• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Season 8 Was Awesome (for the most part)

EcilaRetniw

Townie
I really really loved season 8 and how it expanded the buffyverse! That being said, I would say that after the 5th volume it kinda lost it's footing. (also I HATE how they drew Oz). Anyways, what does everyone else think of it? I feel like a lot of Buffy fans hate it but I just don't understand why...

white avenger

white avenger
I was very disappointed that the whole "Buffy and the Immortal in Rome" thing was a hoax. I was really looking forward to seeing what he actually was, plus I was wanting some kind of showdown between him and Angel, Spike, or both. I wanted to see what happened to Dana, and we never got that. I felt really cheated out of a decent Buffy/Spike reunion. I didn't expect any sort of star crossed lovers moment, but there should have at least been more than the, "Oh, hi, Spike. How you been? I need to use your shower to wash all the Angel scent off. Nice space ship, by the way. Cute bugs. You got any hair conditioner?" scene that we got. This was the guy who had her back in Season 7 when everyone else betrayed her, who literally laid down his life for her, and she treats his return like he had just stepped out for groceries.

Beyond those initial complaints, I rather enjoyed Season 8. I knew way in advance who Twilight was, though I think that his motives made no sense whatsoever.

I liked the Dracula arc. Having him be on the side of the good guys, even if it was for his own personal reasons, was a neat twist, and his obvious friendship with Xander was touching.

Joss, himself, admitted that the Season went on too long, and that it was largely because of the only limits to the "effects" was what the artists could convincingly draw. It did allow them to explore multiple story arcs, which was fun.

I couldn't understand the "all is forgiven" ending. Angel had damn near destroyed the world yet again, had, in fact, been directly responsible for hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent lives, and he didn't even have the excuse of losing his soul this time, or being under the unwilling thrall of the First Evil. Angel VOLUNTEERED to be Twilight's equivalent of Caleb, knowing full well what the ultimate plan was. He knew exactly what he was doing. Then he even goes so far as to kill Giles. You don't just walk away from a thing like that.

Of course, I didn't have the reference at that time, but, looking back at it now, I can't help but compare Angel's actions to the latest "Avengers" movie. It's almost like Angel would have fought on Thanos' side, and use the excuse that he was saving half the world's population.

EcilaRetniw

Townie
I was very disappointed that the whole "Buffy and the Immortal in Rome" thing was a hoax. I was really looking forward to seeing what he actually was, plus I was wanting some kind of showdown between him and Angel, Spike, or both. I wanted to see what happened to Dana, and we never got that. I felt really cheated out of a decent Buffy/Spike reunion. I didn't expect any sort of star crossed lovers moment, but there should have at least been more than the, "Oh, hi, Spike. How you been? I need to use your shower to wash all the Angel scent off. Nice space ship, by the way. Cute bugs. You got any hair conditioner?" scene that we got. This was the guy who had her back in Season 7 when everyone else betrayed her, who literally laid down his life for her, and she treats his return like he had just stepped out for groceries.

Beyond those initial complaints, I rather enjoyed Season 8. I knew way in advance who Twilight was, though I think that his motives made no sense whatsoever.

I liked the Dracula arc. Having him be on the side of the good guys, even if it was for his own personal reasons, was a neat twist, and his obvious friendship with Xander was touching.

Joss, himself, admitted that the Season went on too long, and that it was largely because of the only limits to the "effects" was what the artists could convincingly draw. It did allow them to explore multiple story arcs, which was fun.

I couldn't understand the "all is forgiven" ending. Angel had damn near destroyed the world yet again, had, in fact, been directly responsible for hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent lives, and he didn't even have the excuse of losing his soul this time, or being under the unwilling thrall of the First Evil. Angel VOLUNTEERED to be Twilight's equivalent of Caleb, knowing full well what the ultimate plan was. He knew exactly what he was doing. Then he even goes so far as to kill Giles. You don't just walk away from a thing like that.

Of course, I didn't have the reference at that time, but, looking back at it now, I can't help but compare Angel's actions to the latest "Avengers" movie. It's almost like Angel would have fought on Thanos' side, and use the excuse that he was saving half the world's population.
I agree with almost everything you're saying.

Personally I hate angel so him having a crappy storyline was no big deal to me.

Spike on the other hand, I felt like his introduction was fine but UNNECESSARY. Same with Angel. Had the two vampire boyfriends not been in Season 8, the season would've been better. Like give us some time with the new characters!! Especially Satsu.

The Big Bad should've stayed as Amy and Warren. They were perfect villains and I'm typicallly against the whole resurrected villain storyline but this worked.

I was also a HUGE fan of the whole slayer army thing. I thought it took Buffy in a new and interesting direction. Kinda sad the season ended in it disbanding but Season Nine was amazing so whatever.

I absolutely loved the Satsu + Kennedy teamup where they take on plush kitten-vamps. I enjoyed the Fray storyline without ever having read Fray. All the beginning volumes were really really awesome imo. Dracula is of course fantastic. Renee was cool as well.

Things started getting shakey when Oz was reintroduced. It setup a bad ending and that's also when Xander + Dawn got together so blegh.

My other thing is, ANDREW BEING A WATCHER??? wtf. Like give us more Robin Wood!! He would've been perfect! I don't mind Andrew who has like a side role but he cannot possibly be a good leader of slayers.

Other positive things:
- Dawn had a way bigger role (literally) this season and I loved it.
- Willow is even more powerful with magic but has learned to control it.
- Anything with Kennedy. (who honestly deserves a Deepscan spinoff)
- That amazing solo Faith issue with Lady Genieve
- Mecha Dawn
- Satsu with a submarine
- Buffy finally being a bit queer but like why write it off as "experimenting". I feel like the Buffyverse has forgotten bisexuality and quite frankly Buffy x Faith are a power couple.

Top Bottom