• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Shipping names

Willow Tara

♥️Buffyverse♥️ Tillow Forever!!!
Sineya
I'm not sure about the shipping names could you correct me if you see anything wrong? (Probably gonna start a thread some day where I ask for shipping names 'cause I'm never so sure.)
So here we go! I have thought A LOT about ships lately... okay no I actually think a lot about it since I know Buffy (since i was 9) so not "lately". And the Problem is I don´t know so many shipping names, or I know some that i thought were "right" or "official" (I mean commonly used) for example Willara (Willow/Tara) but then i found out it´s Tillow! And now, after I joined BB I thought not only about the Canon ships... I also started really thinking about non-canon ships. And you know what? That´s a Problem. Because I don´t even know all of the shipping names foe Canon ships. How can i ever find out about non-Canon ships? They´re endless, you can ship everyone with each other when you want to!

Okay, so just tell me what shipping names (for any ship, Canon or non Canon) do you use in the Buffyverse? Please write the shipping Name AND both characters, so I know for which ship the Name is. For example: Tillow (Willow/Tara) or Spuffy (Spike/Buffy) ... yes I know a few also Bangel (Buffy/Angel) and if I´m right Fresley (Fred/Wesley) Cangel (Cordy/Angel) I have also heard (and written myself) Frillow for Fred/Willow, is that right? (it is my favourite non-Canon ship, that´s why I´m asking)

Sineya
Shipping names? How about DHL, FedEx or UPS? ;)

Seriously though I don't think there is a right or wrong ship name for any pairing, people just tend to use what is easiest to type or say.
For some it's quite easy.....Buffy/Spike for instance, Spuffy sounds a lot better than Bike ;) but others could be confusing....
Like if you used Gillow as this could be Giles/Willow or Gunn/Willow (Those pairings used as an example only before people start going Ewwww! :p )

I think as long as people can tell what pairing you are talking about there is no right & wrong...… :)

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Thanks. And the DHL etc. made laugh! :) lol
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Surely a Willow/Giles ship would be called Wiles?
Black Thorn
I just stuck to the most memorable:

Bike - Buffy & Spike
Angy - Angel & Buffy
Andy - Angel & Cordy
Ged - Gunn & Fred
Ginny - Giles & Jenny
Spu - Spike & Dru

And so on

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Spu? No one wants their relationship to be described in a way that sounds like "spew" :p
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Idk Dru and Spike might...
It matters if you want to find the fics involved (or direct your fics to your chosen audience), but otherwise it's just for convenience.

At least the Buffy ships have easy to figure out names. They're becoming more complicated now. Take a look at some of the ship names in RWBY, plenty won't make sense unless you're a fan (and even a casual fan might not get them):

RWBY

Yang & Blake is called "Bumblebee" not only because their respective primary colors are black and yellow, but because the code name for their combining their fighting styles & powers was "Bumblebee" in one episode. "Nuts & Dolts" for Penny/Ruby requires knowing that Penny is an android while Ruby is something of a dolt. And they didn't have the name for all the ships. (Here's a much more detailed one with some alternate names, but even a RWBY fan would be hard to make sense out of this especially as it includes shipping one together, so Ruby Rose + Ruby Rose is "Bouquet" and I have no idea how those involve clones, twins from alternate worlds, self-love, or how those ships are even a thing!).

Point being, be glad that the Buffy fandom is an old one, so the ship names are still simple!

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
The only ones I use as legit for me is Bangel and Spuffy. The other ships have been used in so many different ways that I just can't keep up with them!

Sineya
To me the only official names are Bangel, Spuffy and Fuffy because I rarely see them change (although Fuffy can become Baith sometimes).

As a general rule of thumb, shipping names just tend to be a mixture of the two character names. In the Buffyverse we have:

Bangel- Buffy/Angel
Spuffy- Spike/Buffy
Tillow- Tara/Willow
Sprusilla- Spike/Drusilla
Xanya- Xander/Anya
Woz- Willow/Oz (Good job his name wasn't Daniel Anker)
Sparmony- Spike/Harmony
Briley- Buffy/Briley
Dangel- Darla/Angel
Cangel- Cordelia/Angel
Cander- Cordelia/Xander
Killow- Kennedy/Willow
Fuffy- Faith/Buffy

They tend to be the most common Buffy ones.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
@thrasherpix Spu? No one wants their relationship to be described in a way that sounds like "spew" :p

But then you have Biles for Buffy/Giles

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
"Biles" is appropriate in that case :p, and btw I didn't get notification for this
Okay, so just tell me what shipping names (for any ship, Canon or non Canon) do you use in the Buffyverse?
Xander/Spike = Spander
Xander/Angel = Xangel
Xander/Buffy = Bander
Xander/Willow = Xillow
Xander/Anya = Xanya
Xander/Cordelia = Xandelia
Xander/Giles = Gander
Xander/Dawn = Dander
Xander/Larry = Xarry
Xander/Graham = Grander
Xander/Faith = Xaith
Xander/Riley = Rander