• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should people be responsible for what they do wrong in Sunnydale?

As we all know Sunnydale is full of bad things happening. A lot of the time its regular citizens that are to do with this, especially those at Sunnydale High, whether it's demonic rituals or training demon dogs to attack the prom, chopping up girls for their zombie brother or even sending demon flying monkeys to attack the school play. Obviously what these people are doing is wrong but can they really be held accountable? The hell mouth brings out the evil in people and I don't think all these people would have done such terrible things had they not lived and gone to school directly on top of the hell mouth.

Last edited:

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
The hell mouth brings out the evil in people
No it doesn't. It allows you easier access to what evils you have inside. But you can't blame the hellmouth for people being buttwads. That's like saying Faith never went evil, it was just the hellmouth influencing her.

I don't think all these people would have done such terrible things had they not lived and gone to school directly on top of the hell mouth.
Because they would not have had the opportunity to do them.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm tempted to concede that there are perhaps extenuating circumstances for that alone, and yet I just can't for training demon dogs to attack the prom, chopping up girls for their zombie brother or even sending demon flying monkeys to attack the school play. These take a lot of effort as opposed to suddenly picking up a knife beside you and going psycho in a weak moment.

OTOH, I don't think it's so much extenuating as it is the Hellmouth gives opportunities they otherwise would not. (That is, the reason we don't get news of disgruntled kids training demon dogs to attack the prom is because there are no demon dogs. Some manage to get hold of some guns, however.)

Dora

Scooby
Andrew? why was Andrew never made to pay for his crimes

S
scoobyganggang
Yeah, that guy should have gone straight to prison. He wasn't even particularly useful.
No it doesn't. It allows you easier access to what evils you have inside. But you can't blame the hellmouth for people being buttwads. That's like saying Faith never went evil, it was just the hellmouth influencing her.

Because they would not have had the opportunity to do them.

I agree they wouldn't have had the opportunity but do you think there's a case to be made that not all of these kids were potential murderers had they not grown up in a less hell energy abundant town?

Spanky
Spanky
As I said, no, I don't. Just less chance to act upon it.

biconanya

Townie
i mean yeah i get that living under a hellscape of demons wouldn't sit well for anybody, but the show also took real high school and life situations and just mixed in the supernatural. it just gave the people with bad intentions some advantages for doing even crazier stuff

Top Bottom