• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 2: Your views, before and now

Season 2: Your views, before and now

• Still love it

• Still like it

• Still dislike it

• Still hate it

• Loved it, now like it

• Loved it, now dislike it

• Loved it, now hate it

• Liked it, now love it

• Liked it, now hated it

• Disliked it, now love it

• Disliked it, now like it

• Disliked it, now hate it

• Hated it, now love it

• Hated it, now like it

• Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
It is still my favourite season.

Yes, without a doubt, series 3 has the most consistently best run of episodes throughout BUT series 2 arc with the emergence of Angelus was just phenomenal writing and a game changer for the whole show. Such a major impact on BVTS and what it could bring.
Plus the climate with the 2 parter season finale and Buffy HAVING TO kill Angel and not Angelus. Well it was a corker of a scene. Gut wrenching. And the end with Buffy leaving Sunnydale so destroyed and broken. Only series 5 finale had been feeling the same way.

So yeah, just adore series 2 and as a BAngel fan, I of course loved all the build up with their love story in this first half of the season until the end of Surprise.

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
This is me, exactly.

Btvs fan

Potential
It is still my favourite season.

Yes, without a doubt, series 3 has the most consistently best run of episodes throughout BUT series 2 arc with the emergence of Angelus was just phenomenal writing and a game changer for the whole show. Such a major impact on BVTS and what it could bring.
Plus the climate with the 2 parter season finale and Buffy HAVING TO kill Angel and not Angelus. Well it was a corker of a scene. Gut wrenching. And the end with Buffy leaving Sunnydale so destroyed and broken. Only series 5 finale had been feeling the same way.

So yeah, just adore series 2 and as a BAngel fan, I of course loved all the build up with their love story in this first half of the season until the end of Surprise.
I'm not Bangel but I agree with you. It's the best seasonal arc on the show with the best metaphor, the boy who does not call.
I think Jenny's murder really helped because up until that point all, the big bads didn't really do anything. Angel killing the odd redshirt like the girl in Phases, whose meant to be Buffys friend (I can't even remember her name) , whose not referenced before or after this episode, doesn't work. Jenny though while not a regular was a reoccurring character and we the audience knew and liked her. So when you hear Willows No and tears on the phone and Buffys look of shock, you could feel it plus Angelus looking in and smiling at it was really horrific to watch.

You mentioned S5 as a comparison but besides torture Spike and brain suck Tara, Glory doesn't really do much at all and Tara gets her mind back anyway. Side note I actually felt kind of bad for the rest of the Crazies, so I guess Willow wasn't gonna try that with the rest of them then 🤷‍♂️

Anyway I'm getting off track but yeah I agree with you that it's the best seasonal arc. S3 was good and the Mayor/Faith was arguably the most enjoyable villain but there were issues with it.

vampmogs

Townie
It's my favourite season. Overall, I think Season 3 and Season 5 are more consistent quality-wise but, IMO, Season 2's highs are unparalleled by any other season. I think the Angelus arc is the best arc of the Buffyverse, period. Season 3 is really great but despite loving Faith I don't think it's arc packs the same emotional punch that Season 2 did and whilst Season 5's arc does have some real emotional heft to it, I think the Angelus arc is the best example of the series using metaphor to tell emotionally resonant and relatable stories. Season 5 also has some minor things about that I don't enjoy (the Knights of Byzantium, Glory's Hobbits With Leprosy, too much time spent at the hospital, that weird orange-y tint) so Season 2 edges it out on the front, IMO.

Season 2 contains my favourite episode of the Buffyverse - "Innocence." It was, quite literally, "Buffy" at it's peak (the highest rated episode of the show) and I think it's just damn perfect. It's the epitome of what "Buffy" is to me. It also has a slew of outstanding episodes ("Lie to Me", "Innocence", "Passion", "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Becoming") that put any other season to shame and I also love that it still contains some truly wonderful MotW episodes ("Inca Mummy Girl" "Halloween" and "B,B&B") which I love. It balances heartbreaking drama with good old-fashioned fun. The characters are still so likeable, the group dynamics are incredibly well-written and explored (seriously Season 2 has so many different triangles going on - Buffy/Xander/Willow, Buffy/Xander/Angel, Willow/Xander/Oz, Willow/Xander/Cordy, Buffy/Drusilla/Angel, Angel/Spike/Drusilla etc) and the characters are all consistently given a lot to do in the major episodes. One of my main issues of later seasons is that the writers either become incapable or unwilling to include all the characters in the plots and the episodes tend to become myopically focused on only 2-3 characters per episode whilst everyone is given nothing to do.

Whenever I think of "Buffy" I think of Season 2. I still adore the series but I do think it's fair to say that the series peaked with this season.

B
Btvs fan
I agree with most of what you say except for Inca Mummy Girl. Im not a fan of that episode
EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Lol @ 'leprosy hobbits' - I'm gonna use that from now on XD
Top Bottom