• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Question Should I read the comics?

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
In general, I haven't been very careful in avoiding spoilers for the comics, and for the most part have just found the plot points weird and/or stupid, but as a whole do you believe I should read the comics? Is there any particular reason I should read them (if you can give them spoiler free)? Should I just read some of them?

If I should read them, do you know a place I can read them for cheap or free?

Thank you!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Which comics? The Old Buffy ones or the New Buffy ones?

Priceless

Scooby
I'm one of the few who've enjoyed most of the comics, because more Buffyverse is always good. But it does depend on what you want from the comics. If you are a big Angel fan you will enjoy the IDW Angel comics though I don't think they are canon. Angel & Faith Season 9 is especially good too. You might also enjoy the Boom Angel comics, though they only published 17 issues.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Angel & Faith Season 9 is especially good too.
But would you have to read what preceded it to enjoy it though? Or can one just skip to that? Especially when you consider one doesnt know what happens in the comics leading up to it.

Priceless

Scooby
But would you have to read what preceded it to enjoy it though? Or can one just skip to that? Especially when you consider one doesnt know what happens in the comics leading up to it.
@Miss Muffet said she hasn't avoided spoilers, so I just assumed she knew what happened at the end of Season 8 so could go straight into Season 9. Otherwise, if you have avoided spoilers and know nothing, it would probably be best to read Season 8.

A lot of people jumped into the tv show at odd places, so I don't really know how important it is to know the 'previously on', what do you think?

S
Spanky
I read haven't as have... then when she talked about spoiler free. Yeah, if you know what happens then doesn't really make a difference.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
A lot of people jumped into the tv show at odd places, so I don't really know how important it is to know the 'previously on', what do you think?
What do I think? What do I think? I think those people are wrong and it should never be allowed!! You cannot start watching something half the way through or just at whatever point you want. That is just... omg! Don't even get me started on how much contempt I view those people with. That should never be done. Seriously. Don't talk like that again. It just does my head in.

TriBel

Scooby
If I should read them, do you know a place I can read them for cheap or free?
I'm not sure we can give a link here but put the question into Google - you'll get a hit.

If they're free then just start at the beginning. S8's kinda odd and over the top but I don't mind it. That said, I like S7 (and the comics) so don't take my word for it! 😏
what do you think?
Sigh...you had to ask didn't you (*shakes head sadly*). 😄 @Spanky - I watch things in the right order but Google first to see how they end.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I watch things in the right order but Google first to see how they end.
I find that to be acceptable. A- there are tons of shows where it just goes off the rails and is nice to keep expectations low and B- there have been studies that show when people are "spoiled" by what happens in a movie or show that they actually get more enjoyment, and not less, from watching said property.

V
VampireSlayer07
Same goes for playing games. I got into the dead space series after being spolied on info from the first game.

TriBel

Scooby
there have been studies that show when people are "spoiled" by what happens in a movie or show that they actually get more enjoyment, and not less, from watching said property.
I get that...I hate having to concentrate on plot. This (below) is so tense (I also hate suspense) that I had to google 10 minutes from the end otherwise I'd have switched off. Give me spoilers any day! The only spoiler I consciously avoided was "Who dies?" at the end of Endgame.

S
Spanky
If you ever decide to watch the first season of the Exorcist tv show do NOT read spoilers. I remember watching it when it aired and almost shat myself at one point and it was like the longest wait ever for the next episode. I was like :-O
Black Thorn
Yes you can find some PDF comics online if getting the paperbacks is an issue

fauxindigo

Scooby
Well... if you haven't already started reading.. you should definitely read season 8 if you want to do season 9/Angel & Faith. Something HUGE happens at the end of Season 8 that leads into pretty much the entire premise of Angel & Faith s9. I want to spoil it so bad but A+F s9 is honestly one of the most interesting and fun storylines of the entirety of BTVS&Angel due to Angel & Faith being a great pairing, the history entwined into the story, the atmosphere/setting, new characters and old popping up. I don't want to spoil it but one of the best characters in the show comes into A&F S9 and has one of the best stories in the entire 'verse- better than almost anything she had on the live series.

I got to midway though season 10 and didn't get to finishing it! It wasn't bad, it's just been a crazy last few years.

katmobile

Scooby
Idk - Id say give s8 and After the Fall a go and then try Angel and Faith s9. If you don't like Angel and Faith s9 then yup the comics ain't for you. Then Buffy s.9 or if you get annoyed with it read the synopsis and go to 10, I think 11's pretty good too but do Angel s.10 but don't worry if you don't get on with it. Angel s 11only worth it for the issue with the clock on the front. I'm in two minds about s.12 but it's only four issues.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
IIRC, A Season 8 Motion comic was created. I would watch an episode or two, then decide from there if you think the series is worth pursuing. Season 8 had the most creator involvement, and enjoyed the ballyhoo of being a novel idea, it was intended to sell you on the idea of comics continuing beloved TV series.

As for where to obtain, your library may offer a Hoopla account. Frankly, the selection is biased towards Boom material, but some of the Buffy Legacy line has made it into Hoopla's free material.

As an alternative, Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is among the best this century offers, and should fill that Buffy shaped hole in your heart.

Plasma
Plasma
I second that X-Men statement. Love that run

Kendar

Potential
Well... if you haven't already started reading.. you should definitely read season 8 if you want to do season 9/Angel & Faith. Something HUGE happens at the end of Season 8 that leads into pretty much the entire premise of Angel & Faith s9.
Yeah, while I find Season 8 weak and a bit annoying you really need to read it to understand a lot of the significant issues in the following series (both Buffy and Angel).

Top Bottom