and size perfection ,

thrasherpix

Scooby
I noticed it in s6-7 without anyone pointing it out. I believe that the "heroin chic" look was in style then (more so than usual).

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Werewolf Seductress
Black Thorn
Exactly. When they presented an image a young girl could aspire to versus some of the ordinary looking models they have today.
Today's models are so dull-looking. Blah. Homely. Nothing special. Except for Kaia Gerber, who looks AMAZING. She's given me hope for the fashion world! 👠💋💄

Taake
Taake
She makes me wish Cindy Crawford was MY mom. To have those genes!

Izzie

Townie
There seems to have been quite a bit of pressure on the actors to stay thin, though David and Nick must have missed the memo. It is a sad aspect to the industry, but it seems to be less bad in more recent shows.
Allthough the industry puts a lot of pressure to actors and actresses to stay fit and beautiful, the industry is still more harsh to women.
I read somewhere that even some fans were calling Amber Benson fat at the start. In no way is she fat, but compared to the more tiny Sarah and Allyson she always just looked bigger on screen that lead to people fatshaming her.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I read somewhere that even some fans were calling Amber Benson fat at the start. In no way is she fat, but compared to the more tiny Sarah and Allyson she always just looked bigger on screen that lead to people fatshaming her.
Agreed, reminds me of Courtney Thorne Smith who got pretty bad eating disorders during the filming of Ally McBeal because she really wanted the kind of slender arms she saw elsewhere. It's a self-feeding loop of badness when someone is pushed to lose weight, gets really skinny and others are pressured to imitate and then yet others are pressured to imitate them and so on and so forth.

But men are pressured as well. I think Nick was specifically told not to work out (because he was getting too hunky to be nerdy Xander or something), David obviously only gained weight when he had a serious knee-injury, and James Marsters I think has been very vocal about how he felt pressured to be very (unhealthily) skinny in season 6 because he had to be naked all the time.

GraceK
GraceK
Poor James being used as a sex object 😉 if only there were others who understood.....🤔

DagonSphere

Potential
The words Joss used why he didn't want to cast Amber was that he imagined Tara to be "tiny, mousy and vulnerable, in need of protection", not necessarily that she was supposed to be super-skinny, but he wanted her to look more helpless than Willow to contrast her with how far Willow had come as a character. The fact that he ended up casting Amber anyway, illustrates that he didn't end up having a problem with the fact that Amber looked more "womanly" or "bigger than Willow".

Also, casting skinny girls was not really that unusual for the time, that's what Hollywood is, that's what the networks wanted. Look at all the girls on TheWb back in the day. I mean, Jane Krakowski on Ally McBeal had such high insecurities about how skinny everybody was that she got an eating disorder. So to place the sole blame on Joss why he only has overly skinny girls on the show is kinda ridiculous. I think Joss worked within the realms of what the expectations in Hollywood were at the time.

I think Sarah looked her best in seasons 1-3, she had noticeably lost weight in later seasons. But that's also what happens on TV shows, America Ferrera also lost a lot of weight over the run of Ugly Betty. I think it's also the stress that comes with being the lead on a show and the expectations that Hollywood has as well. I

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
People always say this, but I think she looks extremely skinny by S3 already, maybe earlier. It is not always noticeable, but whenever she wears formfitting clothes, you can see that she has no thighs. Look at "Who Are You?" It's a miracle her tiny body can support the weight of her head.

Charisma's body and appearance changed a lot during and after her pregnancy, but it certainly did not make her any less beautiful.

There seems to have been quite a bit of pressure on the actors to stay thin, though David and Nick must have missed the memo. It is a sad aspect to the industry, but it seems to be less bad in more recent shows.

In regards to David, there was a problem with his knee in the last few series of ATS which caused him his problems with his weight which I imagine gave him issues with any physical exercising.

However this was sorted out once the problem with his knee was fixed and by the time Bones started he had got back to his level of fitness that was required for the role which he has maintained going into his new show where he in another demanding role that has him doing a lot of activity stunts.

So while it may be true about it being more difficult for men than it is for women in the industry, as far as I can see David also felt it was necessary to get back into shape to still be in the running for any roles he pursued.

And yes it could be viewed as me being a little overprotective about David 😳

As for Sarah, it was a bit more noticeable from series 3 but I think she still look pretty good.

It just became more obvious series after series from the 5th one (IMO) which is when her original stunt double got change because it was beyond the stunt woman to go down to that sort of weight.

Although I wouldn't say it was just or even because of any issues she had with things going on with the actual show.

Bluebird
Bluebird
Yeah I remember Angel being referred to as a show about a fat vampire in the press at the time. They got away with that cos he's a bloke.
SES SA
SES SA
Torn ACL. 12 month injury for professional athletes.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
"tiny, mousy and vulnerable, in need of protection"
I would suggest that in order to class as 'tiny' being super-skinny is a prerequisite. And as for 'vulnerable and in need of protection' - sounds rather 'frail' to me. Again - a skinny word. I also heard the desired descriptor was 'birdlike' which is usually taken to mean more wren than condor.

Didn't Joss Whedon refer to CC as 'that fat actress' whilst she was pregnant? I'm sure I've seen something about CC saying that the playboy photo shoot she did, after giving birth, was partly because she had been made to feel so sh*t about her body whilst she was pregnant.

I think all the women were under a lot of pressure to be thin - to an unhealthy degree - and, depending on the clothes they are wearing, it really shows. There are lots of jutting out pelvic bones and clavicles in the later seasons.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Didn't Joss Whedon refer to CC as 'that fat actress' whilst she was pregnant? I'm sure I've seen something about CC saying that the playboy photo shoot she did, after giving birth, was partly because she had been made to feel so sh*t about her body whilst she was pregnant.
If true then he's a real piece of dirt for saying that :mad:

K
katmobile
Operative word if but yes

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Also the costumes she was made to wear were not very flattering. Whilst the other female characters wore form fitting clothes, Tara was always in something that gave no definition For example:

This is easily one of Tara's worst outfits.

Amber on the other hand knows how to dress:

K
katmobile
The dress she had for OMWF was lovely though

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
SMG talked about her health in a magazine a while ago. She discussed dealing with the insane physical pressure, especially in the later seasons and how her body took years to heal after the show had ended.

As many have said before, I think it was a combination of pressure (workload) and Hollywood standards. Hollywood standards used to be (still are) insane and I feel bad for all of those women who developed eating disorders because of it. I think healthy eating is important and obesity is a massive issue in the world, but you are allowed to have some fat. The fact that people called Amber Benson fat is absolutely insane, though.

I do have to say, it isn't a criticism of SMG, but of Holywood itself. It has improved loads in the last few years (not there yet), but if you watch any 90s or early 2000s shows the majority of the women are incredibly thin.

Btvs fan

Scooby
SMG talked about her health in a magazine a while ago. She discussed dealing with the insane physical pressure, especially in the later seasons and how her body took years to heal after the show had ended.

As many have said before, I think it was a combination of pressure (workload) and Hollywood standards. Hollywood standards used to be (still are) insane and I feel bad for all of those women who developed eating disorders because of it. I think healthy eating is important and obesity is a massive issue in the world, but you are allowed to have some fat. The fact that people called Amber Benson fat is absolutely insane, though.

I do have to say, it isn't a criticism of SMG, but of Holywood itself. It has improved loads in the last few years (not there yet), but if you watch any 90s or early 2000s shows the majority of the women are incredibly thin.
I'm not sure I'd even call it fat. It's just normal bodyweight.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Maybe with the exception of a few actresses, I actually feel it has gotten worse? Like in the 90s there were a lot of slender actresses of course, but I felt like the truly skinny ones (Ally McBeal-ish) were rare. I feel like now there is a more uniform, flat hips, zero body fat, bony look going on. But maybe I’ve been watching the wrong things.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Maybe with the exception of a few actresses, I actually feel it has gotten worse? Like in the 90s there were a lot of slender actresses of course, but I felt like the truly skinny ones (Ally McBeal-ish) were rare. I feel like now there is a more uniform, flat hips, zero body fat, bony look going on. But maybe I’ve been watching the wrong things.
I agree with you Taake. Sure there are a couple actresses who have landed bigger roles that are a little bigger (America Ferrera and Mindy Kaling come to mind) but the majority are still very thin. It also seems that there is a trend of "bigger" actors slimming down the more successful they become (Jennifer Lawrence, Lea Michele, Chris Pratt), which just seems to confirm what we already know about it being an industry that really puts pressure on people to look a certain way.

NeddaSai

Potential
I remember when I first watched the first season of the Vampire Diaries when it aired being shocked at how skinny everyone was. By that point I wasn't watching a lot of current TV so they all looked very different to me than what I was used to in earlier shows. After watching more current TV though, then rewatching VD I noticed I kinda got used to it and felt like they're not as shockingly skinny as i thought before.. The power of TV.

HushSarah

Scorpio Slayer
Sarah's look in Season 4 was the beginning of something that didn't look natural. During the peak of the show it's popularity Sarah felt influenced to work out and get that lean look. The look that today is considered "the thigh gap" which didn't look right on her body. To me, even though she wasn't done maturing, Season 3 was her best look, she was healthy, fit and not emaciated or tired. Season 6-7 she was obviously stressed from the show and it showed.

SiobanD1981

Spuffy Lover
Didn't recently she get into trouble for some tweets about not eating.
Yes, good point. This is the instagram picture that got her into trouble. She later apologized if it offended people. Looks like her in S7, right?

But, she's not the only one super thin. James Marsters is way too skinny for my taste. I think that he's really hot but a few more pounds wouldn't hurt. I always feel that they are gonna break each other when they "fight/do something" else in S6.

thetopher
thetopher
Pretty pic karma. :)

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
I agree the shot she posted above does look like S7 Buffy, but I don't see any problem with how she looked in S7 (I'm not talking about her apology for offending people with her statement next to the photo). She looked effing beautiful all through the show, including seasons 7 and 6. Am I missing something? Even if she was understandably stressed/ overworked by the seventh season (which would be totally understandable), and even if she admittedly lost some weight, it was hardly as drastic as it seems going by this thread. I started watching the show around the end of S5 and the start of S6, and I never found her an uber-skinny actress. (In fact, some actresses ARE genetically slender like Amy Acker, but SMG was never that.) To reach any consensus of what constitutes "normal" is of course relative, but I'm as uncomfortable with "skinny-shaming" as I am with fat-shaming. And I'm wary of criticising SMG's figure at any point on the show because I just think it's unnecessary, she looked objectively terrific throughout the seasons, regardless of fluctuating weight loss or gain, so comments about how "unhealthy" she looks just puzzle me. When I caught up with the early seasons when I first watched the show, I saw the difference to her look in S1 definitely, but it seemed like what SMG said: it comes partly from losing natural baby-fat, some people just have that early on, and gradually lose it over time, it's not unhealthy when that happens.

In S7 she has a more drawn face and does look kind of skinny at points (mind you, not all the time, a lot of it is also clothes), but I thought SMG was her skinniest in S4, not S6 or S7 (her shoulders in the episode Who Are You look way thinner than they do in S7.) I'm surprised S4 doesn't get mention over the last two seasons, but her weight seemed mostly steady through seasons 4, 5 and 6 and while admittedly in S7 her face looked drawn, that's after 7 years of being the lead on a demanding TV show, you'd hardly expect her to look exactly the same as she did in S1. When I think of "super skinny" I think of Ally McBeal/ Calista Flockhart. To me SMG was never that. Either way, it's really SMG's business how she feels about her weight, and she looked pretty amazing throughout the show.

Top Bottom