• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Slayers have been more super power endowed

AngelBuffy

Townie
In the buffyverse slayers are far from the strongest beings. I don't even think they will make the top 5. what is the point of having a slayer when there are vengeance demons, gods, illyeria and witches. a stand slayer can easily be killed by a vampire. when the vampires wont never touch witches or gods in a battle.

Apart from supernatural dreams that could expose things or warn them, Slayers also don't posses any other power set apart from fighting physically. glory can run nearly as fast as light and punch holes into barriers. vengeance demons and live for thousand of years and can teleport to different places and they have empathy powers, witches can basically do anything with their magic, illyeria can stop time. Slayers dont really posses any high impressive abilities compared to what I mentioned.

this is also why most of season 5 makes no sense. the monks have the power to turn green energy into human . that is a godlike power, why send it to a slayer who is just an advanced superhuman and can easily be killed. a group of people that can bend reality like the monks did, dont really need a slayer to protect a key. they already have supernatural powers beyond slayers. they should have bent reality to make ben/glory forget who or what they are but we know it will not serve the plot of season 5 and dawn.

perhaps slayers should have had telekinesis, been able to control some weather elements or posses levitation flight or have star wars force choke powers. If you were in the buffyverse, would you really want to have slayer powers? when you could have the power of vengeance demons, witches or gods?

I mean its almost unbelievable and unrealistic that slayers are seen as the most important physical fighting superheroes in the buffyverse. that would be like making captain america the most important superhero based on his physical abilities in the marvel universe, which would not make any sense when characters like Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch, Magneto, Professor Xavier , Hulk and Thor exist.

Joss should have given slayers more supernatural powers.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Joss should have given slayers more supernatural powers
I think it's more, he made the villains too big. If we stuck with the vampires, she is a vampire slayer so it would have worked better, but after season 2 it expanded to other supernatural beings.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@AngelBuffy There are two things at play here:

1. The watchers want the slayer kept under their control, they can't do that if she's an all powerful being.

2. The writers need the audience to believe that Buffy is at risk of dying in the line of duty in order to keep the suspense. If Buffy can curb stomp her way through fights then the audience will quickly lose interest.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
The genius of Slayers to me is that they're really just overpowered humans, they're just women who are really strong and can fight really well. That's what makes them the greatest superheroes to me :)
Sure they might not win against most things out there but that doesn't take away from what they can do. Buffy in particular wasn't the strongest but she put effort into training to hold her own against more powerful beings and often outsmarted them.

TriBel

Scooby
Makes perfect sense to me. Her normality is the whole point: she's a hero not a super-hero. Aside from her enhanced strength, she's just a normal girl who, with much determination and the help of her friends, is able to defeat the powers of darkness who are, ostensibly, stronger. Every woman has the potential (on one level) to be Buffy. It's the classic hero formula (the Campbell referred to is Joseph Campbell - Whedon acknowledges his influence) :

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself,” according to Campbell’s definition. Anyone can become a hero—on purpose or even accidentally. But it involves a painful evolution that is a prerequisite to greatness.

The 12 steps, as Campbell defined them, begin with a call to adventure, a challenge or quest that presents itself to an ordinary person in the ordinary world. Initially, the person is afraid and refuses that call. But with guidance from a mentor or a text, they overcome their fears, cross the threshold, and commit to the journey.

Along the way, they are tested, meet allies and enemies, and prepare for an ordeal—some kind of showdown or difficulty that will truly test their mettle. The ordeal forces them to face their worst fears. And when they survive this, the ordinary person is a hero and is rewarded, usually with knowledge or insight.

The reward’s not the end of the story, however. Next, the hero must return to the ordinary world where the journey began, transformed by their experience. Finally, the reborn hero shares what they’ve learned on the journey with others.

white avenger

white avenger
The genius of Slayers to me is that they're really just overpowered humans, they're just women who are really strong and can fight really well. That's what makes them the greatest superheroes to me
Pretty much so. I look at it like this: The Slayers aren't actually in any way superhuman, they are just humans developed to the ultimate peak performance that is humanly possible to attain. Whereas a frightened mother, who could barely lift a 50 pound bag of dog food on on a good day, can find the strength to lift a car off of her injured child. The Slayer works at that peak on a pretty much daily basis. She's no stronger or faster than is humanly possible, but she is as strong, when the power is needed, as is humanly possible. (I hope that makes sense) The Slayer is the Captain America of the Buffyverse.

TriBel
TriBel
"The Slayer is the Captain America of the Buffyverse". Agree - nearly made the same comment myself.

TriBel

Scooby
The reward’s not the end of the story, however. [REWARD = THE GIFT. THIS IS THE END OF S5] Next, the hero must return to the ordinary world where the journey began, transformed by their experience. [S6] Finally, the reborn hero shares what they’ve learned on the journey with others. [S7]

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It doesn't make for an entertaining show if Buffy always wins. It was also my understanding that the Shadowmen were more than willing to grant her more power at the cost of her humanity, and she turned them down.

Top Bottom