• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Doyle have sacrificed himself?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think the episode wouldn't have as much impact had it just been one of the demons that they were trying to save. While I do wish we could have had Doyle for longer, I think it's was a great ending for him.

Mr Trick

Scooby
It worked for the storyline and gave him a great sendoff. If he had to be written out of the show because of on set issues then I think they picked the best way possible.

burrunjor

Potential
Yes, he was atoning for past sins.

I'm just a little sad that he got as horrible a death as Warren. They really weren't holding back with Doyle's death in anyway.

Priceless

Scooby
It was a great ending for the character, especially as he didn't seem much of a hero up to that point. I don't know where his character would have gone if he'd been around for the next four seasons.

I also much prefer Wesley to Doyle, so I'm glad he sacrificed himself so we could get more goofy-Wes.

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
Yes, he was atoning for past sins.

I'm just a little sad that he got as horrible a death as Warren. They really weren't holding back with Doyle's death in anyway.
I disagree with this. Doyle died a hero's death. It was an uncomfortable death, yes, but it was his choice to die the way he did to save the human race. Warren, on the other hand, yelled, "No!" just before Willow dished out his punishment, even though he didn't know what it was going to be. He (Warren) showed no remorse for what he had done, so he died a completely hollow death.

HUGE difference.

Reason: clarification

burrunjor

Potential
I disagree with this. Doyle died a hero's death. It was an uncomfortable death, yes, but it was his choice to die the way he did to save the human race. Warren, on the other hand, yelled, "No!" just before Willow dished out his punishment, even though he didn't know what it was going to be. He (Warren) showed no remorse for what he had done, so he died a completely hollow death.

HUGE difference.
Well obviously Doyle's was more dignified and meaningful, I more just meant in terms of how painful and horrible it is. Poor Doyle basically gets flayed and is alive a lot longer after, and his eyes burn away. It's absolutely horrific.

Top Bottom