• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

She deserved it

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
So? Buffy spent five seasons waiting for apocalypse of the year while hanging out with her friends at The Bronze.

If anything, this scene shows how unfit Buffy is - or a hypocrite - when she was young and still had a desire for life like any teenage girl, she prioritized blowing off steam and having fun. Even when lectured about responsibility by Giles. And she’s Slayer ”extraordinaire”

Has she forgotten about that? Seen the error of her ways? Is she just cracking under the pressure of leadership? She’s expecting Faith and the potentials to live up to an ideal she never lived up to herself.

So yeah,Faith gave the girls five seconds of fun. Probably because she, unlike Buffy, realized that they were people.

Nope, don’t see how that argument shows her as an unfit leader.
Amen, sister!

NeonSlayer

Potential
The issue with the Potentials at the Bronze was never about whether they should be allowed to blow off steam. It was that they were in the same situation Dawn was in after Glory realized she was The Key or Buffy was in when the Order of Taraka were after her. They were being hunted into extinction. If it was 1940s Germany and the Nazis were trying to eliminate all Jewish people do you think they'd go clubbing in Hitler's backyard?

In the early seasons, there wasn't a giant bullseye on the Scoobies' backs and a small group of less than half a dozen people is easier to manage in a crisis.

The Potentials were at Buffy's house because they were being hunted throughout the world. Look at how fast Annabelle got killed when she took off in the middle of the night. Eve was stabbed to death in a motel. There were Bringers waiting to stab Rhona to death the second she got off the bus. Caleb stabbed Shannon while she was on her way to Sunnydale.

Faith took DOZENS of Potentials clubbing by herself. One person watching over 36+ girls, not a single one had a weapon on them. They were easy targets.

Buffy only took the Potentials to the vineyard who she had been training the longest and had Spike, Faith, & Xander as backup. They were all armed. And she did it after having tested them in months of combat exercises. The vineyard the first time was another step to get them ready for the big battles. It was to give them real fighting experience with older better mostly superpowered fighters there to protect them if things got too dicey.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
People can die either which way.

NeonSlayer

Potential
@FaithLehane16 That's like saying "People can die even if they wear a seatbelt so I might as well not wear one". Buffy's training exercises were basically letting them drive around in the parking lot or residential streets and the vineyard was seeing how they did driving on the freeway. Faith taking them to the Bronze was like going joyriding expecting not to run into any other cars on the road. Buffy took them somewhere she knew there'd be other cars but as the next step to getting their license. Faith just thought it'd be fun to cruise around and didn't wonder if there might be an accident and then threw it in Buffy's face that there was an accident on the freeway because she got chastised.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
@FaithLehane16 That's like saying "People can die even if they wear a seatbelt so I might as well not wear one". Buffy's training exercises were basically letting them drive around in the parking lot or residential streets and the vineyard was seeing how they did driving on the freeway. Faith taking them to the Bronze was like going joyriding expecting not to run into any other cars on the road. Buffy took them somewhere she knew there'd be other cars but as the next step to getting their license. Faith just thought it'd be fun to cruise around and didn't wonder if there might be an accident.
No. It's not. I don't see that comparison as valid.

Who the hell takes big weapons to a public place?! I can understand small weapons such as pocket knives and such, but not big weapons.

Last edited:

NeonSlayer

Potential
No. It's not. I don't see that comparison as valid.
Buffy & Faith both took the girls somewhere there might be danger. But of the two it was only Buffy who anticipated the danger and tried to prepare for it.

The girls were wearing their metaphorical seatbelts in Dirty Girls but they weren't wearing them in Empty Places. Caleb & the Bringers could have been at both locations but the girls only expected him at the vineyard. Caleb & the Bringers could have easily gone to the Bronze. Vampires could've been at both locations. I doubt there were enough pool cues to go around. But I bet all the girls had stakes on them at the vineyard.

Dora

Scooby
I have sat and read the whole topic ....some very in depth ,
Faith taking the potentials out clubbing was crazy they had the first with loads of bringers etc after them , away from Willows , the house protection could have been suicidal , faith was very lucky that they did not get caught out !
Honestly do you believe that Willow , Dawn , Xander, and Giles would take Faith side over Buffy!! and chuck Buffy out , even if Buffy was acting as a total stranger from previous seasons
For Spuffy to happen you have to split Buffy from the Scoobies , in S6 you had the scoobies acting totally out of Character ( would Giles have really left ) for it to happen in S7 it was Buffy , the chucking out of Buffy so that the white Knight Spike could ride his charger in , in save the damsel in distress is fairy tale stuff
The last two seasons we were watching Marti noxons version of BTVS not Whedons
S6 and S7 seasons Buffy is incidental to saving the world.......Men save the world....Buffy character is only the lead because it is called BTVS and it is supposed to be about her......unfortunately by S7 it was not

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
But Faith's intention was NOT to get anyone hurt. Her intention was to take everyone out to unwind. I know that getting a group of potentials and Buffy's little sis killed and maimed. It was NOT her intention to get people drunk. She was just playing the role of being a cool aunt Faith. I don't see anything wrong with that. If kids get drunk it's their own damn fault, not the person taking them out. They would have easily gotten drunk back home. I hated it when Buffy punched Faith's face. It annoyed me greatly. I also gotten really annoyed when she referred the potentials like they are 9 year olds.

It wasn't Faith's idea to have Buffy get chucked out of her own house. If anything, she was the ONLY ONE that went out to get Buffy come back inside. Buffy was the one who didn't choose to come back inside.

Buffy wasn't right to have Spike be her priority over her friends. That is what pissed the group off the most. The other thing that pissed the group off was that Buffy kept on putting her ideas above everybody's. Her demeanor in this season was much different from the earlier seasons which I preferred her in.

NeonSlayer

Potential
Everyone keeps saying Buffy was OOC & unrecognizable in s7 but I can list literally hundreds of moments when she was being sweet, funny, & protective. There are so many examples of it that it's too much for one post. I am tempted to open a thread and go episode by episode.

Buffy was not incidental to saving the world in s7. Whose house were they living in rent free? Buffy's. Who was training the Potentials? Buffy. Who encouraged Willow to use magic again? Buffy. Who encouraged Spike to fight? Buffy. Who got Andrew to cry tears of remorse to close the Seal? Buffy. Who was Wood's introduction to the group? Buffy. Who found the Scythe? Buffy. Who killed Caleb? Buffy. Who rescued Faith & Potentials from the bomb wreckage? Buffy. Who came up with the plan to fix the damage to the Slayer line and give every Potential a real chance of defending themselves from attack and ensuring whatever happens to their group there'd still be Slayers spread throughout the world? Buffy. Who put a second wind in the girls by getting back up & fighting even though she was run through with a sword? Buffy. Who goes on to be the founding leader of an international paramilitary organization with 500 Slayers under her command? Buffy.

Before anyone starts in with "She didn't do it alone!" I was responding to the notion that she wasn't still the central character/player/catalyst.

The amulet closed the Hellmouth but at most it was a golden snitch. The actions of the players throughout the game should count. Spike's sacrifice was heroic but giving him all the credit is like saying Willow doing the soul restoration spell in Becoming was incidental because Buffy still sent Angel to Hell to close Acathla.

I know I'm mostly alone thinking 32 Slayers could take out the army of powered down to regular vampire level Turok-hans. But I'll say it again. If 32 Slayers each killed as little as 6 per minute, that's 192 per minute. That's 11,520 in *one* hour. Even if half of them get killed in the first hour, that's still 5,760 in *one* hour. If my army of less than 50 people was able to take out 5-11 thousand of the enemy army in an hour, I'd say we were doing pretty damn good.

K
katmobile
That's the point of season seven it's about influencing and empowering others which Buffy did whether it was Spike, Willow or the potentials Buffy did her best to believe in them and empower them and it worked. That's how I see it.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The fact of the matter is that the only reason Buffy 'won' in S7 was because of the idiocy of The First/Caleb, nothing to do with Buffy really.
S7 Buffy forgot the previous lessons from the preceding years; she doesn't win without her friends.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Agreed. If they never dug out the scythe, Buffy would've been screwed.
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Agreed fellow Faith fan.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But Faith's intention was NOT to get anyone hurt. Her intention was to take everyone out to unwind. I know that getting a group of potentials and Buffy's little sis killed and maimed. It was NOT her intention to get people drunk. She was just playing the role of being a cool aunt Faith. I don't see anything wrong with that. If kids get drunk it's their own damn fault, not the person taking them out. They would have easily gotten drunk back home.
Buffy's intention at the vineyard was NOT for people to die and she definitely NEVER intended for Xander to lose his eye but it happened. It's all very well Faith playing the "cool aunt" whilst Buffy is taking the heat, but as soon as Faith had to step up she wasn't playing the "cool aunt" anymore. Faith had a responsibility, the slayers were fighting a war. You don't just go out unarmed and hope the enemy aren't waiting to catch you unawares. Faith could've easily thrown a party at the house for the potentials, taking them away from the safety of the house on her own was not a good idea.

At least Faith put Kennedy in her place though, it's a shame nobody did it sooner.

I hated it when Buffy punched Faith's face. It annoyed me greatly.
It annoyed me whenever she would punch Spike unnecessarily in the previous seasons. Faith isn't receiving any worser treatment than Spike did.

I also gotten really annoyed when she referred the potentials like they are 9 year olds.
I can understand why Buffy did that. She has to get the potentials in shape for a battle of survival and they're bitching about it yet they'd be the first to complain if she didn't try and train them and they kept being picked off one by one.

It wasn't Faith's idea to have Buffy get chucked out of her own house. If anything, she was the ONLY ONE that went out to get Buffy come back inside. Buffy was the one who didn't choose to come back inside.
The mutiny scene really emphasises the fact that Kennedy is not a pleasant person. Wood is also shown to be a backstabber.

Buffy didn't really have a choice to go back inside, like she said she couldn't just stand back and watch them be led into a disaster (which is what happened).

Also Buffy said about how it couldn't be a democracy and everyone jumped on her for that, yet the very next episode, Xander says himself that perhaps everyone shouldn't get a say. The mutiny was a complete powerplay on Kennedy's part, hence why she was brownnosing Faith then calling for Faith to be leader. She said to Xander that the potentials that had been there longest should get a bigger say (meaning herself) then she whines to Faith that she thought she would get a bigger say with Faith in charge.

Kennedy nearly screwed everything up just because she wanted her own way and wasn't getting it with Buffy.

Buffy wasn't right to have Spike be her priority over her friends. That is what pissed the group off the most. The other thing that pissed the group off was that Buffy kept on putting her ideas above everybody's.
Spike has been a part of team Scooby for years and was suffering, first with his soul, then the chip, then the first pulling his strings. I think it would be very out of character for Buffy not to care that someone was in pain if she could help them. She was trying to juggle both things and it was just unfortunate that there were several occasions where Spike had to take precedence because his situation was worse.

The scoobies never really liked Spike and didn't even respect him as a teammate so of course they'd get sniffy about it when Buffy put him before them.

As for Buffy putting her ideas above everyone else's Buffy actually listened to the scoobies when they were planning the first trip to the vineyard.

Caleb said he had something of hers which Giles rightly pointed out could be a lie. However Buffy said it could also be another potential. Buffy couldn't potentially leave a girl to suffer at the hands of Caleb on the possibility it might not be true.

Xander pointed out that it was probably a trap which is why Buffy said she was only taking the more experienced potentials with her as well as some of the scoobies.

Spike said it might be a bait and switch where Caleb attacks the ones left behind whilst the stronger ones are out. Buffy says that is why she's leaving Willow and Giles at home to defend the house should the need arise.

During the mutiny, Buffy opens up the floor to suggestions on how they should handle going back to the vineyard. She's right when she says there needs to be a single voice to lead. During a war, you need someone to go "This is what we're doing, how shall we go about it?" rather than lots of people going "what shall we do?"

Her demeanor in this season was much different from the earlier seasons which I preferred her in.
Buffy's demeanour has been different since Dawn's introduction. Seasons 1-4 Buffy is the Buffy we know and love, Seasons 5-7 Buffy is put through the wringer repeatedly. In Season 7, she's facing the biggest battle of her life, potentially the biggest one she will ever face, whilst stuck in an overcrowded house with whiny teenagers who she has to train to fight even though they resent her for it.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I agree except I'm okay with her punching wise cracking mass murderers and feel that I knew & definitely love her EVERY season. The Buffy of s2 is slightly different from s1Buffy, s3 Buffy is slightly different from s2 Buffy, etc.
K
katmobile
I really like that you took the trouble to remember how she took Spike and Xander's doubts on board I'd forgotten that. It also emphasized how Wood who attacked her really didn't help.

NeonSlayer

Potential
The fact of the matter is that the only reason Buffy 'won' in S7 was because of the idiocy of The First/Caleb, nothing to do with Buffy really.
S7 Buffy forgot the previous lessons from the preceding years; she doesn't win without her friends.
Buffy wasn't trying to win without her friends. In Bring On the Night, when Giles said it was all up to her, she told him that's not what she wants to hear. When she overheard her friends talking about how she was the plan and now they don't know what to do since she lost a battle, she gave a speech saying "WE just became an army. WE just declared war" & "There's only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that's US." In Showtime she chose to plan with Willow & Xander for the thunderdome and ended it saying "In the end it's going to be US. If WE ALL do OUR part, believe it, WE'LL be the ones left standing." The whole point of her ill advised speech in Get it Done is that she wanted everyone to give 100%. She wanted Willow to use magic, Spike to be a fighter again, and the Potentials to believe in themselves more than the FE's taunts. In First Date onwards Buffy welcomed Wood's help and took his advice.

If Buffy thought she could do it all alone, she wouldn't have been training the Potentials. She wouldn't have cared if Willow & Spike ever used the power they had because she would've thought it wasn't needed. If Buffy thought she could do it alone, her first plan would've been to go to the vineyard alone, get the thing the FE was hiding alone, & kill Caleb alone. Instead that's what she had to do because they kicked her out.

It was verbally stated that Buffy was eating dinner & watching tv with them. She trusted Willow to protect the girls when she was out of the house and expected her to deal with her issues enough to start using magic again when it's needed and was disappointed that she wasn't ("Wicca who won'ta" "I use the power that I have").

There are always McGuffins and last minute revelations. In s2, it was the finale when they found the restoration spell and got the magic sword that could stop Acathla. In s3 it was the finale when they learned what it would take to kill an Old One and Buffy came up with the battle plan. In s4 it was in the finale (I count Primeval & Restless as a double ending) that they realized Adam was pulling a Trojan horse and to do a joining spell to stop him. In s5 it was the finale when Buffy sacrificed herself to save Dawn & the world. In s6 it was the finale that Giles showed up and imbued Willow with *good* magic which cracked her open enough for Xander's words to emotionally reach her.

Last edited:

NeonSlayer

Potential
I forgot to add in Get it Done she trusted in her friends' abilities so much that she jumped through a portal to prehistoric Africa because she had no doubt they could find a way to bring her back.

It makes no sense to say Buffy would've been screwed without the Scythe since she came up with the plan in Chosen because she had the scythe. Buffy spent s7 trying to keep them safe and prepare them as best she could because she didn't know how to avert the apocalypse. She never pretended to know. Throughout the season she would confess that she thinks they're going to die. It's why she wanted them so focused, because she didn't have a McGuffin. It's like Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers in that she knew the orcs were coming but didn't know that come sunrise so would Gandalf with reinforcements. Sometimes it's about getting the players as far as possible in the game and lucking into an energy pack or bonus.

Where would they be without a floppy disk, orb of Thesulah, prophetic dream, or witches in England no one heard of until they were important to plot?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Where would they be without a floppy disk, orb of Thesulah, prophetic dream, or witches in England no one heard of until they were important to plot?
None of them cam courtesy of the bad guys. Caleb might've well just said "Well, Slayer, we knew there was no chance of you defeating us without this scythe here so we helpfully dug it out for you. Don't ask me why since it doesn't benefit us in any way but there you go."

Dora

Scooby
Everyone keeps saying Buffy was OOC & unrecognizable in s7 but I can list literally hundreds of moments when she was being sweet, funny, & protective. There are so many examples of it that it's too much for one post. I am tempted to open a thread and go episode by episode.

Buffy was not incidental to saving the world in s7. Whose house were they living in rent free? Buffy's. Who was training the Potentials? Buffy. Who encouraged Willow to use magic again? Buffy. Who encouraged Spike to fight? Buffy. Who got Andrew to cry tears of remorse to close the Seal? Buffy. Who was Wood's introduction to the group? Buffy. Who found the Scythe? Buffy. Who killed Caleb? Buffy. Who rescued Faith & Potentials from the bomb wreckage? Buffy. Who came up with the plan to fix the damage to the Slayer line and give every Potential a real chance of defending themselves from attack and ensuring whatever happens to their group there'd still be Slayers spread throughout the world? Buffy. Who put a second wind in the girls by getting back up & fighting even though she was run through with a sword? Buffy. Who goes on to be the founding leader of an international paramilitary organization with 500 Slayers under her command? Buffy.

Before anyone starts in with "She didn't do it alone!" I was responding to the notion that she wasn't still the central character/player/catalyst.

The amulet closed the Hellmouth but at most it was a golden snitch. The actions of the players throughout the game should count. Spike's sacrifice was heroic but giving him all the credit is like saying Willow doing the soul restoration spell in Becoming was incidental because Buffy still sent Angel to Hell to close Acathla.

I know I'm mostly alone thinking 32 Slayers could take out the army of powered down to regular vampire level Turok-hans. But I'll say it again. If 32 Slayers each killed as little as 6 per minute, that's 192 per minute. That's 11,520 in *one* hour. Even if half of them get killed in the first hour, that's still 5,760 in *one* hour. If my army of less than 50 people was able to take out 5-11 thousand of the enemy army in an hour, I'd say we were doing pretty damn good.

Yes there are lots of Buffy moments in S7 but there us very few after CWDP and yes Buffy was not incidental for saving the world , but in the end she took the scoobies and potential's on a suicide mission, with out Angel arriving with the amulate and Spike wearing it unknowingly what it would do, Buffy , Faith, Spike the potentials and Scoobies would have been overwhelmed , they would tire sooner or later and were being picked off anyway , they ran in the end , lots wounded some killed and they had hardly made a dent in the Turkey Hams , Buffy was incidental in the end , Spike was almost incidental until the end

NeonSlayer

Potential
None of them cam courtesy of the bad guys. Caleb might've well just said "Well, Slayer, we knew there was no chance of you defeating us without this scythe here so we helpfully dug it out for you. Don't ask me why since it doesn't benefit us in any way but there you go."
I would theorize they dug the scythe up because they knew it had Slayer essence attached to it and they wanted to get rid of every remnant of the Slayer (Watchers, Potentials, Slayers, etc). They wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to recreate the Slayer line. I'm surprised they didn't try to get rid of the shadow casters.

In Graduation Day Mayor Wilkins had Faith murder a professor to hide the painting in his home that pointed towards how to stop him and it had the opposite affect. In s4 Adam made sure they knew about the Trojan horse plot and wanted them in the Initiative facility and that's how they ended up stopping his cyborg hybrid goal, being inside to kill him and fight alongside the troops.

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Buffy wasn't trying to win without her friends.
Buffy stated that Spike was the only one watching her back. Why? Because he was the only one who mattered apparently.

"I use the power that I have"
Right, that's why Buffy valued Willow- because of her power, not that she was her friend. Buffy the utilitarian values Spike, her 'strongest warrior' (when he isn't slaughtering innocents at the behest of The First) and doesn't value everyone who is actually helping.

I forgot to add in Get it Done she trusted in her friends' abilities so much that she jumped through a portal to prehistoric Africa because she had no doubt they could find a way to bring her back.
More incredibly poor judgement you mean. Call everyone lame because you're 'carrying them' and then leave them alone with trigger-Spike.

And afterwards she doesn't ever 'take' the power that's offered to her by The Watcher-priest people. So she's a hypocrite on top of everything else.
Buffy in 'Get It Done' is a horrendous character who doesn't even admit that her mindset is wrong.

NeonSlayer

Potential
Buffy stated that Spike was the only one watching her back. Why? Because he was the only one who mattered apparently.

Right, that's why Buffy valued Willow- because of her power, not that she was her friend. Buffy the utilitarian values Spike, her 'strongest warrior' (when he isn't slaughtering innocents at the behest of The First) and doesn't value everyone who is actually helping.

More incredibly poor judgement you mean. Call everyone lame because you're 'carrying them' and then leave them alone with trigger-Spike.

And afterwards she doesn't ever 'take' the power that's offered to her by The Watcher-priest people. So she's a hypocrite on top of everything else.
Buffy in 'Get It Done' is a horrendous character who doesn't even admit that her mindset is wrong.
Buffy wanted Willow & Spike to use the power they ALREADY had, not to jack themselves up with triple the amount they had so they'd be completely unbalanced with the paranormal side outweighing the human side. That would be like if Spike purposefully found a way to get sired by Maloker (the demon origin of vampires) and became a Turok-han on top of being a regular vampire. Imbuing a Slayer with the source power of the Slayer would be Slayer concentrate, hardly any Buffy left, she'd be primarily demon.

When Buffy told Giles that he sent away the only person watching her back she wasn't calling everyone else useless or saying she didn't trust them. She meant it in the way that if it had been early s3 and Faith was the only other paranormal on the team, she'd be the only one watching her back in that she felt more assurance than worry when fighting beside her. Buffy doesn't doubt that her friends are capable but they are still human. She felt better having someone with her abilities there.

They weren't positive the trigger was still an issue until Lies My Parents Told Me. Buffy had good reason to believe it was deactivated or weakened. It was placed on Spike when he was at his most psychologically & emotionally compromised. He was going mad, not bathing, self harming, talking to himself, crying alone on the floor of a basement. But by November he got back the memories of what he did while triggered, realized the song the FE sang to activate him, was showering, living above ground, refused to bite Buffy, asked to be killed for his crimes, internalized Buffy's message that he could be a good man, and didn't break after weeks of torture. Just the fact that the FE sent Bringers to kidnap him speaks to the theory that it was losing its control over him.

In Help Buffy was able to override the selfishness of a love spell enough to save the life of her competition and say she'd give the guy it was making her homicidally obsessed with to her because her sister is more important.

Spike hadn't slaughtered anyone from the trigger since November, the month they found out about it.

Of course Buffy cares about Willow for more than her magic. Only 3 months after Willow tried multiple times to murder Buffy and started an apocalypse, she was waiting at the airport to welcome her home. And that was despite her not finishing her "learning how to not be evil" rehab. She immediately let her live in her house. She blamed herself for Willow going AWOL. "Maybe there was something about us she couldn't face." She saved her from Gnarl, confessed in shame that she thought the skinnings might be Willow's doing, and let her siphon her energy to heal her. In Selfless Buffy helped Willow move her stuff into her room and asked her if she got the physics class she wanted. In The Killer in Me Buffy playfully teased Willow about liking Kennedy. "Mmhhm. Have fun, delivering the tea." In First Date Buffy talks to her about her excitement in possibly dating Wood and again playfully teases her about Kennedy. "Quiet Willow or we'll make you talk about your new girlfriend who you hold hands with under the dinner table and think we don't notice." In Get it Done it was Willow that Buffy apologized for being hard on. In Storyteller Buffy tried to defend Willow to Wood when he asked how any of them could trust each other when they've been evil. In Empty Places Buffy chose to cry while looking at a photo of herself with Xander & Willow instead of just one that had Xander in it. And it was in her office so she'd probably had the photo there all season.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I would theorize they dug the scythe up because they knew it had Slayer essence attached to it and they wanted to get rid of every remnant of the Slayer (Watchers, Potentials, Slayers, etc). They wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to recreate the Slayer line.
The thing is though we were never shown Caleb or the bringers trying to destroy the scythe. They just seemed to dig it out and leave it on display so that all Buffy had to do was pick it up. If they hadn't dug it out, she wouldn't have been able to do that and would've probably failed against the first since making all the potentials slayers was more or less just evening the score so that they stood a fighting chance.

Even if the intent was to destroy the scythe, Caleb and the first would've been smarter to eliminate Buffy, Faith and the potentials first (since they were in the vicinity) THEN dig up the scythe to try and destroy it THEN go and pick off the new slayer who would've been the only slayer because Buffy didn't have the scythe to activate everyone at the same time. Also since the potentials at Buffy's house were supposedly the last ones left in the world (which was then retconned with the activation spell), as far as Caleb and the First were concerned, they'd eliminated the worldwide problem and just needed to pick off the few that were gathering in Sunnydale. Why dig up the scythe before getting rid of Buffy, Faith and the potentials?

In s4 Adam made sure they knew about the Trojan horse plot and wanted them in the Initiative facility and that's how they ended up stopping his cyborg hybrid goal, being inside to kill him and fight alongside the troops.
Adam had been hoping to divide and conquer. That's why he had Spike sow discord amongst the scoobies in the Yoko Factor. He wasn't happy when Buffy showed up with the rest of the scoobies.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Slayer +2 Axe:
Per Season 2's Quality of Writing, the First would have wanted the +2 Axe because power is power, and depriving the Slayer of her power is still useful, even if the agents of the First couldn't use it, which is both reasonable and a feminist metaphor.

Per Season 7's Quality of Writing, the First wanted to "Avenger's #197" Buffy, so she could give birth to him, preferably while Caleb read a blasphemous version of the Apostle's Creed, and needed to use the +2 Axe to do so. Then Maxi Norton would take over writing, and Buffy would spend the next season having sex with her Rapist/Son/The Devil, and "Firffy" Shippers would be arguing to this day it was one of her healthier relationships.

NeonSlayer

Potential
The thing is though we were never shown Caleb or the bringers trying to destroy the scythe. They just seemed to dig it out and leave it on display so that all Buffy had to do was pick it up. If they hadn't dug it out, she wouldn't have been able to do that and would've probably failed against the first since making all the potentials slayers was more or less just evening the score so that they stood a fighting chance.

Even if the intent was to destroy the scythe, Caleb and the first would've been smarter to eliminate Buffy, Faith and the potentials first (since they were in the vicinity) THEN dig up the scythe to try and destroy it THEN go and pick off the new slayer who would've been the only slayer because Buffy didn't have the scythe to activate everyone at the same time. Also since the potentials at Buffy's house were supposedly the last ones left in the world (which was then retconned with the activation spell), as far as Caleb and the First were concerned, they'd eliminated the worldwide problem and just needed to pick off the few that were gathering in Sunnydale. Why dig up the scythe before getting rid of Buffy, Faith and the potentials?

Adam had been hoping to divide and conquer. That's why he had Spike sow discord amongst the scoobies in the Yoko Factor. He wasn't happy when Buffy showed up with the rest of the scoobies.
They didn't have the scythe on display, the bottom was still stuck in rock. Buffy had to King Arthur it out. Caleb didn't know Buffy would be able to just lift it up.

Considering in Dirty Girls (the same month as the finale), a Potential arrived in Sunnydale and there was a possibility Caleb could've had another held hostage, I don't think we were supposed to believe the ones in the house were 100% all that was left.

The FE wouldn't have killed Buffy or Faith until all the Potentials were killed. In End of Days It didn't want Buffy dead until she had the scythe. It couldn't be sure which Potential around the globe would get activated. While Buffy was the more experienced Slayer so more formidable than a newbie, the FE had all of her memories since she'd died several times.

I'm not saying s7 was perfect, there is a lot I would change or tweak. I even have a Tumblr tag on it.

Adam & Spike's original goal was to divide & conquer but then they realized they needed the Scoobies working together for the bigger plan to work, hence Spike hinting to Buffy in the caves so she'd realize he was behind Willow, Giles, & Xander suddenly acting crazy bitter.

Top Bottom