• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Scoobies Intelligence

TheDarkAvenger

Champion
Sineya
Angel and Wesley take the top here in my opinion. Wesley is basically a walking encyclopedia, and Angel picks up pretty much anything and everything (especially with his eidetic memory). Couple his natural intellect with his unnaturally long life, and he knows a lot. Angel is also shown to be a strategist, wily and cunning even when he's not Angelus. Wesley and Angel individually also know more languages than any other character, even Giles. They are both well educated in the occult as well as other subjects.

Giles follows a ways behind. While Giles is book smart, he also displays common sense.

Willow comes up pretty close on intellect (not knowledge). She's a pretty smart cookie that learns quickly.

As for the other characters; Buffy is not dumb. Sure, she doesn't make the best decisions sometimes, and she can come across as more brawn than brain, but her brain power is spent more on fighting villains than passing arbitrary tests in school (typical intelligence indicators).

Oz is also another smart character. He tests well sure, but his intelligence is more portrayed through his unique perspectives.

I don't really have much to say on the other characters.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
Cordelia -- lazy intellectual.

Oz and Willow definitely have the higher IQs in the scoobies, but Buffy and Cordelia have more street smarts.

Wesley was probably better at memorization than Giles but his emotional intelligence was awful.

Angel actually comes across as one of the least intelligent people in the Buffy verse...all that time on Earth and such little knowledge to show for it? Spike and Drussila seemed a bit sharper. Even Darla, one of the few vampires smart enough to go after Buffy with a gun, seemed a bit brighter than him.

The dumbest person was probably Glory, though she was new to the human thing, so I can cut her some slack.

K
katmobile
I agree with pretty much of all of this bar Angel. Also Wesley's interpersonal int improves but I think his intrapersonal is terrible.

katmobile

Scooby
Ok let's do this in terms of multiple intelligences rather than numbers.

Buffy - has reasonable at least literally intelligence, maths - hmmm not sure I think it's probably ok as she tests ok, she her ability to read people I think is mostly good but she does have blind spots if she's needy like with Parker, she has developed self control and tactical ways of fighting and has the ability to improvise, she is mostly pretty self aware but blames herself too much and sometimes like with season six the pressure of her life breaks her and she makes poor decisions because her ability to reason is compromised.

katmobile

Scooby
Cordelia -- lazy intellectual.

Oz and Willow definitely have the higher IQs in the scoobies, but Buffy and Cordelia have more street smarts.

Wesley was probably better at memorization than Giles but his emotional intelligence was awful.

Angel actually comes across as one of the least intelligent people in the Buffy verse...all that time on Earth and such little knowledge to show for it? Spike and Drussila seemed a bit sharper. Even Darla, one of the few vampires smart enough to go after Buffy with a gun, seemed a bit brighter than him.

The dumbest person was probably Glory, though she was new to the human thing, so I can cut her some slack.
I disagree about Angel - he can be perceptive and I think his interpersonal intelligence is quite high but what he lacks is intrapersonal int I don't think he understands himself very well and ergo he ends up being blindsided when others make him angry or upset. When he goes undercover he proves to have good acting skills. She proves he's acknowledgeable about art as well as being a talented artist himself. He has a good tactical brain and an exceptional visual memory.

katmobile

Scooby
Ok on the scale of multiple intelligences -

Buffy - good verbal skills, however spacial awareness is a factor and I think like Spike and Angel she isn't just a good fighter but good at being aware of the space she's in and her environment and how she can use it, she has kinesthetic genius and can fight with efficiency and grace. I think there's an arguement Spike falls for her because of her skill as a fighter. Interpersonal - leadership - mixed, ability to nurture relationships - check mostly, resolve conflicts - no, social analysis - yes

Willow - verbal and maths/logical - very high, her spacial is reasonable I think - her use of a levitating pencil to stake a vamp shows she understands her environment, interpersonal - leadership - actually good, ability to nurture relationships - yes, resolve conflicts - I'd say no, social analysis - I think yes. Her intrapersonal int - I don't think is great - she handles her own emotions badly especially grief and anger and doesn't seem aware of them at times.

Xander - is not good in school which indicate low verbal and maths/logical skills but there's an interesting story in Tales of the Slayer in which the Scoobies go back in time and Xander having worked in the building trade gets maths better because he has a model through which he can understand it, spacial - I think is quite good - he's a talented builder and a reasonable back up fighter, kinesthetic - I think is ok actually, interpersonal - leadership - nope, maintain relationships - mixed, resolve conflicts - no he's terrible and a lot of his worst moments are him starting and escalating conflicts, social analysis - hmm mixed and variable - there are times when his blindspots mean he can't read a room, intrapersonal - it gets better but he remains unaware of his own blindspots and it takes him a long time to really understand and tackle his issues - he ends up realising the work he needs to do and needs up seeing a therapist.

Top Bottom