• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Should Dawn have died instead of Buffy?

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
I've seen people talk about this topic before, but I haven't seen a thread for it, so I made one :)
Do you think Dawn should have sacrificed herself in 'The Gift' instead of Buffy? Why?

Dora

Scooby
Yes never fully understood why Buffy jumped as Dawn was still bleeding would not the dimensions stayed open , why not just stop Dawn bleeding would the Dimensions not have shut anyway

Faded90

Scooby
It would run the risk of making S5 a bit pointless though. It would have been good character development for Dawn but then would have just been a reset to before she was ever there

Having said that I am someone who would have hated The Gift being the series finale with a fiery passion 😂 The Gift is fantastic when I know it’s not the end but Buffy dying for a lie that was shoved on her would be all kinds of f***ed up. Like I already think the monks are the real villains of S5 (and ongoing - come on guys at least slip the Summers’ some church cash for expenses) but Buffy dying and Sunnydale descending into chaos because these guys were kind of idiots? Man those guys really screwed Buffy over

Stake fodder

Soulless
Do you think Dawn should have sacrificed herself in 'The Gift' instead of Buffy? Why?
It would have been a lot more logical. For one thing, though I like Dawn, it is rather irksome in S5 that everyone else has to risk their lives to protect at all costs this person who didn't even exist a year ago. Secondly, the reasoning that Buffy could be substituted because they had the same blood was rather thin. Why couldn't she have offered herself up to Glory instead of Dawn in the first place then? That seems like something Buffy would do, to protect her sister, with the assumption that she could get out of it later somehow. It also makes some elements irrelevant, such as the Knights of Byzantium wanting to kill Dawn, since doing so would not have defeated Glory's aims.

But I agree with @Faded90 that it would have been anti-climactic for Dawn to die, and silly to reset the season as all a "horrible, horrible dream" (to quote Dallas). If it didn't reset, Buffy would have been undone by the guilt of Dawn dying. But then, that could have worked as well for her depression in S6, though she would no longer have Dawn to help pull her out of it.

So personally, I think Dawn should have sacrificed herself, but story-wise, it wouldn't work as well.

WillowsFaith

Potential
Seeing as the story should have ended with S5, then No. Dawn dying would have made the finale horrible. Also Dawn became more likable and useful in Later seasons. Her relationship with Spike was a great addition, and she was less bratty later on. Plus Buffy needed to sacrifice herself since it’s her Gift

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
This actual subject was spoken of several years ago on this site, at the time I specified why Dawn had asked Buffy to jump. Dawn was quite willing to jump off the tower herself until she looked over the edge, she then spoke to her sis. "Oh alright Buffy, if you insist."

KaitKat

Potential
From a logical standpoint, yes. From a story standpoint, no. I think it would have been crazy to introduce this character, rewrite 5 years of history, turn Buffy’s character from a stereotypical only child to a protective big sister just to have Dawn die. It would be just a step up from the whole Season was a dream in my opinion. It also follows Buffy’s psychology perfectly at this point who told Giles at the beginning of the Gift that she couldn’t keep living in this world if these were the choices she had to make. The girl was tired and welcomed the idea of death and peace, maybe morbid but it’s where her character was.

With that said I do think @Faded90 was right about the monks being that bad guys. They mind rapped everyone that’s a complete violation. I also think it could be said metaphorically Buffy was rapped and forced to care for the resulting child and that she really didn’t have a choice. If metaphorically Buffy is Dawn’s mother that makes since to me.

With that said I find the sisterly relationship between them touching but it’s pretty messed up how it came to be.

Cohen

Hellhound
I thought I read somewhere that said if Dawn were to have died, she would have been erased from the Scoobies' minds. Which would have been a sucky way to end the season and series. Like everything they have worked toward, failed and they didn't even remember why they fought Glory in the first place. So, I don't think it would have been good story wise.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Yes, Dawn should've died. It would've made a far better "ending" if she'd volunteered to do so, and Buffy tearfully agreed. Their last conversation would've shown Dawn's bravery, and Buffy's reluctant willingness to sacrifice her sister to save the world.

Now, if THAT didn't happen, perhaps Connor could've made an appearance...and they both jumped together.

Or, if I'd been a guest star, I would've distracted Buffy by telling her that Angel, Willow, and Spike were being held hostage by a sadistic demon, who specializes in killing vampires and gingers. While she was gone, I'D throw Dawn into the portal. Then I would run like hell, get home, and have some buttered popcorn. 😁

Last edited:
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Them stupid monks got it wrong and gave Dawn a fear of heights so she could not have jumped with Connor, but she could have given him a nudge.
This actual subject was spoken of several years ago on this site, at the time I specified why Dawn had asked Buffy to jump. Dawn was quite willing to jump off the tower herself until she looked over the edge, she then spoke to her sis. "Oh alright Buffy, if you insist."
I laughed so hard at that last part, it's like this as well "Well I'm not going to argue with you there" or "I'm not going to stop you"

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I'm not a Dawn hater because I actually do like her character but I do think she should have been the one to die at the end of season 5. The writers could have still had Buffy go through a depression arc in season 6 because of her failing to save her sister.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
My thoughts exactly.

garfan

Townie
Seeing as the story should have ended with S5, then No. Dawn dying would have made the finale horrible. Also Dawn became more likable and useful in Later seasons. Her relationship with Spike was a great addition, and she was less bratty later on. Plus Buffy needed to sacrifice herself since it’s her Gift

the story should not have ended with Buffy's death. Even if season 6 and 7 sucked Buffy being dead was not acceptable
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

WillowsFaith

Potential
the story should not have ended with Buffy's death. Even if season 6 and 7 sucked Buffy being dead was not acceptable
Post automatically merged:
It would have been a way better ending then what we got. And she has died before and it was fine

garfan

Townie
It would have been a way better ending then what we got. And she has died before and it was fine

she died and got back up. You don't end a show about her being special as a Slayer by showing how she was just like all the other Slayers

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I think about this a lot, actually. It would have been really interesting to see the fallout of this, and how Buffy would have dealt with Dawn's death. I think she would have been just as depressed as she was after coming back from Heaven, so perhaps the narrative wouldn't have changed much?

Top Bottom