• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Say Something Nice About Oz.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
So next week in my watch-through it will be Season 4's sendoff for everybody's favorite werewolf, Oz.

I noticed that there really hasn't been any recent love regarding this character for a while, so here we are! :)

Why do you like him? What, for you, did he bring to the show? Favorite moments?

I like that Oz is grounded, together, laid back, not that neurotic. I like that he contrasts with all the other Scoobies (who all have big neurosis in the own way).
I like that he has this huge burden (being a werewolf) but rarely lets it get him down, or affect the people he cares about. He's more about being supportive to Willow and her magics.

Brave, unflappable, cool in a crisis. Really funny when he wants to be. Kinda scary when he wants to be ('Time's up, rules change')
He's genuinely cool (it's not, say, an affectation like he's trying too hard). He's in a band, he likes cool music, he's got a weird, dry sense of humour.

He has the best hair of of the guys on the show (no 'too much mousse/gel' or 'noodle hair' :p)

He's not judgmental at all, I don't ever remember him being petty, unkind or nasty to anyone (could be wrong on that though- nobodies perfect)

Bits I remember liking:

The animal crackers bit with Willow. Sweet.

'Hey, did anyone else just see that guy turn to dust?'

His 'Willow kissage' speech to Willow in his van during 'Innocence'. All the craziness going on and we get a bit of romance. Aw.

This: 'Is Jordy a werewolf? *pause* 'Huh. And how long has that being going on?' :)

Punching Xander, and then helping him up to look for Buffy the rat.

'I may be a cold-blooded jelly doughnut but my timing's impeccable.'

His decisive action in 'Choices' when he stopped all that arguing.

His Halloween costume in 'Fear Itself' :D

More to come when I can think of them.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
He's just Oz-some! lol

sosa lola

Scooby
I like how he expresses himself in short sentences and sometimes in a single word. I love that he forgave Willow after she cheated on him - but not right away - and not only forgave Xander but started to spend some time with him unlike before. His sense of humor is appealing and he makes me laugh a lot.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I love, love, love Oz! And it's really because of Seth Green. I just think Oz is so adorable, I want my own Oz. But he's an awesome characters for all the reasons you mentioned. I like that he's into Willow, and not the typical girls like Cordelia. He's definitely more grounded and sees things in a different perspective than the Scoobies. His humor works well. He's more about actions than words, like smashing the urn, or kissing Willow when he's panicking. He's concerned for Willows magic use yet still supports her. And he locks himself away so he doesn't hurt anyone when he turns into a wolf.
He has the best hair of of the guys on the show
And it changes color! The only other example I can think of is Anya. I think Willow just changes varying degrees of red. But I like how he just shows up with different color hair and no one say anything, that's just who he is.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
He is a cold blooded jelly donut with a philosophical mind that is highly requested by the public because he barely speaks :p

I like how he can express himself without speaking much.

I like how often he dyes his hair, his, blond suits him best :)
(maybe Paige from "Charmed" was inspired by Oz to change her hair color frequently...)

I like that he is a werewolf (I generally prefer werewolves over vampires, unless we are talking about Buffy)

And I changed my avatar to Oz (for the meantime) in order to celebrate this thread :)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Thought of some more:

In 'Anne'. Throwing a stake at the escaping vamp and watching it bounce off a tombstone. 'That really never works.'

Oz's deep, zen thoughts in 'Earshot', plus his later comments about the journo-students criticism of 'Dingo's Ate My Baby'.

Arguing about Kryptonite with Xander in 'Helpless'. Surprisingly Oz is correct and 'out-nerds' Xander. :eek:

Gingerbread. Dropping through the ceiling at the end. 'We're here to rescue you.' :)

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
He took a bullet for Willow!
Him looking at Willow in the Eskimo costume and asking "Who is that girl?"
Offering to go on patrol with Buffy when Willow couldn't in Living Conditions.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
He's the guitar player for Dingoes, not the singer/main guy, says a lot.

Also, he's in a band called Dingoes Ate my Baby.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Oz is fantastic and I think he's a really big miss once he leaves the show. Everyone seems to have a good handle on what makes him great but I'll repeat a few anyway. I really enjoy his humour. He gets some really witty lines and his timing is always perfect. I like that he can also be funny even when he's barely doing anything, like when he sees Angel in LA.

I appreciate his blend of maturity. By that I mean he can be really perceptive and patient, like the first time Willow tries to kiss him and he tells her to wait. At the same time though he's a gifted guy who prefers to be laid back and play music than throw himself into studying.

I like that he's not judgemental and can take things in his stride. He's not one to let even terrible news like becoming a werewolf destroy his life. He'll find a way to deal with it and still remain Oz.

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
He just takes life with such elan!

Buffy slams him against the wall and says 'try it' and he asks, 'try what?' Then when she releases him and apologizes he tells her he's still not sure what to try. That is one tense person!

And I love his reaction to seeing a vamp staked for the first time. Ox is great but I can see why the actor left. There was really no movement in his character - no real arc.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Oz looks great with ginger hair and with every hair color he dyed his hair to (blond, brown and black)-most people can't pull that off.

He offered to attack the mayor with hummus, much better than an empty box that says 'Ebola' on it.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
I love everything about Oz. He's intelligent, interesting, a little odd, and best of all, he doesn't talk a lot.
(One of the things that thoroughly annoys me is people who won't stop talking...it makes me crazy)

Oz is one of my all-time favourite characters ever.

Mr Trick

Scooby
What gets overlooked a lot is how advanced some of the masculine representations on both shows are. When you consider the contrast between Xander and Spike for example. And Oz is different again. I wouldn't put him up there with my favourite characters, but I do enjoy Oz for pretty much his whole run on Buffy, and his one episode on Angel (think that's right?). Possbley Seth Green's best ever performance and character.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oz is fantastic and I think he's a really big miss once he leaves the show. Everyone seems to have a good handle on what makes him great but I'll repeat a few anyway. I really enjoy his humour. He gets some really witty lines and his timing is always perfect. I like that he can also be funny even when he's barely doing anything, like when he sees Angel in LA.

I appreciate his blend of maturity. By that I mean he can be really perceptive and patient, like the first time Willow tries to kiss him and he tells her to wait. At the same time though he's a gifted guy who prefers to be laid back and play music than throw himself into studying.

I like that he's not judgemental and can take things in his stride. He's not one to let even terrible news like becoming a werewolf destroy his life. He'll find a way to deal with it and still remain Oz.

I will just second this instead of writing a long post.

I'll add a favorite Oz moment where he remains so very true to himself yet does something "out of character". In "Choices" when he without much of a noise just gets up and destroys the potion they need to ruin the box of Gavrok because Willow's life is (theoretically) at stake.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oz always had this amazing knack of saying so much without saying anything at all, and when he did say something it was always to the point and matter-of-fact, but he was never cruel or malicious. I adore Oz and wish he'd stuck around on the show. I know Seth Green decided to leave of his own accord, but I would have loved to see some of the later episodes with a succinct Oz commentary in the background.

Plus, I loved his relationship with Willow. I appreciate had he stuck around we may never have experienced the delight that was Willow & Tara, but I wish he could have had his input in later seasons, maybe have him wolf out against the Turok-Han (improbable, unless it was a full moon, but I digress....)

Oz was a total sweetheart. I loved every scene he was in.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I know Seth Green decided to leave of his own accord, but I would have loved to see some of the later episodes with a succinct Oz commentary in the background.
Well, even Xander misses Oz, in "I Was Made to Love You" when he said, 'I miss Oz, he wouldn't say anything, but he'd get it." lol.

maybe have him wolf out against the Turok-Han (improbable, unless it was a full moon, but I digress....)
Yes! I wanted him vs the Turok-Han, classic monsters! It would have been great. I wish we would have had Oz show up in the last season. I wonder what he'd say about Kennedy? ;p lol.

Top Bottom