1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 6: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 6: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 6 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Disliked it, now hate it

3. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I hate all of it until Entropy probably. That part I like a bit.

This season is so over the top and unrealistic. It takes itself so seriously with the "grown up" Spuffy bullshit, Buffy's "depression", Willow's "addiction" and all that crap, when, in reality, it's all pretentious nonsense.

Buffy's depression doesn't look like a depression, the fact that everything falls apart at once with no true buildup from season 5 is absurd, the writers try so hard for Buffy and Spike to be shocking and unhealthy, but all they accomplish is amateurish melodrama: You like some demon in your man. You came back wrong. I hate you. I love you. Let's have sex. Let's try to kill each other. I can never trust you. Dawn, go hang out with Spike after he tried to rape me. Ugh...gag me.

I find that this season is more exciting than s5 and s7 though. And the last episodes have some good drama (+cheesy dark!Willow...).

The first time I watch season 6 I skipped through a lot of it. Now, I like it more. I just dislike it lol.

thrasherpix, thetopher and GraceK like this.
  4. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    The only part of the season that remotely felt "Buffyish" was Warren and the Trio. There were but a few episodes that are even worth watching. After Life, Life Serial, Gone, Older & Far Away.

5. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    I voted hated it to liked it. But I don't really like it...I just don't hate it as much as I initially did.

Dora likes this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I'd love to know the what changed for the person who disliked it but now loves it

7. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    The only thing I truly hate about season 6 is spuffy, but apart from that I feel indifferent about the almost the whole season

WillowFromBuffy: I need to keep reading to learn why you changed your mind about Spuffy in series 11. I am sorta terrified.
    Dora likes this.
  8. Antho

Antho Scooby

It's me ;). I think my opinion has evolved at the same time as my age. I discovered the series when I was 8 years old, I can tell you that towards my 13 years old I had probably seen all the series on the television and I probably had the dvd, I don't precisely remember. At that time I did not like season 6, I did not hate it either, but I was young and for me the season was too depressive, I did not understand the actions of the characters, I did not identify myself to them because I was younger and I did not understand what they were living. Season 6 speaks of consequences of acts, of adult life and I did not have this maturity because according to if you are minor or major, you do not see life in the same way. Buffy was my hero and I did not like to see her as weak because it doesn't correspond to the image of a hero. Now that I am older, I have acquired the maturity to understand some things and although I still do not like to see Buffy sinking like that, I understand her better !

Priceless: Thank you for this :-)
  9. Tome

Tome Berktwad

Black Thorn
    Good season. It had some memorable episodes and some emotional moments (e.g., the “Yellow Crayon” speech). However, I always found it a little depressing and The Trio is not too exciting either.

I voted for “still like it”.

10. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I used to like it (I found it edgy and I guess I loved how shocking it was) but now I hate it. I guess I followed the opposite journey in that as I got older, I realized how unrealistic it was and I hate the fact that it's brand is how «adult» the show got with that season. Half of the characters are acting less adult than the previous season, there's a lot of contrived drama and I honestly think it failed at what it tried to accomplish.

Jam: Exactly my thoughts!
    thrasherpix, Dora, Jam and 1 other person like this.
  11. Alara

Alara Townie

On the contrary, I think its very realistic. S6 kind of takes a backseat from the supernatural issues and puts the realism of their humanity in perspective. This season is where we realize that Buffy and her friends are still human and go through the same stuff as us. Addiction, depression, self loathing, etc.

I think why a lot of people hate this season is because it hits too close to home but thats why its my favorite after s5.

Stoney and Priceless like this.
  12. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Liked it then and still like it now. Not sure I love it, but I like it more than I did.

13. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

They tackle real life issues, but in an unrealistic way.

How is Buffy allowed to keep Dawn? How is she paying the rent with a minimum wage salary?

More importantly, how is she overcoming a season long depression without ANY therapy, medication, introspection or even ANY kind of help from anyone, not even her friends?

That whole arc is so unrealistic in the way that it's handled that it's actually insulting.

As for going through the same things as us... I felt that in every other season a lot more than during season 6 (apart from season 7 of course). And I personally relate a lot more to Buffy's depression in season 5 than season 6 but that's personal and I get that other people relate more to season 6. But it's in no way a realistic portrayal of depression. If it was, it wouldn't have been handled like a joke.

dcai0830, Dora, Jam and 5 others like this.
  14. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I used to love S6 for it's messy depressive arcs, but lately I'm very frustrated with a lot of the storylines. A lot of badly executed arcs were done to add more drama in Buffy's life regardless of how stupid they were or how badly they made other characters appear.

1) Buffy's resurrection: I still don't get why Willow didn't want to tell Giles, Spike and Dawn about the resurrection if she was 100% sure Buffy was suffering in hell. Moreover, how dumb were Xander, Tara and Anya not to realize that there's something fishy about Willow not telling the others? Also, how dumb were all four not to realize that Buffy would wake up inside her coffin and would probably suffocate to death? Willow, Xander, Tara and Anya were written as heartless idiots just to make Buffy SUFFER.

2) The whole bills/broke Buffy/no one is lending her a hand financially (except for Giles' one check)/hospital bills sucking all the money... just to make Buffy extra depressed. You'd think the four who dragged her out of heaven would feel obligated to help out. But Buffy needs to SUFFER! Add to that Buffy being able to support herself, Dawn and Willow on a Doublemeat Palace salary.

3) Normal Again: Joyce put Buffy in an asylum to add more drama and sadness to Buffy's already bleak life. Who cares about continuity or Joyce's character as long as Buffy SUFFERS!

Puppet, GraceK, Dora and 5 others like this.
  15. Dora

Dora Potential

Yep the whole depression thing was way over the top, totally unrealistic , nothing going Buffy way ever? Marti Noxous has on her twitter page I ruined Buffy and she is right .....

16. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I'm the vote for liked it, now dislike it. It had a great start with Bargaining parts 1 and 2 - the best beginning yet. Afterlife was good for a scare. But as well as being about depression, it was depressive just watching the rest of the season, except for a few bright spots: All the Way harked back to the monster of the week stories from the high school seasons, Once More with Feeling is my vote for the best episode of the series and Tabula Rasa was fun, but ended as a downer. Then we go through Smashed and Wrecked, destroying the character of Willow. Gone is another fun episode, Doublemeat Palace is a distraction of little value, Dead Things was great, Older and Far Away was as depressing as the concept of never being able to leave can get, As You Were is a throwback with additional stupidity added and it stars Riley - I thought we were rid of that guy. Then we get some of the worst ones: Hell's Bells that destroys Xander's character just as thoroughly as magic addiction destroyed Willow, Normal Again that completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief in the whole Buffyverse, Entropy that saw Anya regain demonhood and Seeing Red which was ill-advised given the demographic although it was not a bad episode in my estimate. Then we had Villains, Two to Go and Grave, much better episodes. But the negatives outweigh the positives in this season so although you can get some of the best episodes, you also get some of the worst.

17. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    I used to love this season, now I think it's just an OK season.

Watching Buffy boinking Spike was just depressing, Willow is an awful character who tries to mess with things that shouldn't be messed with and The Trio are kind of lame.

dcai0830 likes this.
  18. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I like series 6. It is certainly the messiest one, but it takes risks. The drug metaphor is not as bad as people say it is. Stuff happen in the characters' lives. There is a feeling of movement. Some shows are extremely static. I love the Sopranos, but despite the drama, everything on the Sopranos always revert back to the status quo.
    That's one more person off my Christmas list.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 4, 2017 ---
    They wanted her back and they pushed all doubt to the back of their mind. Is it such a crime to miss your best friend?
    Willow, Tara and Xander have probably helped as much as they can. They kept the household running while Buffy was dead. Willow and Tara are likely penniless. Xander has some money, but he has his own mortgage. I'll grant you Giles could have helped more. Buffy is the reason he has an income from the Council. She gets nothing.
    That's not Joyce. The episode is an exploration of the part of Buffy that wishes she was a normal girl with a mum and dad.

Smile Time: I was referring to Willow in season 6. I generally like Willow and think that she had great development over the seasons, but what she did in season 6 was awful.
    Slayerofslayers likes this.
  19. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Missing your best friend is fine. Ripping your best friend out a place she loved and was happy in just because you *missed* her, that's a huge crime in my book.

The least they could do was to pay for Buffy's bills since they brought her back. She didn't want or ask to be brought back. They should have made her life as comfortable as possible since they were the ones who brought her back.

20. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

I loved it then and now. I do think that the show matures as it progresses with the characters. Showing the characters struggling as they face some life challenges and hard times, showing that they can handle things badly and make poor decisions works for me. They're somewhat inevitable experiences at points during growing up and becoming increasingly independent. Seeing the characters face weaknesses in themselves which are continuations of issues we have seen touched on over the years I think was a really good choice for overall character development. Sometimes flaws really bite you hard in tougher times, can make what you are facing a whole heap worse and seeing them facing their own insecurities/weaknesses makes them so much more relatable. I tend to think of S6 and 7 as a pair really. Season 6 deals with the heavy path of everything falling down and then S7 works to follow it and show how they learned from what they had gone through and became stronger.

I love Spike's arc across the shows/comics and S6 is such a key point in his path. It was far better for the coherence of the verse that he was shown to not be a special snowflake vamp that was just now choosing to walk the line and could be totally reliable/trustworthy without a soul. He is individual in the same way all vamps are in the personality and motivations that come from their human selves. But without a soul his choices are inherently affected by being very selfishly driven and limited by his reduced emotional capacities.

I do think there are frustrations in the season. Like Sosa, I've always had a huge issue with the way they forced the financial woes for Buffy. It is my biggest complaint and I think it is unrealistic that she would have ended up in that situation, that she couldn't have found a job which utilised her skills better (teaching self defence or some such), that her academic achievements prior to college couldn't have gotten her into a better entry level position somewhere else, that her friends wouldn't have supported her more or that the council couldn't have been contacted and strong armed into helping (especially considering her command of them in S5 successfully got Giles reinstated and paid more). But it doesn't break the season for me, it is still my favourite for the character paths they explored.

A totally silly aside - it always tickles me when people write 'boink' for sex just because, for me, that is how you'd write the action/noise of a comedy, cartoonish hit on the the head. :D

Living Dead Boy and Priceless like this.