• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Harmony get some credit

burrunjor

Potential
For being the only Vampire to try and control her bloodlust on her own violation.

People always go on about Spike being the exception, but I think Harmony is more deserving of the title.

Not to do down Spike, but a lot of his actions can still be rationalised from the point of view of an evil Vampire.

He only doesn't kill because he has the chip. Make no mistake about it, it is never because Buffy would object. In season 6 when he thinks the chip isn't working, he lies to Buffy that it is, and tries to kill an innocent young woman. Had the chip not been working and he realised he fell in love with Buffy he may have tried to sire her instead.

Also his willingness to protect Dawn from Glory though admirable, can be seen as an example of fantacism more than anything else. After all we know Vampire can be fanatics who are willing to die for their cause. If some Vamps are willing to die for masters like Angelus or The Master, then why not Buffy.

Also as many have pointed out his love for Buffy took on many perverse and sick forms, from stalking her, chaining her up and being willing to let Drusilla kill her, to their twisted, sado masochistic relationship when she was depressed to his notorious AR.

The only real act of redemption Spike achieves is to win his soul back, which is very impressive, but even then you can argue that just further highlights that Vampires are irredeemable, as ultimately the only reason Spike did that was because he knew his soulless self could never be a good man. (Credit to his soulless self for realizing that, but the point still stands.)

Harmony meanwhile without a soul did try and stop feeding on people simply because she felt it was the right thing to do. She sought out Cordy and informed her of what she was, letting her defend herself, tried to do good, and went a whole year without eating people at Wolfram and Hart (a job she sought out, only as soon as Angel worked there, who she clearly looked up to as an inspiration,) and comforted people like Wes and Gunn in their darkest moments and risked her life to try and protect Lorne and Eve against Marcus.

Of course in all instances she eventually did relapse, but still to even want to do the right thing is pretty impressive for a Vampire.

Can you imagine Spike going a whole year without eating someone? Angelus (LOL), Darla, Drusilla, The Master, Mr Trick etc resisting feeding on people, without being forced by a soul, a chip, just because it was the right thing to do?

People say she didn't grow up after High School, but I think she did. She clearly developed a moral code of some kind to not want to feed on people anymore.

I'm afraid I haven't read much of the comics so I can't comment on that.

Priceless

Scooby
Harmony definitely deserves some credit. In Season 12 Buffy goes 200 years in to the future, and Harmony is the only vampire of the Buffyverse vamps, that's still around, all the others were dusted. She's a survivor, she fits in however she needs to.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Harmony deserves credit. It's possible that she just wasn't cut out for life as a "traditional" vampire and so sought out a lifestyle that she felt more comfortable in.

thrasherpix

Scooby
She did want to feed on people and had selfish reasons when she didn't. In season 7 only the fear of Angel kept her from feeding, and she loved to torture (got upset when Eve started talking too fast so that Angel made her stop). And she asked for human blood when she thought she could get away with it and IIRC, Hamilton gave her human blood (and if it was his own that could've been really interesting...).

So no, I don't think she deserves more credit than Spike, or vampires who exert just enough self-control to limit themselves to the willing in vampire brothels (where she'd have probably ended up in were it not for W&H).

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
We had the vampire whores who Riley paid to suck on him. They weren't violent, so violence is not universal with vampires.

We had Harmony fight with Xander when she was getting rid of Spike's things and she couldn't do much damage there. We had Dawn accidentally invite Harmony in and everyone survived that too. Her minions almost did her in themselves. I think she thought she would be unable to handle a real fight - she was terrified of the slayer in "The Harsh Light of Day". Fear of the consequences was more of a factor than any self-control.

burrunjor

Potential
We had Harmony fight with Xander when she was getting rid of Spike's things and she couldn't do much damage there. We had Dawn accidentally invite Harmony in and everyone survived that too. Her minions almost did her in themselves. I think she thought she would be unable to handle a real fight - she was terrified of the slayer in "The Harsh Light of Day". Fear of the consequences was more of a factor than any self-control.
She was a better fighter than people give her credit for. Her slapping Xander was at the beginning, but she later learned how to fight, and held her own against Riley and even Spike (though granted she got the drop on him and shot him with several arrows first LOL, but still considering how strong Spike is, and how young she was at that point its not bad.)

She also bested that other Vampire chick ( I forget her name) at Wolfram and Hart, and she also overpowered Xander and Anya at the same time the second time she fought him.

I reckon she could have easily picked off random people on the street no problem. Also being scared of the Slayer doesn't mean she is weak. So was Darla, and Angelus.

The only ones who weren't were Vamps like the Master and Kakistos who had lived so long they were stronger than the Slayer and thus had no reason to be afraid, or Dru who was nuts, or Spike who had a weird, masochistic attraction to them LOL.

Harmony definitely deserves some credit. In Season 12 Buffy goes 200 years in to the future, and Harmony is the only vampire of the Buffyverse vamps, that's still around, all the others were dusted. She's a survivor, she fits in however she needs to.
WOW that's cool. I so wish I could read the comics, but they are ridiculously expensive. Why the hell are they so dear? I don't know anyone that would waste 85 pounds on a graphic novel?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I suppose, but her reasons and motivations aren't really examined. My guess is, newly risen Vampires cling to their humanity, only gradually losing it over time. This is why Darla had Angel kill his family, to demonstrate to him what kind of thing he is now, that he is a Demon in the guise of a man, whereas Harm still thinks she Harm, but with a disease.

I'm also not entirely convinced Harm is a real vampire. We only see a vampire bite her, we don't see her being forced to drink, nor is reason to suspect a vampire would do that in the middle of a battle where she was told, don't drink them. I'm also not clear why her and any other bodies at the site weren't cremated, or at the least, beheaded?

I mean, she was killed in the presence of an True Demon, I kinda like the idea of them warping the normal rules of magic. Like, the Aura of an Old One combined with the Lunar Eclipse changes reality enough that Vampires are strong enough to generate a venomous saliva that kills instantly and then turns the dead in hours. But that's just speculation.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
I've always found Harmony quite weird, as a vampire, she doesn't seems to be vicious/mean & as a creature of darkness she doesn't seems to have a passion for destruction like others do. She's just as carefree as she was as a human (like Cordelia). I don't see a big difference.

Top Bottom