• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 3: Your views, before and now

Season 3: Your views, before and now

• Still love it

• Still like it

• Still dislike it

• Still hate it

• Loved it, now like it

• Loved it, now dislike it

• Loved it, now hate it

• Liked it, now love it

• Liked it, now dislike it

• Liked it, now hate it

• Disliked it, now love it

• Disliked it, now like it

• Disliked it, now hate it

• Hated it, now love it

• Hated it, now like it

• Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.

matt124

Potential
How did you feel about Buffy Season 3 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

For me. My opinion hasn't really changed on season 3. I still love it today as I did then.

Looking on it now, I noticed but how much I loved the entire season. Unlike other seasons, there isn't really many true terrible episodes. Season 3 might be the only season with very little non-standalone's that are not connected to the main story in the entire series. Really the only filler episodes are Band Candy, Gingerbread, The Zeppo and Earshot. Everything is important to the season arcs.

Loved the Faith story and the Mayor as a villain.

Love the way they handle Buffy/Angel's ending to their relationship and parting ways.

Liked Giles being fired, Wesley coming in and the two of them.

The only parts of the season I actually really dislike was the whole Willow/Xander thing. Also hated how Cordelia just reverts back to her old self after Xander cheated on her, I can't blame her. But it felt like she really just let it go, we only got The Wish to have her deal with her feelings. Then she suddenly just moved on. Also she didn't get closure, she just left and that was it. No mention in the first episode of season 4 on where she was in passing.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
The first time I watched this season, like last year lol, I think I liked it more than I loved it. I love the Bangel parts and a lot of the episodes (like Amends and GD), but I've never liked Faith on Buffy, which seriously harms one's enjoyment of this season.

The second time I watched half of it, I began to realize that this season is very aimless and that there isn't much of a plot with the Mayor. The season has good episodes, but Faith, Hope & Trick, Homecoming, Band Candy, Revelations are only good and not great imo. Most fans love those episodes as well as Bad Girls and Choices, while I think these episodes are weak.
I agree with the popular opinion that season 3 is consistently strong, but overall, the season lacks in storytelling, emotion, uniqueness. It actually doesn't come close to season 2 in all its well conceived glory, although the characters mature considerably and it's more polished.

I find this season a lot overrated. It doesn't achieve some of what it tries to do imo: the Buffy vs. Faith comparison, Faith's dark descent, and I find it kind of empty instead of full like a lot of fans.

Still, it's a great season with lots of greatness and the last season of Buffy I truly enjoy. So, I guess I still like it.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
Best season when it comes to the quality of the average episode. There's not a single bad one. I still love it, of course.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is the season that got me into Buffu. Loved it then, love it more now.

Sineya
This is the season where it all came together. Other than Dead Man's Party, there are no clunkers or throwaways here. The mood is still optimistic, the characters are not drained of their energy and the finale shows Buffy at her best, generating a plan and executing it with no need for MacGuffins - a stark contrast with Season 7 where the finale is loaded with MacGuffins (scythe and medallion). There is a season-long arc and a Big Bad who is a credible threat and Faith shows up to sweeten the deal. This is the best season of Buffy.

I voted love it, now like it again, for pretty much the same reasons as S2 (teenagers/high school).
Again, I really love S3, but just for the sake of the poll, I chose like it. I think S3 is pretty much perfect in regards to what makes a high school Buffy season work, but it's got a few problems imo. Namely, Faith is barely in it until the very end. I remember her being a major part of the show the whole time, but she really doesn't get much to do until Bad Girls. The Mayor really doesn't get that much screen time either. I would've preferred more slowly growing character development, rather than pushing it all to the back half of the season.

The only reason I'm being mostly negative is because the rest of you have done such a good job at pointing out the positives, that it would be redundant of me. Obviously S3 is a simply great season of television.

It's a really solid season. Probably the most solid season of Buffy regarding the main story arc and character growth (except for Cordy who seemed to digress)
I still enjoy season 2 more. It had higher highs but lower lows, where as s3 is pretty consistent. I just prefer the storyline in s2 to s3, but objectively speaking s3 was the most consistent which usually means better TV.

Still love it

It's my favorite season even though I prefer the season 2 arc. The amount of episodes in that season that make my favorite episodes list is crazy.

I love the addition of Faith and Buffy's relationship with her is captivating.

I loved the way they set up AtS with Bangel and Angel's departure, the way the scoobies start thinking about their future, making decisions, etc.

It being the last year of HS makes it a very nostalgic season for me and them blowing up the school is the perfect ending to a near perfect season.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Liked it, now love it. It's my fave.
The reason I only liked it before is because- the first time I watched it- I didn't appreciate Faith or The Mayor properly. Faith because she seemed- at first glance- a stock character there to eventually just go evil and fight Buffy; its only during subsequent viewings that I saw that she was much more than that, and how well it was all set up very early on.
With The Mayor it was a bit more complicated; he wasn't intimidating, scary or cool on the surface like the previous villains, his villainy is a lot more subtle and perfectly reflects the themes of the season; the defiance of corrupt authority/patriarchy.

Obviously I always loved all the Buffy/scoobie stuff, the way each of them gets a key episode or two to really shine.
There are a few minor things that bug (Cordelia's regression, Xander/Willow, some of the Bangel back and forth) me but its packed with so much good stuff, and overall the central plot of Buffy and Faith works a lot better than the previous Angelus arc, at least dramatically speaking.

AnthonyCordova

The ooze that eats itself
Sineya
Right, it's hard to find a negative thing to say about it. I too have grown to appreciate Faith especially for what she offers, which seems a little less forced here than in following seasons of Btvs and Ats. The Buffy-Faith arc is dramatic and interesting, and so many of the series very best episodes come from this season. I find the mayor to be Btvs best villain also.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I've always found season 3 to be consistent, enjoyable, fun, yet a tad bit overrated. It's just me, I guess. One of the reasons why season 6 is my favorite season isn't because every single episode is gold, but because it took more risks and aimed a little higher than any season of any television that I've seen (yet). Don't get me wrong, Faith is one of my top favorite characters, the Mayor is a hoot, and everything seemed to work for this season...except that it didn't make me feel anything. Season 3 is like pizza to me. It's comfort food. Doesn't matter what toppings are on it, (well, I don't love anchovies more than all the other fishes), but it's still pizza, so it's still good. But if I ever need my soul rearranged, torn apart, and put back together again, I don't have a food analogy for that one, but season 6 does that to me. Haha! So season 3 will always be a strong like.

Jeff86

Potential
Season 3 has always been my favorite. The consistent quality of the episodes is tremendous. I also love the Faith/Buffy dynamic, how Buffy could have been like Faith if she had made different choices and had no support system around her.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I feel like this season is the most consistent. Every episode is great. Even the less liked ones like Dead Man's Party and Gingerbread I think are good. This season also has the most underrated episodes: Anne and Helpless.

Top Bottom