• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 2: Your views, before and now

Season 2: Your views, before and now

• Still love it

• Still like it

• Still dislike it

• Still hate it

• Loved it, now like it

• Loved it, now dislike it

• Loved it, now hate it

• Liked it, now love it

• Liked it, now hated it

• Disliked it, now love it

• Disliked it, now like it

• Disliked it, now hate it

• Hated it, now love it

• Hated it, now like it

• Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
Season 2 of Buffy = the best TV out there and Joss at his best!

For "Innocence" alone, I absolutely love the season. That episode is one of the most masterly episodes in the entire show (up there with OMWF, Becoming, Passion, The Gift, etc). I get sucked in every single time I watch it and I feel all that heartbreak all over again. And I've seen it a lot of times!

And then add in Becoming, and just for those episodes the season is stellar.

I really like many of the other episodes, too, like When She Was Bad (yeah, I like it), Lie to Me, Halloween, Killed By Death, Passion, What's My Line, and School Hard. The season's got some clunkers but all in all it's pretty strong. And that Angelus arc is perfectly done, IMO, and is more gutwrenching than most of the other season-long arcs.

Ive always liked season 2 but never loved it. I appreciate the foundation it layed for the show to build on, but it isn't without its flaws. I think here are a few things I think could have been handled differently that would have made it a little more solid.

Quality of the MOW episodes
A lot of the monster of the week episodes felt very weak this season and almost like they were still in the mindset of season 1. They either relied too heavily on the school setting, felt like direct homage to horror films without much added to it, or a mix of both of those things. (Go Fish, Killed by Death, Bad Eggs, Some Assembly Required, and Inca Mummy Girl are all guilty of this to some extent)

Consistency between plot and MOW episodes.
For comparison, I think Season 3 was really good at the consistency level and came out the gate pretty confident. It had a pace that often felt fast because it bounced between plot and filler with ease and utilized the characters well. I think the best example of season 2 episodes that do this are Lie to Me and I Only Have Eyes for You. Unfortunately you have moments during the second half like Killed By Death and Go Fish which feel pointless so close to the finale.

Angel’s soul
I think the nature of Angel’s curse and how he turns into Angelus has been one of the biggest things that have been called into question over the course of both series. One way I think this could be solved is rewriting how the events of that unfolded. The set up could be the same where you have the Romani people wanting to curse him for his bad deeds so they began a ritual to do so, but it’s interrupted by Darla who would save him and kill the people trying to curse him. This would result in a botched version of the curse where Angel would be ensouled by accident with the “moment of happiness” unwanted trigger of the people who cursed him. Because the information of how to do the proper curse would have been lost, Jenny and her people would have to settle for making sure Angel suffered until they found a way to properly curse him.

Foreshadowing Jenny Calendar’s backstory
Speaking of Jenny, it would have been nice to have allusions to her Romani past set up in the early half of the season, more specifically the mid season finale two parter. You could set it up in a way that she displays suspicious behavior and potentially can’t be trusted to give the audience something to ponder about until the reveal in Innocence.

Foreshadowing Acatahla and changing the apocalyptic ritual
Another thing that could have been foreshadowed was the plot point of Acathala. Drusilla was known to have visions so it would be easy during the first half of the season she was sick to have her call out the name “Acathala” and speak about it to the audience in a way we would think would be random rambling. From there you could actually introduce early in the second half where they steal it and try to discover its secrets and they would gradually do so up until the finale.

I also feel like the ritual itself with Acathala also could have been changed to be less apocalyptic simply because sending the earth to hell didn’t feel necessary. The stakes of the ritual still could have been high and involved gathering people in Sunnydale as sacrifices which would be in exchange for an extreme amount of power for whoever did the ritual, with the only way to reverse it to stab the person who was set to inherit the power into the stone and would send them away into an alternate dimension. This would still paint Angelus as a threat and have a sense of urgency to where Buffy would have to choose to sacrifice her boyfriend for innocent people.

Whistler
There are two things I think could have been done with this character. They could have him set up earlier than Becoming or remove him all together. I’m leaning toward the latter because I feel he didn't really add much and I think it’d already be crowded in terms of characters.

Kendra
The first thing that has to be addressed is the accent. It just wasn't very good and didn't do the character any favors so I definitely think the character should have had no type of accent. Aside from that, I feel like there was a missed opportunity to add someone to the group that had an experience Buffy could relate to. It’d have been a nice contrast to the Faith relationship that would take place later and it would also build her up more as a character so that her death in the finale had more meaning.

Bangel
Obviously this relationship was necessary for the main arc, but I think the melodramatic nature of it could have been toned down just a little

The Mayor
This is a minor thing and not even necessarily a flaw, but would have made for some cool world building. Imagine a couple of appearances of the Mayor in the season before as some foreshadowing of things to come. He could have appeared in some filler episodes, but nothing too big to affect or distract the other things going on with the main arc.

Though non-canon, I did like One Thing Or Your Mother in how it revealed Snyder's backstory and his relationship with the Mayor, and also included how the Mayor was watching and manipulating Buffy in season 2 to get rid of rivals of his and help "keep order" though he does send some assassin (a human that uses seduction and poison, IIRC, though he didn't count on Angelus becoming jealous of someone else tormenting HIS girl, and if it hurt Buffy to hurt him then so much the better) after her near the end because he thinks Buffy is too much of a wild card that he doesn't want around for the Ascension. It also explored the relationship between Angelus/Spike/Dru more and gave Spike yet another reason to hate Angelus. I'd have loved for the events of that novel to be incorporated into season 2, though I don't see how they could come up with enough space for it without getting rid of some other episodes that I actually like (though plenty of others would be happy to be rid of them).

Though non-canon, I did like One Thing Or Your Mother in how it revealed Snyder's backstory and his relationship with the Mayor, and also included how the Mayor was watching and manipulating Buffy in season 2 to get rid of rivals of his and help "keep order" though he does send some assassin (a human that uses seduction and poison, IIRC, though he didn't count on Angelus becoming jealous of someone else tormenting HIS girl, and if it hurt Buffy to hurt him then so much the better) after her near the end because he thinks Buffy is too much of a wild card that he doesn't want around for the Ascension. It also explored the relationship between Angelus/Spike/Dru more and gave Spike yet another reason to hate Angelus. I'd have loved for the events of that novel to be incorporated into season 2, though I don't see how they could come up with enough space for it without getting rid of some other episodes that I actually like (though plenty of others would be happy to be rid of them).
Since the story is non cannon, did it establish Snyder's knowledge of the supernatural world in a different way? because in season 3 he was clueless.

The idea of the Mayor manipulating events in season 2 and playing the background is really interesting. I don't think the main plot episodes would have to have been removed for that though. Unless the episodes you're referring to are filler

Since the story is non cannon, did it establish Snyder's knowledge of the supernatural world in a different way? because in season 3 he was clueless.

The idea of the Mayor manipulating events in season 2 and playing the background is really interesting. I don't think the main plot episodes would have to have been removed for that though. Unless the episodes you're referring to are filler
He wasn't clueless, he was discrete (though it's a bizarre scene where he and security guards lock themselves in a room where Willow is being traded for the box, but that was bizarre no matter what he did or did not know). In season 2 he knows about the vampires, and tells Buffy later that the police of Sunnydale are deeply stupid. And in season 3, the Mayor tells Snyder that they've both seen "all sorts of thing" (and that it's important to keep it under control). The book builds on that. While we don't see Snyder flaunting what he knows and doesn't much in 2 or at all in 3, I would not say he's clueless.

Always been one of my favourites. Has some of the best episodes and the Angelus arc maybe the best arc of the show. Having said that, the lows are lower than most seasons, but I can forgive them for the good stuff.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel - Spuffy ♥
Watched again season 2 because it was weekly in the television. Always two to three episodes. I liked the season so far but now I am glad to have finish watching it. It was way to much drama, hurt and destructive feelings.

The Angelus Saga is the reason we we're all sold on this show. Whatever pacing or casting issues season 4 has, whenever Season 5 becomes incomprehensible, whenever season six becomes a anti-drug psa, whenever season 7 treads water between Christmas and Saint Patrick's, we can all think back to "Old Passions" and remember why we keep watching this show. Season 2 is why we fell in love with Buffy.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel - Spuffy ♥
When Buffy was the first time on TV, I was way too young to form an opinion. I also have to confess, I'm not a big fan of season 2. There are also a few good episodes I don't enjoy everything. I need to force me through the last half of the season.

When Buffy was the first time on TV, I was way too young to form an opinion. I also have to confess, I'm not a big fan of season 2. There are also a few good episodes I don't enjoy everything. I need to force me through the last half of the season.
I think of the first half of season 2 as a carry over from season 1. Its from the mid-season point (around What's My Line?) onwards that we start to get to the really great stuff.

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
How did you feel about Buffy Season 2 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.
no it is still great it is still one of the saddest seasons ever Buffy get hurt Willow crying over ms calendar still makes me cry today and the episode when Angel hurts buffy still sad,and Finally when Buffy beats up Giles after he try to kill angel that still is sad for me today.

SES SA

Potential
Still my favourite Buffy season, but episodes like 'Go Fish' are more noticeable. I did not think about them at all at the time but now they stand out like a sore thumb when compared to episodes like 'Becoming'.

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love season 2, however I found Angelus to be built up too much, when actually he didn't do all that much. I think had Spike been out of the wheelchair earlier it would have been better.