• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should we have seen more of Tara's magic?

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
YEEES!!!! That´s one of the reasons I love bargaining so much! Because Tara finally uses her magic!
I know she doesn´t want magic to be overused and I respect and understand that, but having that power and almost never seeing her use it when they fight against demons etc, was sad. :( So yeah I would have liked some more magic from Tara.

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yes. This is an action adventure series where the side of good is determined by physical resistance to evil. Her gods should welcome the opportunity to fight, or whatever. But beyond that, Tara grows less insufferable with character development, so either giving her a concentration or a specialty beyond witchcraft would have been interesting. Like Tara uses white magic and Willow uses black. Or Willow uses Jewish magic or Tara uses hill folk hoodoo, or something.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think there were ways of showing more instances of Tara using magic and having it be meaningful.

Season 4 had Tara practicing spells with Willow on the regular, floating a rose is hardly a necessary use of magic. That's the problem with retconning magic into a drugs metaphor for Willow, it makes Tara look hypocritical.

Taake

Kissing Toast
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, it felt like she was quickly overshadowed by Willow in power, but it would've been nice to see her as something more than the naggy girlfriend who's warning Will about magic. If Tara had been shown practicing, what I'm assuming is a more natural kind of magic (as it seemed to run in her family), we could've gotten a more balanced view of how magic works in the verse. It's either magic sexiness, looking for stuff under the sofa in hell, or general corruption and mayhem. Those things are really fun, don't get me wrong, but seeing Tara practice her craft more would also have rounded out her character.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I would have liked her far more if she was more useful as a character. So yes, I think she should have used more magic in battles. Or even like foresight.

Top Bottom