1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season One: Your views, before and now

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by matt124, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Season One: Your views, before and now

1. Still love it

2. Still like it

3. Still dislike it

4. Still hate it

5. Loved it, now like it

6. Loved it, now dislike it

7. Loved it, now hate it

8. Liked it, now love it

9. Liked it, now dislike it

10. Liked it, now hate it

11. Disliked it, now love it

12. Disliked it, now like it

13. Disliked it, now hate it

14. Hated it, now love it

15. Hated it, now like it

16. Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matt124

matt124 Potential

How did you feel about Buffy Season 1 when you first watched it and what is your view to it now today? Has your opinion changed.

2. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

At the risk of repeating myself, I enjoy Season 1 episodes more than I remember enjoying them at the time, but I wonder if that is just nostalgia. There are only 2 eps of that season I now dislike, Teachers Pet and IRYJ, though I could, if pushed, find some positive things to say about them.

3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Season 1 is the most nolstagia filled for me. The first time through I liked it; it was fun, witty, quirky and a bit cheesy.
    But I came to value cheese more and more as the show went on. While the overall plot arc is a little creaky it still works- at least for Buffy. Her 'acceptance of slaying' and what that represents is well written.
    I think Season 1 does what it needs to do very well; introduce the characters, the lore of the Buffyverse. Season 1 sets the stage for the greatness of Season 2.

Jam, The Bronze, thrasherpix and 4 others like this.
  4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    This season is the one that got me hooked on the show. I was watching it with my parents - my mom is a long time fan of Buffy and I used to make fun of her for it - and I started to really like how funny it was. I laughed my ass off at Xander's umpire joke on Angel. When I went back to uni, I continued watching the show.

Season 1 is a really great season for the Scoobies. All of the characters are lovable and sweet. Giles has a stick up his British channel and is just so adorably up tight; Willow is sweet but she's sweet in season 2 also; Buffy is very lovable, funny and struggles with being a slayer without becoming whiny/annoying like in season 2; Xander is less of an ass than in season 2. Even Angel is so cocky and cowardly that it's amusing knowing how different he is in actuality.

Oh, and I love the Master and the music and Snyder.

The episodes are just so much fun. They're not brilliant, but all of those much hated episodes have tons of great Scooby interaction which is seriously lacking in the later seasons. It's just a feel good season that you can watch when you need a good laugh and/or are feeling lonely.

Jam, thetopher and Fuffy Baith like this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Still like it

6. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    I've always liked it but the nostalgia of it makes me love it more and more.

7. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Liked it, now I love it just 'cause of the nostalgia

8. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I never disliked season 1, I've just grown to appreciate it more. So I still like it. It's cheesy but fun. Some really bad eps, but there's some good and is nice to see the scoobies so young.

9. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    I used to cringe a bit at season 1, now I love it (mainly because of stuffy Giles and it's the beginning of the Scoobies).

Fuffy Baith: Stuffy Giles!
    Fuffy Baith and Priceless like this.
  10. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I am in the "still like it" group. Season 1 gets some criticism, but Season 1 is what got them Season 2 and all the rest, so it couldn't have been bad. There are some lame "monster of the week" episodes, but the quips are there, the cast seems fresh and bright (as opposed to later seasons where SMG looks exhausted) and there was opposition to the cause of the core four, but no depression, either for the actors or the audience.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  11. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

When I was younger I liked it just because all of the episodes were fun and didn't really have any serious themes going on (unlike S6, the only other season I had watched at that point). Now, I really like it just for the nostalgia and more 'basic' approach to BtVS.

Plus The Pack is unironically one of my favorite episodes of the whole series.

Zenseem likes this.
  12. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

The first time around I liked season 1 and over time, I've come to love the season! I was young when I first watched it so I wasn't very critical of what I was watching and it was unlike any other show I'd watched. Watching it now, I appreciate it a lot more seeing where all of the characters begin and knowing where they're all end up. The Master is a fun, campy villain and definitely fits with the tone of the season. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously and, as previously mentioned, it does everything that it needs to well; it's certainly not the best season but I can't really think of anything I'd change? Also, SMG is just adorable in season 1!

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  13. Slayim96

Slayim96 Townie

I remember, the first time I watched it, I loved it. My feelings haven't really changed; maybe there's a few episodes when I'm like, "Oh, man, doesn't that just look dated!" But it doesn't detract from my enjoyment (even when the effects are cringy).

If you want to, by the way, I wrote a review on my blog and thought this would be the best place to post it! Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season One – a review by Luke

14. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

All the bad was forgiven for me but I couldn’t get past was the music. It was pretty bad. I don’t remember the guys name but he did as little as possible to have a decent sound for The show. And I still feel th same way lol

Living Dead Boy likes this.
  15. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    I've always rewatched the first season the least, until recently. I gave into conventional wisdom that the real Buffy begins at season 2, so all the more "juicer" plots lines from the later seasons caught my attention. Nowadays, I actually prefer watching the first. They were babies, so innocently naive of what was in store for them. It almost makes you wish seasons 2 through 7 never happened because, dear god, the pain.

16. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I voted for "still like it".

In terms of plot points, you could watch "Welcome to the Hellmouth", "The Harvest", "Angel" and "Prophecy Girl" and get everything you needed to know about where the story was heading. The rest are filler episodes but "The Pack" has a feel all of its own, right down to the music and shows the character of Xander. "The Puppet Show" is one of the best episodes in the series and one of the two detective episodes, both excellent, in the series (the other is "Earshot"). "Nightmares" and "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" are quite good with a definite horror feeling to them. "The Witch", "Teacher's Pet", "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" and especially the Willow-centred "I Robot, You Jane" are pretty bad. Having episodes that bad that early in the show was rather dangerous to the ability of the networks to continue to be able to sell the series and get at least a second season.

Of the 12 episodes, four carry the plot, four are substandard and the others are pretty good. All of them involve character revelation and set up the lore of the Buffyverse quite well and establish the dialog quips that are part of Joss' writing.

17. TotallySpiked

TotallySpiked Slaying

Black Thorn
    I'm in the 'still love it' category.

Whenever I do a rewatch I always start with season 1. I just love the introduction to the characters and watching them bond and create great relationships. Season 1 and 2 are my go to seasons when I need a Buffy hit. You just can't get past Welcome to the Hellmouth, Angel & Prophecy Girl. Such naivety and a freshness that would never be experienced again.
    I have such fond memories of the first 3 seasons and then the show loses its whole vibe for me the longer it runs.

18. nxGangrel

nxGangrel Totally not checkin' you out B

Back before I even watched the series, Buffy season 1 was what I always thought of when thinking of Buffy. Just her, with Williow, Xander, and Giles in the sunnydale highschool, and Angel is there, and the Master was the bad guy. After watching the season, while it had it's dull moments, I still enjoyed it a bunch., but it's definitely not my favorite season.

19. MarlieTheSlayer

MarlieTheSlayer Bangel shipper

Black Thorn
    Used to love it when I was younger, now I like it. It's not an outright bad season, but it's simply not as good as the seasons that came after it. I have a soft spot for the scoobies their interactions during S1. Everything was so simple back then.
    [​IMG]

Priceless: How short are those skirts lol
  20. PaulParmar1

PaulParmar1 Team Spuffy

Sineya
    I still love it!
    Honestly I don't get the criticism of S1!
    A fun season where all the episodes imo were decent!
    Love the show & love that the worst thing they had to face outside the master this season was Cordelia lol!

Priceless likes this.