• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Caleb have been in more of S7?

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I thought he was a major villain, and he had a great impact, but he came in so late, pretty much at the tail end of the last season. I think the big point of him was to give Buffy something tangible to fight, unlike The First, and recognizable, unlike the Turok-Han and the Bringers, and while I liked him, I'm wondering if he should have been introduced earlier.

I had no trouble taking him seriously as a major bad guy, the first time we meet him makes sure of that, but I've always liked more of the big bads.

TaraSpike

Laura Hollis
Sineya
I always thought it would've been nice to have more of Caleb too! He's one of my favorite villains and Nathan Fillion is never a bad thing, haha.

Anya2012
Anya2012
[No message]
More Caleb would've been awesome! I thought he was a really great villain, and extremely creepy. It would've been interesting if he'd been around earlier, maybe not have him revealed to be in league with The First right away, instead maybe play him up as a good character and then BAM - nope.

But yes, more Nathan Fillion would have been a good thing. :D

funsmiley

Potential
I think it would have been cool to have seen more of him, he was a very different kind of big bad then that we had seen before. But season 7 was mainly based around the First so he just kind of lurked in the background, which was a shame.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
Yes, that's what I keep saying. Having Caleb as the season long villain would've been way better than the mini arc we've seen. It could have opened up so many opportunities to discuss religion, sexism, etc.

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Yes, that's what I keep saying. Having Caleb as the season long villain would've been way better than the mini arc we've seen. It could have opened up so many opportunities to discuss religion, sexism, etc.
I watched the commentary for "Dirty Girls" recently and the writer for the episode (can't remember his name) said that they wanted to really, really emphasis that Caleb was not a priest, and that they didn't want to make a commentary on religion. I agree with what you said about the interesting possibilities like that that more of Caleb would have opened up, but I get why they weren't shooting for that either. Buffy and Angel were never really shows that made a point of commentating on current events or getting preachy (which was something I really appreciated. It was incredibly refreshing having a show that didn't try and tell me how to live. **Are you listening Glee**).

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I watched the commentary for "Dirty Girls" recently and the writer for the episode (can't remember his name) said that they wanted to really, really emphasis that Caleb was not a priest, and that they didn't want to make a commentary on religion. I agree with what you said about the interesting possibilities like that that more of Caleb would have opened up, but I get why they weren't shooting for that either. Buffy and Angel were never really shows that made a point of commentating on current events or getting preachy (which was something I really appreciated. It was incredibly refreshing having a show that didn't try and tell me how to live. **Are you listening Glee**).
Oh yeah, I definitely get the preachy part. I hate that. :p But they could always still address hot button issues like that without turning the show into another PC, after school special. (Yes, 7th Heaven, we're looking at you too.)

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
YES. I loved him. They should used more bibel-quotes with him. Nothing is cooler than a villain who uses bibel-quotes when he justifies his bad actions.

ashleigh

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'm going to have to go against the general consensus and say no way! :p

I didn't like Caleb and wouldn't have minded at all if Buffy had killed him a couple of episodes earlier. I can't really say why I dislike him. Perhaps I should do a rewatch of S7 and see if I can figure out the reason.

It could be that he was affiliated with The First, and I personally feel that The First was the poorest of all the big bads.

Jodast

Hand of the King
Sineya
I think he should have been in much more of S7. CWDP was a great mission statement on behalf of The First, , but there were 10 episodes between that and Dirty Girls, which in my opinion was far too long for the Scoobies to go without something to kick. Caleb, when we finally saw him did some real damage and gave the impression that it wasn't a fluke and he would be back and he would mess stuff up as and when he felt like it. Had Xander lost an eye earlier, the suspense would have been there a lot longer and the middle part of the season may not have seemed quite so mopey. That's a word, right??

R
Robb Stark
meh, it is now
D
drizzlydaze
[No message]

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
I would have loved to have Caleb in more of Season 7. I absolutely adore Caleb as a villain; he's evil, but he's also kinda funny and charming, which is a great combination for a villain to have. Nathan Fillion played Caleb so amazingly; it would have been awesome to have him in more scenes of the final season.

Cali1079

Townie
I loved Caleb. He's so powerful. He rendered Buffy useless with one punch. He definitely should've had more season 7 appearances.

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
You know what I found oddest about Caleb? The amount his power levels fluctuated in the short time he was a part of series. During his first encounter with Buffy, Caleb literally wipes the floor with her, Faith, Spike and about a dozen or so potentials. He doesn't even really break a sweat. If he'd applied any initiative and hunted Buffy down, he easily could have killed her. In his second meeting against Buffy at the abandoned Sunnydale High, he cleans her clock again, and again, it isn't even close. Once again, he doesn't finish her off in a minute of stereotypically nefarious supervillain idiocy.

Then when Buffy and he finally meet in their duel to the death in the final two episodes, Buffy defeats him fairly clean (with a small assist from Angel). Hell, Buffy even turns down Angel's offer of help because she wants to do it herself. Now, granted, Buffy is armed with the mystical Slayer Scythe this time around, but at the same time Caleb has been infused with even more raw power from The First, so much so that he's literally bursting from the eyeballs with it. And...Buffy wins. Just like that.

I don't get it. After everything that had pretty much just happened with Buffy and Caleb, how is it even remotely possible that Buffy can now take him down (in an admittedly great fight with a very satisfying ending)? Seriously. I get that as the her of the show she had to have a tangible victory against the big bad (or in this case it's avatar) and that a combination win with Angel and Spike would have cheapened it a bit, but still, I always think of that when I watch "Chosen".

I
itssmiletime
This, agree.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
I think for Caleb to come in earlier in the last season would have been great idea. He was the greatest villian since Angelus. They should've had him killing every potential he could get his hands on,and it should have taken more than Buffy to kill him,it should have been a multitude against Caleb and still team Buffy barely wins out. That would have made a great challenge for the scoobies.

Top Bottom