1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Season 3: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by matt124, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Season 3: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Angel Season 3 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Much like S4. Parts I like and parts I hate. More neutral leaning towards dislike.

3. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    It took time to start appreciating this season. Now, I really enjoy watching it :)

4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I voted for still dislike it, because I can't say that I hate an Angel season. Goes against my instincts, though I strongly hate large portions of this season. I initially hated the season with all of me, but now just dislike it, because I only watch the good parts and forget about everything else.

It's easier to talk about what I don't like in s3, than what I do like, so I'll start with the good parts of it.
    - The Darla arc was excellent. I always saw Darla as someone who in her vampire life struggled to have, not only the power and respect she never had in her human life, but also the love she never felt or had as a human. Darla chose Liam carefully to be her mate for all of eternity. She wanted someone like her, who would challenge her and enjoy what she did, someone who admired and desired her. She never wanted to feel love, much like Angelus, because it was a human emotion that made people weak. However, when she lost him and found no replacement to what Angelus had brought to her life, she subscribes to the idea of love. Interestingly, her "grief" which was the loss of someone who gave her part of what she wanted, but now felt sorry for her, altered the way she saw their relationship. Without Angelus, she was back to being a lackey for the Master, with no one to fear and admire her. Her inability to cope with Angel's turn, and understand how her life had changed, made her delusional. Now that she had been rejected and Angel loved Buffy, she demanded love for herself - a love she previously denied feeling. In both Buffy and Angel season 2, Darla tries to destroy Angel for not "loving" her like he used to. Darla and Angelus were perfectly well matched, but Angel and Darla are miles apart no matter how alike they can be. That's the tragedy of their relationship. She can't understand who Angel is anymore and he can't understand why, even with a soul, she wanted to be a vampire. The beauty of Darla in Lullaby is that for the first time in 400 years she feels love. She understands what it's like to love and that love doesn't demand for her feelings to be returned. She loves selflessly and gives up her life for her baby. I couldn't wish for a better ending for her character. She finally abdicates her life and her power but feels truly content for once. And adding to the tragedy, Angel and Darla finally share something real and understand each other, and Darla dies.
    Sorry, but I find Angel and Darla, individually and apart. fascinating...
    - The Wesley arc - I mean the Loyalty/Sleep Tight/Forgiving was pretty decent.
    - Teenage Connor's arc was great too - A New World and Benediction were excellent.

The bad - everything else:
    - I have no words to describe how awful the attempt to pair up Cordelia and Angel were - only rants but I won't do another one.
    - Dorky Angel was gag inducing.
    - Saint Cordelia was too.
    - All the love triangles tested my patience.
    - The episodes were boring and not much happened.
    - Holtz was underutilized.
    - Tomorrow was a terrible finale.
    - And everything else I failed to mention (with the exception of Heartthrob) sucked too.

The Bronze, GraceK and thetopher like this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Episodes 1-6 were all really good, true to Angel quality of the previous seasons.

6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I disagree.
    - That Old Vision Thing is all about Cordelia lying in bed and being all sick and tortured by the visions, just so Angel can save her. It's a set up for Cangel and for demon Cordelia - both of which I hate.
    - That Old Gang of Mine is something I barely remember, but I think it was boring - I remember FF through a lot of it.
    - Carpe Noctem is an episode I haven't been able to watch in its entirety. We have: the Fred/Angel plot, Cordelia giving Angel advice like he's a 5 yr old (+ him acting like a 5 year old), gratuitous almost sex because Angel isn't really Angel, Fred crying, and just overall absurdity and lameness. No thanks.
    - Fredless - another boring episode with dorky!Angel and giggly, cutesy Fred...
    - Billy - an episode about men having natural, internal misogynistic impulses and Cordelia being such a feminist badass that she tells Lilah off for not defending herself. Because, hey, strong women aren't abused!! (Sarcasm! Cordelia's views on "strong women" can only have been written by men).

So no, I think all of these episodes are way bellow the usual quality of Angel. They have the quality of the worst episodes of season 2. You can compare First Impressions to That Old Gang of Mine, Billy to Untouched. Fredless is like Disharmony in terms of character centric episodes...

GraceK and thetopher like this.
  7. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Omg I hate That old gang of mine...it's almost unwatchable because they are so unlikeable. I despise villians that are one dimensional .I like to LIKE my villains :)

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Dislike then and now. Fortunately the "Gee, I'm a dad!" phase with Angel is over mercifully quick but the rest of the story is just a turgid pile of crap. No one is likeable here and I have repressed most of the stories because they are so lame.

9. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Cordelia's words: "It's not the pain. It's the helplessness. The certainty that there is nothing you can do to stop it, that your life can be thrown away in an instant by someone else. He doesn't care. He'll beat you down until you stay down because he doesn't even *think* of you as alive. - No woman should ever have to go through that, and no woman strong enough to wear the mantel of 'vicious bitch' would ever put up with it. - *Where* is Billy going?"

That's not saying if you weren't able to prevent it then you deserved it. She was saying Lilah should want her revenge both for its own sake, and to make sure it can never happen to her again. Cordelia was also trying to get Lilah to talk in ways similar to how Angel got Lilah to open up against corporate orders in other episodes.

And telling Cordy where to find Billy so she could kill him is about as "bad ass" as calling the cops to put him in jail (if Cordelia was going to do more than put him in jail, it was because no jail could contain Billy's power, and probably not Billy either). Granted, Lilah takes matters into her own hands (probably furious that Cordelia would do it instead of her), but it wasn't Cordy telling her she should've opened a can of whoop ass on Gavin, but to tell her where Billy was so that Cordelia herself could end him. Lilah can still be called a victim by those who want all women labeled as that, but the dialog of Buffy/Angel gets twisted by ideologues (especially those who don't like a man intruding into "their" political territory) too much as it is.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    This is the first season of Angel that I watched when it was airing and at the time I loved it, more than Buffy. But after years I rewatched it on Netflix and did not like it at all. On my second rewatch I actually came out liking it more but not by much. My main problem is that I don't like Holtz and I don't the Angel and Cordy love thing. But there's some good episodes in this season, Lilah is great and we get the beginning of dark Wesley. And the return of Darla!

11. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I picked love it, now like it. I guess I overestimated some parts in hindsight because my excited teenage brain wanted more Angel. It splits me down the middle. I love the Wesley and Lilah scenes and all of Holtz/Justine/Connor, but I could do without the awkward incestuousness of Cangel and Fred's annoying qualities that left after season 3.

GwenRaiden and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  12. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Season 3 is like the opposite of Buffy season 4; a very strong arc involving Darla, baby Connor, Wesley and Holtz weaves its way through the season very effectively in nice satisfying chunks. The only real problem I have with them is the plot seems stretched rather thin in places. Oh, and there's also 'Dad'.

But a lot of the stand alones are just really weak; That Vision Thing (nonsensical), Old Gang Of Mine (Gunn is out of character), Carpe Noctem, Provider (just bad), Birthday, Couplet, Double Or Nothing, The Price. These are all- whilst not exactly terrible- lacking the polish and depth of the previous season.
    I suppose this is Angel at its lightest and soapy-ist (what with all the relationship angst), to contrast with the depression of Buffy Season 6 (and that does give it an extra lift actually) but on the whole I always rate this as the most disappointing season of Angel.

13. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    Nothing special about this season, it's just OK.

Replacing Wes with Groo felt wrong, Cangel is not my cup of tea and W&H are not as strong of a presence.

I did like Fred and Gunn thought, and baby Connor was cute :)