1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Angel have just kept the Gem of Amara?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Forever Slayer, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Forever Slayer

Forever Slayer Never felt so good

I mean it didn't enhance his abilities in any way so he could still be restrained and the ring removed if need be so I don't see why he didn't just keep it and take advantage of the perks that it gave.

2. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Agreed. But then there's plot stuff they would have to worry about. Like Olaf's Thor hammer mysteriously never being used until fighting a God, and then mysteriously disappearing again.

3. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I always thought it was more silly not to use it, but Angelus is much more dangerous with it that angel. So I get that. It could have been a better story arc later in the Angel series.

4. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    I have thought about this before and always come to the conclusion that Angel made the right decision destroying it. The moments where Angel makes difficult and selfless choices such as this one is when I can truly recognise that he is a certifiable hero.

For a long time I thought he was worried about the gem falling into the hands of another vampire, but I think that Angel was scared of the threat of Angelus. Angel never would have risked Angelus coming forth again while already wearing the gem.

5. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I never saw any logic whatsoever in destroying the Gem of Amara. It's not as though Angel having it was common knowledge. Vert few people apparently even knew of its existence. Yes, Spike knew , but I seriously doubt, after that one experience, that he was going to be telling any other vampires about it, and Angel never saw Spike as any sort of real threat.

Angel would probably have sense enough to not call attention to himself by going to beach parties, showering in Holy Water, or standing, fists on hips, and laughing when someone tried, and failed, to dust him with a wooden stake. He's dull as a table lamp, granted, but he's not a total imbecile. Superman doesn't go around wearing that stupid blue longjohn outfit all the time. Usually, he's Clark Kent. He wears his suit, and his powers, only when they are needed. Angel could have done the same thing, even going so far as wearing a mask (he did it in Season 8, so the possibility exists) if he wanted to conceal his new found abilities.

There could conceivably have been times when not being susceptible to a vampire's normal weaknesses could, literally, have effected the fate of the world. The Ring could have been saved for those occasions. Yes, the possibility that it might fall into the wrong hands would always exist, but destroying it completely for that reason makes no more sense than if Buffy suddenly decided to destroy the Scythe because it might fall into evil hands, and its unknown magical properties be used to cause harm. If it could activate an army of Slayers, who's to say it couldn't just as easily activate an army of werewolves, tear down a dimensional wall, resurrect every Big Bad Buffy and her friends faced, or DEactivate that Slayer army, or even destroy the entire Slayer line permanently? Is that a valid reason for Buffy to destroy her greatest weapon?

At the most, if Angel, himself didn't feel capable of guarding something like the ring and keeping it safe, he should have returned it to Buffy so that she could have protected it herself.

6. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I think the gem of amara would have made the story less interesting from the perspective that if Angel was unkillable we wouldn't be worried about him as he battled his way to redemption. You need to fear for the heroes life sometimes.

InsectDirigible likes this.
  7. white avenger

Agreed, to the point that Angel shouldn't have worn the ring constantly. (Maybe it could have been established that the ring's power would only last for a specific amount of time before being recharged or somehow allowed to regenerate) It should have been saved for extreme circumstances, such as in averting an apocalypse. It could have been just like Olaf's Hammer, which was there when Buffy needed it, but she didn't use it on a daily basis. If Angel was afraid that he couldn't keep the ring safe, from Spike, Angelus, or anyone else, he should have sent it back to Buffy for safekeeping. It had the potential of being a powerful weapon to aid Buffy in her fight, whether it was used by Angel or someone else. He had no right to destroy it, and doing so was nothing short of irresponsible.

I agree that a totally indestructible protagonist makes for a boring story. That's why kryptonite was originally introduced into Superman's story line. But neither the ring, in Angel's case, nor kryptonite, in Superman's, has to be used in every episode. They can simply be available when they are needed to move the story along.

GoSpuffy likes this.
  8. Forever Slayer

Forever Slayer Never felt so good

Let's not forget that Angel has had his arse handed to him on several occasions without his vampire weaknesses being exploited. So subduing him is always an option no matter if he is wearing the ring or not.

9. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    True. The ring of amara wouldn't have made much difference when Illyria threw Angel out the W&H window. Or when Connor sunk him to the ocean for months. Interesting point.

10. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Rude and not ginger.

Black Thorn
    No, he shouldn't have kept it. The idea of Angel being able to go out during the day is rather dull. Part of his charm is being a creature of the night...and skulking underground, through the sewer pipes. Plus, he might brood less in the sun...and start wearing brighter colours. Nooooo!! Not acceptable. :p

kamui3 and Mr Trick like this.
  11. white avenger

Unless, of course, Illyria had tossed him out that window in broad daylight, just like Angel did the other vampire in Season 1. And, unless, of course, the ring had made it impossible for Connor to subdue Angel in the first place, making it impossible for him to be thrown into the ocean.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

To make that selfless choice added to the Angel character and it made for more compelling television. Its a win all round for me.

13. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I understand from a story pov that Angel couldn't keep the ring, it would have made for a duller story. But in destroying the ring, Angel did not make a logical decision. That ring was a valuable and powerful weapon, and could have been a great asset in his mission. Wearing that ring, he could have helped more people. As has been said, he didn't have to wear it all the time, he could have given it to Cordy or Doyle for safe-keeping. If nothing else, it was a great bargaining chip, he didn't even have to wear it, his enemies just knowing he had it gave him power. It also devalues Buffy's decision to send it to Angel in the first place, she gives him something powerful he could use for good and he destroys it, as @white avenger says, if he didn't want it, just give it back to Buffy.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  14. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    But as the story shows, the ring was always going to be a target for treasure hunters and evil vampires who would use the ring to continue their evil deeds in daytime as well as night. As long as it existed there would always be the threat that someone would steal it or kill whoever was holding it and take it. I could visualize a daytime battle where someone cuts the finger off with the ring on it and there is nothing left but the ring and dust. Sometimes weapons are so powerful that they have to be destroyed to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

15. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    The ring would have been very Precious.

Last Watcher: As long as it doesn't end up in Mordor.......
  16. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I understand what you are saying, but they could have got Willow to magically hide it where no one but Buffy (or whoever) could find it. There are ways to do these things in this verse, and I think destroying it was reckless. If you are on a mission of redemption surely you need every weapon at your disposal, until that weapon has proved to be too dangerous to keep. I'd have given that ring a second chance and kept in magically locked away until I needed it :)

17. white avenger

But, by that logic, Buffy should have destroyed the Scythe immediately after the final battle in Season 7. We saw in Season 8 that at least one other group knew of its existence, and almost used it to cause another apocalypse. And yet, here she is, in Season 11, still carrying the thing around like it was just some common axe or sword, letting the world see it every day. I have guns in my home, and I know that evil people might break in and steal them and use them for their own purposes. That doesn't mean that I destroy them, because of the potential harm that they might be used to create, and I don't try to carry them with me everywhere I go. I lock them away, safely, where they can't be misused. When I want to shoot, I take one out, use it, then put it back in a safe place. Angel could have done the same thing with the Gem of Amara, and it would have been available if and when he really needed it. Barring that, he should have returned it to Buffy and let her place it somewhere for safe keeping.

I realize that, as Angel's story line went, making him the equivalent of Daywalker Blade would have been a mistake, but for practical, strategic reason, he was destroying a weapon that might have one day been of crucial importance. Not all evil beings with plans to destroy the world can be relied on to execute their plans after sunset.

18. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    ^^^

There is a distinction there: if you are concealed carrying or not carrying, no one knows you have a gun. But if Angel is walking outside at noon, everyone who knows what he is will know exactly what he has and where it is. As for a safe place, Spike dug it out of a "safe" place and he is not necessarily the poster child for perseverance. Spike staked Harmony to determine if the ring she was wearing was really the Gem of Amara and her staying alive was proof enough. You could expect assaults like that to take place throughout the life of the ring.

19. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yes Angel should have kept the gem instead of getting rid of it, it was like when Harry Potter destroyed the elder wand:(

Cordeliagirl likes this.
  20. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    But yes, in book, Harry potter hide it in dumbledore office, but in movie he destroy it