1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Season 4 is judged way too harshly

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Wight Space, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Wight Space

Wight Space Townie

Season 4 is what got me into Buffy in the first place. Episodes like Hush and Pangs really hooked me to the show. I can't imagine how much funnier it would have been for me if I was more familiar with Spike when he had to be sheltered by the scoobies, and especially having to be Xanders roommate, but alas I had missed the first three seasons. Also, I know there's a lot of Riley hate, and I understand he's not as exciting as a character as Angel, but he was one of the best things to ever happen to Buffy. All I know if, if it wasn't for season 4, I never would have bothered to seek out the first three seasons and become such a fan.

Geobubbles, GwenRaiden and Guy like this.
  2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I always think Season 4 is a grower. I like it much more on re-watches than I did first time around. It was quite jarring to begin with because of the big change of scenery and we also lost Oz, Cordy & Angel. Once you get used to that though the season has loads to offer and is up there as one of the strongest for one off episodes and light hearted humour. It suffers because The Initiative and Adam aren't great for the season long arc and big bad.

Hunga Munga likes this.
  3. Wight Space

Wight Space Townie

I might have felt the same way as you if I watched the show from the beginning, but I will take season over 5-7 anytime. Not that I dont like those seasons, but 4 has more memorable episodes to me.

4. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    S4 is tied with S5 as my favourite season of BtVS. I love it.

5. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?

Season four does have a lot of good moments, but it is one of my least favorite seasons. I think it is because I saw the first three seasons first and when I watched season four it just couldn't compare in my opinion. I didn't really care for the initiative storyline and Adam as the Big Bad. I just remember being really disappointed after how great season two and three were. While having Spike around again was great and he was really funny, I felt like that's when his character slowly started to lose its quality since he couldn't do anything evil anymore and they didn't give him much to do that season. At least in the second half of the next season they had him doing things that added to his redemption arc so that he was doing something (but Spuffy is when his character really started to lose its quality for me). That being said, there are good things in the season and good episodes (the Faith episodes in particular I really loved). And if it's your favorite season, that's totally cool as everyone has different opinions. :)

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  6. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Personally, i was unhappy with the execution of the initiative and Adam. Which was a major thing/plot/whatever of Season 4. True season four had some amazing episodes. But the climax of the season is what drives my hate for certain parts of season 4. I can still remember, after finally getting my friend (male) to give Buffy a chance, and after finally getting him hooked off of season 3. Only to have him come to me and ask,

"Rider. What the **** was that? Why is Buffy facing demonic Optimus Prime? And how does super sayian Buffy turn bullets into doves?' (i am aware now of the essence of Willow doing that part, but i don't believe it was explained in the show. Correct me if i'm wrong.). To be honest, it was funny how we were able to after joke around and use that bullets into dove thing for other jokes. But it turned him completely off from the show. And he never gave Angel a chance.

7. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

It's definitely not my favorite season but it's in the middle for me so I don't find it as weak as most people.

I think it has a lot of standout episodes and some of the funniest.
    It's my favorite season for Willow, Spike and Giles.
    It also captures the college life pretty well in my opinion.

I think it suffers from a weak season arc but I still love it nonetheless because it has many of my favorite episodes to rewatch and so light compared to the rest of post high school btvs.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  8. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Season 4 is up there with my favourites. I find it hard to order the seasons by favourite, but I really enjoy season 4. I think it has well laid out character arcs, for almost every character, and it has some amazing standalone episodes. Sure, The Iniative wasn't executed as well as it could be, but I loved the theme of magic vs science and the hubris of government in trying to control what Buffy has been fighting all these years. I even like Adam. He didn't come across like a big bad but I don't think he was meant to be, so I wasn't disappointed in that regard.

DeadlyDuo and GwenRaiden like this.
  9. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    I don't think anyone has ever denied that season 4 has some great episodes, I think it's just the main arc (The Initiative and Adam) that people aren't crazy about.

Personally I like the college setting, a lot of the character development and many of the episodes. I don't love Riley, but I certainly don't hate him either. I do think the Initiative and Adam had a lot of potential that could have been executed better (Adam especially), but it doesn't ruin the season for me or anything.

10. Wight Space

Wight Space Townie

I like the whole idea of the Initiative. It makes sense the government would know about the supernatural threat and want to control it somehow. Maybe it could have been handled better but I wouldn't mind doing seeing more of that part of the world. I guess that's why I partly have the SES on my Web series. I'm fascinated in seeing how governments respond to such strange events.

11. LeeJones41

LeeJones41 Townie

Haven't other supernatural TV shows done their own versions of the Initiative? I know that "CHARMED" did during its last season.

Is there anyone who suspects that the reason why Season Four is deemed "weak" because it was the first in which Buffy's romance with Angel was not prominent? Or barely existed?

12. Wight Space

Wight Space Townie

Could be. But if the price to pay was Angel having his own show, it was worth it. Plus it lead to one of Angel and buffys best episodes together in "I will remember you."

13. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

My main question about season 4 is: Do the government run UC Sunnydale? They had a whole secret base built underneath it, the entrance to which is in one of the dorm houses. It would be odd for a non-affiliated school to have all that and not be aware of it. If the government do run it, why are they running a school where there are lots of civilians running around?

Geobubbles likes this.
  14. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    School is a perfect cover. Lots of people around at all times so no one looks out of place. If someone comes around in uniform, well, that's just someone on the Regular Officer Training Plan. I know one commander in the US Navy who said the first thing the Navy did after making him an officer was to send him to grad school. There has been a strong connection between the military and certain universities so it is unlikely to cause a great deal of curiosity. An underground lab accessible only through a dual-purpose elevator that looks like a normal part of a building is not as far-fetched as you think. When I was in university, I didn't visit all the places on campus, just the ones that were of interest to me so it would have been possible to hide a secret lab. What is interesting is someone at some time excavated the ground for the lab, built the foundations and walls and installed the utilities and these people would remember doing this but they might have been told it was for a physics lab or some such thing. It is hard to believe a large underground structure could have been built unnoticed, but this is Sunnydale, the town where Dracula's castle appeared overnight and no one thought anything about it.

Wight Space and DeadlyDuo like this.