• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Selfies

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I tried to take some Selfies yesterday.... Still don't get the appeal. Just why would ya?

The camera seem offended by my ugly mug too, it put an automatic filter on and countdown whenever it saw teeth (I assume to get the activity over with as quickly as possible).

How did these become such a huge trend? Seems I am just not all that aware of my face. I think it is better that way.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It's a mystery to me. Or why people act shocked when the post pix of themselves all drunk or really hateful rants and then wonder why it costs them their job, sometimes because they're just not seen as mature enough to trust with the position. It's like they can't figure out that EVERYONE can see, not just whoever they're thinking of at the time.

There's no doubt in my mind that many burglars out there LOVE Facebook and the need to constantly update where you are and what you're doing.

That aside, if someone demanded I send them pix to prove I'm not cheating...well that relationship would be doomed (same if I felt the need to demand it of the other). I really don't get how people put up with that.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Yeah, I'm with you on this.
Don't see the appeal either.

But whatever... I rather see people taking pictures of themselves than when they insists on having me in the picture.

/SK

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I had to restrain myself from knocking some phones to the cement, especially as it was deliberately obnoxious rather than thoughtless of recording me. It would probably only been worse if I had, and the police sent them away soon enough anyway

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Very occasionally my partner and I will try to take a selfie to get us both in the picture if we're somewhere interesting. It's always a pain. I've got no idea why people do it all the time just for the sake of it.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
🤔 I'm not sure. I count anything where you have to point the camera at yourself. Not sure if that's right though.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
On the analogue cameras it was fairly normal to have a timer recording feature yet none on the digital cameras, well not mine anyway.
Putting the camera on a tripod you could use a touch operated remote control.

When is a selfie not a selfie?
When two selfies are in shot?
I think not.
But when no one or two selfies are in the selfie, hmmm.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think people are too hard on selfies. Sure people go excessive with it, I mean I think there are literal stories where people have died while trying to take a "cool" selfie. But otherwise, what's the harm in wanting to take nice pictures of yourself? I selfie, usually with the dog, or when I'm somewhere with friends, or to send to my friends because we often say "I miss you" by saying "I miss your face" or "My face misses your face" and send (often purposely unflattering) face pics. I think Kim Kardashian may have an entire book called Selfie? And again, that's a bit excessive and probably a bit narcissistic, but mostly I think it's just people who want to feel good about themselves for a moment.

Octavia
Octavia
I think that says it all if Kim Kardashian wrote the book on it... hahahhhaha

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think "wrote" is a generous term here, I think it's just a coffee table book. I.e. literally just an entire book of selfies. *shrug* I know it's cool to look down on her, I definitely have too, but she's made her own face an industry in itself. It's pretty impressive. I couldn't get rich off of my face, just saying. But my point was that she's the extreme, most people aren't Kim K making books of their thousands of selfies, most people just want to feel like they look nice in a photo, so I don't see why the appeal is hard to get.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Haha Maybe it is just a different experience for people with un-purposely unflattering faces.

Feels a bit like hearing your own voice recorded - Do I really sound/look like that?!?! :eek::eek:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Are you a cute teenage girl who can expect her social circle to "like?" Because that's the appeal.

Octavia
Octavia
I am none of those things lol

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Maybe it is something to do with it being a mirror like reflection. I've drawn plenty of self portraits (none I would share), but selfies don't feel anywhere near the same. I have never been fond of photographs though. They "capture" instead of see, if that makes sense?

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Selfies are big with young people because they do so much of their communicating online... it's kind of a way of making up for not seeing each other in person. I don't think it's due to narcissism as some people claim.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Sounds plausible. But at least in my observation females do it more and yet also get together more (though I haven't paid that much attention). 'Course if I spent a lot more time on my appearance I might want to have more to show for it, too.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Many people suffer from the mental disability but it's normalized and rationalized away, while others use it as a means for income; though, sadly, that may be changing.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Here is the thing that horror films love, should a man have a selfie of himself with a Weeping Angel. For all those who look at the photo, DO NOT BLINK !

Reactions: Nix

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Some people need it for affirmation, and some people's motivation is vanity. For most other people, it's not evidence of anything in particular. In my case, my friends and I take pictures of each other all of the time, but for us the purpose is for capturing events, experiences and moments of time for posterity's sake.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I think it's a generational thing. I tend to forget selfies are a thing whereas if I'd been born later I'd probably have a different perspective. It's still a bizarre concept to me to take photos of just your face. Though I've never been photogenic so maybe that's why.

It's probably not a good thing for mental health, to state the obvious for a second. Expecially when some people are facetuning and photoshopping all their photos on social media, there's no longer any sense of reality in aspiration.

Black Thorn
I only take selfies if it's for group photos or I doing something interesting. I don't like posting a picture of my face for the sake of posting it though, it's just weird to me.

Top Bottom