• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Should Wesley have told?

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
Should Wesley have told the group about the prophecy "the father will kill the son" before taking actions into his own hands?

Even though the prophecy was false, do you think him telling would have changed events? I feel like maybe Angel would have still given Connor up somehow if he thought he might hurt him. Difference is, it would have been Angel's choice to make rather than Wesley's to make for him.

Did Wesley do the right thing?

BuffyBot22

Scooby
Wesley most definitely should have told Angel.
He had worked with Angel all this time. He knew what kind of man Angel was. If Angel thought for a second he would kill his own son, he would have tried to find a way to give him a better life. Of course, he probably would have looked into the prophecy first, but if he thought it was unavoidable he would have found Connor a good home.

I think this is part of the reason Angel is so angry. How could Wesley think so low of Angel after all this time. Not to mention by him not telling him it went incredibly worse than if he had just told Angel. It was a very poor decision.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Wesley never looked at the other part of this: a child of two vampires is something that had never happened before. He may very well have been evil and the father may have had to kill the son. Wesley should definitely have told Angel. Angel should have been suspicious of Darla's return by black magic conducted by Wolfram & Hart. At the end of Season 4 we see Connor attacking a mall and Angel is forced to make a choice - kill his son or have Wolfram & Hart secure Connor's adoption by a normal family with Connor being normal and happy even though he has memories of Angel and Quor'toth. This is the point where Angel capitulates and joins Evil Incorporated.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
It's Wesley's worst moment imo. He absolutely should have told Angel. He had good intentions but terrible actions. Even if he didn't believe that Angel was a loving and good person, which he did, it was Angel's right to know. And Wesley should have thought about the possibility that maybe telling Angel about it would prevent it, since Angel would react by being extra careful at all costs. Wesley often is blinded by love and makes the wrong decision, but in this case I'm afraid he was blinded by fear, something much weaker and significantly less admirable.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, he should've told. It is an incredible betrayal that he didn't and thought he could 'fix' it on his own. It was as though he was Buffy season 3 Wesley again, who trusted his own judgement above all else, and who was consistently humbled in that area. I honestly cannot see why he didn't just talk to Angel, except if you argue that he didn't trust him at all. As a Watcher he knew that prophecies are unreliable. I wonder though, if Cordy had been around, if he would have at least talked to her and maybe they could've faced Angel together.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Totally agree!

Priceless

Scooby
Agree with everything that has been said, Wesley most certainly should have discussed the prophecy with Angel before making any unilateral decisions. It does speak to Wesley's personality, in that he is and remains a deeply paranoid person, continually believing the worst of others.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Yes. At the very least he should have confided in Cordy and Gunn. Him thinking he could solve this in his own was incredibly stupid.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Wesley should have told someone for sure! It actually doesn't make much sense that we wouldn't tell either Gunn or Cordelia and find a way to protect Connor from Angel if necessary. I would even see it logical for Angel to have a plan for Connor's protection if even he would go evil again because Angel usually always plan to be evil again so that the people he loves are safe (and to not repeat S2 of Buffy). But then again if he had told someone we wouldn't have the most beautiful and heartbreaking story of S3...

Yes, he should've told. It is an incredible betrayal that he didn't and thought he could 'fix' it on his own. It was as though he was Buffy season 3 Wesley again, who trusted his own judgement above all else, and who was consistently humbled in that area. I honestly cannot see why he didn't just talk to Angel, except if you argue that he didn't trust him at all. As a Watcher he knew that prophecies are unreliable. I wonder though, if Cordy had been around, if he would have at least talked to her and maybe they could've faced Angel together.
I think Cordelia needed to be out of the picturte for Wes to achieve his betrayal or else she would have sense that something was wrong with him!

Antho

Scooby
Where I find it hard to understand his attitude and his reasoning is when he's going to talk to Holtz and Justine !
So he's not telling Angel the truth, but he's going to see his worst enemy (at that moment) o_Oo_Oo_O he plays with the fire ^^

Last edited:
buffy1990
buffy1990
Right? And then that backfired bigtime!

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Where I find it hard to understand his attitude and his reasoning is when he's going to talk to Holtz and Justine !
So he's not telling Angel the truth, but he's going to see his worst enemy (at that moment) o_Oo_Oo_O he plays with the fire ^^
Right, and this same guy can’t talk about it to Gunn or Fred because they’re dating?

white avenger

white avenger
I think that Wes should have told the rest of the gang. They could have worked together to get Connor safely away from Angel, then, and only then, Cordy, who would not have gone with the others when they took the baby, and would therefore be unable to him where Connor was, could have taken Angel aside and explained what they had done and their reasons for doing it. Why do it that way? Simply because there was no assurance that Angel would have seen the logic behind their actions, and Cordy would have been the one that he would have been the most apt to listen to explain. Also, she would be the one least likely to be killed if he didn't buy into the plan.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Objectively, yes he should have, but it makes total sense why he did not. And from his perspective he was correct in not saying anything.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Of course he should have. But if all characters actually did sensible and rational things all the time there would be no drama.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

God King of the Primordium
Black Thorn
Wesley screwed up by taking the baby. Yes, he should've sat down with everyone and explained his concerns about the prophecy. And they all could've worked something out, as a team. Just...he really screwed up.

*NOTE: To me, it felt really out of character for him to just do something so unforgivable. He's quite intelligent, so why did he not explore the veracity of this prophecy BEFORE acting on his own?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Wesley screwed up by taking the baby. Yes, he should've sat down with everyone and explained his concerns about the prophecy. And they all could've worked something out, as a team. Just...he really screwed up.

*NOTE: To me, it felt really out of character for him to just do something so unforgivable. He's quite intelligent, so why did he not explore the veracity of this prophecy BEFORE acting on his own?
1- Angel was already starting to feel the effects of sampling Connor's blood so don't know how he would react.
2- Wes was at one point an esteemed member of the Watcher's Council where he was trained to act without consulting those beneath him such as:
3- The rest of the team had their own little infatuation with Angel going on. Gun was blindly devoted to Fred, who adored Angel and would do anything he said, and Cordy sacrificed her health and happiness to get close to and work with Angel. None of them could really be trusted to be impartial.
4- Once Connor is moved away from Angel where he can't get to his favorite little snack food, then he would talk to him about it, and let Connor's blood get out of Angel's system.

From Wes' point of view it makes perfect sense.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Also, I remember Wes was the leader of the group at this point so it could be logical for him to take action without consulting others. Angel actually didi it a lot of time in the earlier season so it could be argued that Wes felt it would be better for him to make the tough choice on his own.

Top Bottom