1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 7: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season 7: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 7 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed over the years.

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Liked it, now hate it

3. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Like it, now dislike it.

The first time I watched this season, I was just happy to have something different from season 6. Less drama. However, now I think this season is boring, all that Spike stuff makes me throw up a little and the only episode I truly love is Selfless.

Still, the season isn't hate worthy! More like a moderately intense dislike ;)

S Rou and DarkGoddess like this.
  4. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    Disliked it to hate it. After the initial yay more Buffy wears off and I actually think about the plot.....eh, not a fan.

S Rou, Taake, sosa lola and 1 other person like this.
  5. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Still dislike it. The first seven episodes are worth watching, but the rest nah. There are more bad thing than good in this season. It just doesn't worth the 'final season' status.

S Rou likes this.
  6. Dora

Dora Potential

Like it up to CWDP then dislike all the Spike stuff....

Zenseem: This!!
    S Rou likes this.
  7. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I used to only find it boring and didn't mind it too much. Now I hate it for what it does to Buffy's character and the scoobies. I still enjoy the ending but the season itself leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I think about it.

S Rou likes this.
  8. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I actually was really into season 7 the first Tim me I binged it on Netflix. But having seen it again, I like it less. The middle I really dislike.

S Rou likes this.
  9. matt124

matt124 Potential

I have mixed feelings on the season. I love the first half, hate the second. Only like the end because Faith returns, but over the years I think Chosen ended as best it did. I guess after sitting through so many terrible series finals of shows in the last decade, I have become to appreciate Chosen more and Buffy ended alright.

I just didn't like the Potentials, and wished they all basically died until we ended up with two or three LOL I would of liked if they all just got sent off somewhere and trained off-screen and we didn't see them half the time in Buffy's house. I wanted the focus back on the core characters.

10. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Disliked it, to hate it.

^^ This

It's one of those seasons that just falls apart more and more for me whenever I try to re-watch it.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  11. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    It's just a house of cards. At first glance it's pretty good, with a good positive meaning for the ending. But upon closer examination, the whole thing is wrong. As long as you don't think too much and just accept it as mindless entertainment the season is not that bad.

12. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Another "still dislike it" here. It showed a lot of promise of an expanded horizon with potentials being hunted down in Europe but fell flatter and flatter after that. Still, "Conversations with Dead People" was a great episode and in spite of the inept writing, they managed to pull off a satisfying finale in "Chosen". In spite of all the plot holes, there is a satisfying realization that Buffy will no longer have to carry the weight of her calling alone (or even at all, if she so chose). But what happened with the season? It took off OK, climbed OK (even with "Him", a throwback to the standalones of the first two seasons), then went into a power dive, kicked in the afterburners and somehow managed to refuel on the way down.

The story of the potentials could have worked if they hadn't introduced so many of them at once. They had no story other than being cannon fodder and the Spuffy story metastasized and swallowed everything in its path, especially the concept of the core four. The MacGuffins of the scythe and the medallion had become ridiculous - come on writers, you're supposed to be professionals, not purveyors of this kind of garbage. Caleb should have come in sooner and the First should have been more than, as Buffy called him, the taunter.

GraceK, Dora and thrasherpix like this.
  13. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Loved it, now like it.

This season coasts a lot on nostalgia and the fact that its way better than what came before. It starts well, Buffy, Dawn and Xander are an entertaining draw. Willow's return and the Anya-centric episode are both really good.
    But with the reveal to The First things start to go wrong and then very wrong; the Potentials crowd in too quickly and the Tukon Han is beaten too easily and then there's seasonal drift; it gets very flabby. Then we get 'Get It Done' and 'General Buffy.
    It all perks up when Faith and Caleb roll into town (although Storyteller is very funny) and then episodes get some more drama. Still, when you've got an unlikeably main character, ooc scenes and sub-plots that are actually massive plot-holes (the trigger is the prime example), and lots of eye-rolling Spuffy then yeah, it just wasn't very enjoyable.
    I still like those last two episodes an awful lot; if Buffy had been like that for the last half of the season- having learned from her previous battles- then I would've liked it all a bit more.
    So yeah, like. It tried to end things on a positive note at least.

GraceK likes this.
  14. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This is why despite disliking that season a lot, I still find satisfaction in the way it ended for Buffy and I always feel bad about criticizing it. The ending gave me so much. I just wish the way they got there wasn't this frustrating.

15. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

Disliked it from the first viewing (after the first few episodes which are okaaaay). Upon repeat viewings trying to keep an open mind and give i a chance, I like it less and less, to the point it angers me to watch it. I've pretty much decided I just shouldn't watch season 7.

The only thing I like about the finale is Buffy's "freedom" and her smile at the end in response to "What are we going to do now?" - a question she's never been in a position to be asked before. That's beautiful. But the means to get there, and the whole season in general? Blah.

GraceK and Mylie like this.
  16. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Season7 is the season I barely watch. I own it, but it's rare I'll put it in ...it doesn't even feel like Buffy to me. There are some good standalones, but everything else to me is a different show. Everyone is so not likeable. When you like ANDREW Better than the core four, you know there is a problem. So much character assassination it actually makes me mad. The finale is great, but it's too little to late to salvage the rest of the season. Whenever I do watch it it always me wish the show had ended after season 5.

17. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I was just watching a couple of Buffy action vids and remembered where Spike led Buffy down into a basement (belonging to one of the women he killed) where several vampires come out of the ground and attacked Buffy in a confined space. While I'm not a fan of season 7 (I voted disliked it, now hate it), I would've liked more vampire attacks like that (more or less) in the series.

18. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

Liked it, now dislike it. I still like what the season could've been; bringing the series back to a focus on the slayer line in its final season is very fitting and appropriate! But then just about everything is terribly executed: The complete lack of focus – given in favour to the Potentials and – on the main four is a huge mistake and contradicts the "back to the beginning" theme we're presented in 'Lessons'; The First isn't nearly as frightening as they could be in theory; and list goes on and on.

Season 7 works even less as a follow up to season 6 IMO. First, the resolution to Dark Willow is not satisfying at all and doesn't get the focus it should. And when it does, we get episodes like 'The Killer In Me' which is... not great. Also forgettable. Second, the follow up from the Buffy/Spike relationship and especially the AR, which is barely addressed; the focus is entirely on Spike when it should be on Buffy. There are more but those are the two that annoy me the most.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the character arcs in this season feel more informed than what we're actually presented with, if that makes sense?

Mylie, thetopher and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  19. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Loved it then and love it now. Not a fan of the potentials but that is just one element of the season. Loved Buffy and Spikes relationship development, Giles coming back, beating the first, the creation of lots of slayers because Buffy had always felt so alone. Dawn was best in this season. Anya and Xander realizing love is not always enough. The only problem was all those potentials trying out to be the S8 slayer. None of them were good enough.

TriBel and Priceless like this.
  20. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I liked it, now I love it. I feel very protective over it. I think the potentials are meant to be both us the audience, being empowered by Buffy and the show, but they could also be a Greek Chorus commenting on the actions of the main players, so either way a lack of individual characters doesn't bother me - I don't need or want to know them better.

Of course I love Spuffy in this season. Season 6 was about the coming together of the darkness and the light, of Buffy accepting her dark side (Spike as metaphor), and she has accepted it, which is why she can become the General she has to be, and why she can't let go of Spike, because that would be a step backwards in Buffy's character development.

I like Buffy as the General, and have no problem with her distancing herself from the potentials or scoobies or anyone who threatens her leadership. A General doesn't know the name of everyone in their battalion, she doesn't care about them as individuals, she has to win a war and that's the mission.

Yes the First could have been done better, but I find it easy to just go with it and imagine this is the war to end all wars. Chosen was a fantastic ending, it hits all the right notes, it is the culmination of everyone's story and goes out on a high.

TriBel and GoSpuffy like this.